Mat Smith's Writing is Unpleasant [RANT]

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Davelozzi said:
While I'll admit that I don't like his writing style, my main problem with the column is the fact that it's not timely. Half of the stuff that he describes as in the works has hit the stores by the time it gets posted, and most of the info he gives it is already common knowledge by the time it goes up. Admittedly, it might not be as common to the average joe on the streets who doesn't follow RPG news online, but then it's the online fans that have access to the column.

This is a great point. I noticed this too. I mean, I often have had much of what is being promo'ed for weeks, sometimes even longer, by the time the column appears. This makes the question of the target demographics even more difficult to fathom, as Davelozzi points out.

alsih2o

First Post
TrizzlWizzl said:

I wasn't aware that posting a rant would illicit such venom towards me personally.

oddly, it seems to me (especially from the quote you used above this) that you are shocked, and personally offended when someone criticizes YOUR writing.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
alsih2o said:

oddly, it seems to me (especially from the quote you used above this) that you are shocked, and personally offended when someone criticizes YOUR writing.

I think he's already addressed the main problems people were having; no offense, but it's starting to look like you want this to be a flame war, at least from this angle. Having read many of your posts, I don't really think that is your desire.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
A couple of questions:

* What's his job title? I've gotten the impression that he's some schmoe who works in the business office or something; as such, he may not be a professional writer. His writing doesn't usually grab my attention, but it's also not nearly as bad as a lot of nonwriters' writing.
* What's the point of the column? I'm guessing it's to get folks excited about upcoming products, but considering its nontimely nature, I'm also guessing it's part and parcel of WOTC's problematic Web presence.
* What's the point of criticizing him so harshly here? He's a schmoe like you and me, and I know that if I were doing my job, it'd make my day suck to come to a messageboard and read an attack like this on me.

I'd love to see suggestions here of the tone Mr. Smith (or the WOTC site in general) should take in such a column. Should it be less chatty? Should it read like catalog copy? Should it consist of excerpts from the upcoming products? How would such a column look in your ideal world?

For me, I think the column would have no first-person perspective, and indeed, each column would not be a unified piece: instead, it would be a series of paragraph-long teasers for upcoming works. Instead of imagining the column as an excited gamer describing product to you, imagine it as the series of previews you watch before a movie.

Daniel

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Also, they guy's probably SEVERELY limited in what he can reveal. It'd be grand to have an excerpt, but I think that he's not allowed to reveal it at all...which limits the point of an internet article greatly, sine we already get a bit of a peek at what things like Dragon offer, which is often more detailed than what exists on that site...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
OK, folks, the issue of whether or not it's OK to criticise someone or whether or not it's OK to be rude about someone who's work you don't like (along with the issue of whether or not TrizzlWizzl actually did that) has been resolved.

It's an interesting discussion, so if we could stay on topic, I'd love to see what poeple think of the subject in question.

Personally - I don't like the style, although I imagine that Matt Smith is told to write in this manner (everything goes through editors etc. - it's not a solo venture, despite his name on the article). WotC evidently approve of the style.

So the question really is: are WotC misjudging their audience here? Possibly. But then, I can't honestly say that it bother me enough to make me stop reading the column - whether you like the style or not, it does serve it's pupose, which is essentially to advertise WotC's upcoming products.

The main thng which irritates me about the column is that it's kind of presented as though he's an insider sharing what he's found out with the world; yet he thinks *every single*release is "awesome" (of course, he would - WotC aren't going to let him write a column criticising their work). For that reason, I take it all with a pinch of salt.

I'd much rather just see a factual column, without "recommendations" disguised as the author's personal opinion.

Last edited:

Olive

Explorer
Pielorinho said:
A couple of questions:

* What's his job title? I've gotten the impression that he's some schmoe who works in the business office or something; as such, he may not be a professional writer. His writing doesn't usually grab my attention, but it's also not nearly as bad as a lot of nonwriters' writing.

it describes him at the bottom of the articles as a copy writer...

"Mat Smith is a copywriter who has been playing roleplaying games for a disturbing number of years, and now he gets to spend an astonishing amount of time thinking about clever ways to get more people to do the same."

to be fair, the new one does mention a whole heap of stuff that isn't out yet (fiend folio etc). And while some of these things don't tell us web savvy rumour hunters much, if you are a more casual fan they might be very useful.

Kamikaze Midget said:
one of the elements of poopshootery.
Poopshootery?

Hey, you're right. You gotta laugh after you put that phrase in a post! :)

Originally posted by ColonelHardisson
Anyway, I'm sure that Smith's essays/PR have to be approved by someone
Yes, probably the same person who approved the "play til it hurts" ad. :)

Remove ads