• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mat Smith's Writing is Unpleasant [RANT]

Aitch Eye

First Post
Just for a little context on Smith, he wrote the article on magic castle walls in Dragon #295 (the stronghold builder's guide tie-in). He also handled the "Epic-Level Countdown" previews for Dragon, which were hypey(sp?) but less telescoped and more to the point than the web pieces, closer to the style of the next issue sidebars.

Last edited:

TrizzlWizzl

First Post
I guess what really troubles me is the idea that WotC's marketing staff thinks I'm the kind of person that goes in for the manner of flim flam set down by Mr. Smith. If that's the kind of audience they think they have it seems only logical that they will produce products geared for that audience, which I would very much like to see not happen.

I understand also that Mat has editors and what not, but considering how no other WotC content segments it's sentences in an attempt to be "cool".

In annoying ways.

Like this.

Then I'm putting the bulk of style responsibility at the feet of Mr. Smith first and his higher-ups second.

The point has been made that it is a free feature after all and if I don't like it I can just not read it. That is, of course, true. However we live in a capitalist system and until demand changes supply will no doubt remain the same. Like I said in the opening post, I want to find out kewl stuff about the new books... there's stuff in Mat Smith's column that I would be interested to know I just absolutley despise having to wade through his self indulgant nonsense to get to it.

The point has also been made that the column is "free". I spend maybe $10-$40 a month on WotC books, so frankly I would hardly call the website "free". As a loyal customer of WotC I frankly demand high quality prodcuts, up to and including the website.

The point of the column is obviously to increase product and brand awareness, so obviously the job fell to the staff copy writer. That was just a bad move IMHO. Mat Smith writes two line blocks of copy for the ads, and that's what the In the Works column reads like... with every line I feel like he's trying to sell me something. It's like walking into a car dealship.

So with all the bitching and whining is there something I would actually approve of? Of course, starting with a massive scaling back of the personalization of the column. I want to know about the book, not Mr. Smith's feelings about it. Pulling back on the superlatives would help too. Describing the product without using "cool" or "neat-o" or "amazing" etc. would be a vast improvement. Chilling out on the apostophes would kick ass (no more with the havin', that'll, got 'em), as the author uses them frequently and rarely to any kind of purpose.

Basicly, the less cheesy and corney the better. Cheesy and corney has it's place around the gaming table, but in the actual written material I'd much prefer a more stately "tolkienesque" approach.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I don't mind him spotlighting items that were out recently. Let's face it - a lot of us will get the new D&D product regardless of whether or not he mentions it.

Remember there has been a lot of criticism of Dragon for spotlighting "just released" items when not everyone has them yet...

The column itself is probably caught in an uncomfortable crack: they don't want to reveal too much, but neither do they want to reveal too little.

Personally, I feel that he's trying to be amusing without having quite the gift for it that some like (say) Mark Rosewater does. It's almost there, but not quite. And that 'not quite' makes it extremely irritating!

Cheers!

alsih2o

First Post
perhaps it is a generational thing to some degree, what bit i have seen reminds me of the old stan lee "everything marvel is the greatest" updates you used to see in the back of spiderman or the avengers.

perhaps being raised with a certain amount of literary pablum in our fantasy entertainment diet has left some of us with a near neutral palette in regards to overornamented praise for ones own product :)

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
TrizzlWizzl said:
The point has also been made that the column is "free". I spend maybe $10-$40 a month on WotC books, so frankly I would hardly call the website "free". As a loyal customer of WotC I frankly demand high quality prodcuts, up to and including the website.

WotC is selling you their books, not their website. Their website is a freebie, a perk, an extra. You may not like their website, or the content found there in, but you are not paying for it either. Just like eratta, WotC doesn't have to do these things. When you buy a book, you buy the content that is contained between the covers, nothing more.

alsih2o

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:

Having read many of your posts, I don't really think that is your desire.

it isn't, it wasn't...reading back i can see i more than pushed the borders of making my point.

apologies all around for the extra step, especiallty to trizzlwizzl.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I do find it somewhat cheesy to read what is basically a glorified advertisement. It sort of illicits the "marketing vs. R&D" conflict I've heard exists in just about every company. R&D wants to explain what product X does in neutral, factual terms. Marketing wants to cover blemishes and highlight strengths ... to the extreme. But I'm willing to wade through the crud if I can get a glimmer of some information on product X that I didn't have before.

Daiymo

First Post
Wormwood said:
And to be fair, I don't mind his style one bit. Better than bland ad copy, anyway.

I think that Mat Smith's column is ad copy, disguised as "content", and that explains the style of his writing. Its much in the same vein of those paid advertisements you find in periodicals that mimic non-ad content in a magazine or newspaper. Its just fluff.

I too just go there to read the sidebar and get a synopsis of what on the horizon-but I rarely go to the official website these days anyway.

EDIT: Doh EN- Ya beat me to it! Great minds think alike!

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
alsih2o said:

perhaps being raised with a certain amount of literary pablum in our fantasy entertainment diet has left some of us with a near neutral palette

Palate.

Hong "iconic pedant" Ooi

mmadsen

First Post
Well, as long as we're correcting spelling errors:

Main Entry: elic·it
Pronunciation: i-'li-s&t
Function: transitive verb
Etymology: Latin elicitus, past participle of elicere, from e- + lacere to allure
Date: 1605
1 : to draw forth or bring out (something latent or potential) <hypnotism elicited his hidden fears>
2 : to call forth or draw out (as information or a response) <her remarks elicited cheers>
synonym see EDUCE

Main Entry: il·lic·it
Pronunciation: (")i(l)-'li-s&t
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin illicitus, from in- + licitus lawful -- more at LICIT
Date: 1506
: not permitted : UNLAWFUL
- il·lic·it·ly adverb

Others already caught puerile and palate.

Remove ads