D&D 5E Can you see when you're Blinded?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't envy you. A table of rules lawyers who nitpick to the precision of a comma? Not the type of people I'd enjoy gaming with.

But no, you can't see.

Astrosicebear

First Post
Also if you wish to further humiliate them, that sentence, “A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight” does not include a list, so they are correct in that astute observation. However, the and in question joins two thoughts and is strictly working as it should, a conjunction.

Ex.: Hemingway was renowned for his clear style and his insights into American notions of male identity. By their definition Hemingway would not be renowned for his clear style.

The Oxford Comma, or serial comma, is a comma that is often left off the trailing item in a list. So their whole argument is invalid, and they even proved it themselves by saying its not a list. How can the sentence have an oxford comma if its not a list?

So not only are they wrong about the comma, they are wrong about the sneak attack. And even if by some miracle it had a comma, it would still not invalidate the first segment, merely separate the list.

They couldn't be MORE wrong about anything ever.

...except how to play Dungeons and Dragons

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
I don't envy you. A table of rules lawyers who nitpick to the precision of a comma? Not the type of people I'd enjoy gaming with.

But no, you can't see.

The comma in this last sentence is throwing me off. Do you mean:

No, the OP can't see, or that he's blind, and the rules will sneak attack him?

am181d

Adventurer
All because of in the rules for the blinded condition it says “A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight”, according to him, because if the lack of an oxford comma before the “and”, it is not a list and so the “automatically fails any ability check..” is the sum total of his impairment, as well as the next bullet point about his attacks having disadvantage.

Oxford commas only appear in lists of three or more items (e.g. A, B, or C rather than A, B or C). They are are a stylistic choice and have no impact on meaning. They certainly wouldn't negate part of an and-clause.

So:
1) they are wrong that the sentence COULD have an Oxford comma
2) even if the sentence COULD have an Oxford comma, it wouldn't NEED to
3) even if the sentence DID have an Oxford comma, it wouldn't affect meaning

If I had to guess, they were just trolling you.

Dausuul

Legend
This may seem like a stupid question, but the rest of my group believes that you can see when you have the Blinded condition.

Last night our rogue was blinded, but according to his interpretation of the rules, and in agreement with the rest of the table, he had no visual impairment and could navigate the battlefield flawlessly and sneak attack. All because of in the rules for the blinded condition it says “A blinded creature can’t see and automatically fails any ability check that requires sight”, according to him, because if the lack of an oxford comma before the “and”, it is not a list and so the “automatically fails any ability check..” is the sum total of his impairment, as well as the next bullet point about his attacks having disadvantage. Pretty much everyone else agreed that he could see things.

Uh... what? This is just... bwah? Huh?

I cannot think of any way to read that sentence which doesn't lead to "a blinded creature can't see," regardless of whether or not there is an Oxford comma. Your group needs remedial English classes, or a smack upside the head for giving rules lawyers a bad name. (As a rules lawyer myself, how do I go about getting another rules lawyer disbarred?)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't normally say this, but that's the most ridiculous rules interpretation I've ever heard. You're kidding, right?

It is a bit extreme, but... let's think about this a bit. Those of us who are not blind may be jumping a bit to conclusions.

In the real world, "blind" does not mean "I exist in total, impenetrable blackness". There are variations and gradations. My father went blind via macular degeneration. He couldn't drive, but could walk around just fine without guide, dog, or cane. He couldn't read, or tell any detail of things in the center of his field of view, but he could tell the color of the shirt you were wearing, could go shopping based on the shapes and colors of familiar products, and could even hold down a job as stock help in a grocery store. He couldn't manage a duel, of course, but he could dance with my Mom at my wedding.

So, we may need to consider some nuance. Think carefully about what requires a check. You require a check to make an attack, but you don't require one to walk across a room.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Hahahahahahahah!!

Snort.

No offense, but your players are either idiots or trying to game the system like I've never seen.

Probably both.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
This may seem like a stupid question, but the rest of my group believes that you can see when you have the Blinded condition.
(snip)
I'd like to get a reality check from the rest of you to see whether I'm an outlier or not. I know there are different play styles, but I was gobsmacked.
Just carefully stand up, then disengage from that gaming group.

Gobsmacked is too mild.

And I thought I'd heard it all.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
It is a bit extreme, but... let's think about this a bit.

In the real world, "blind" does not mean "I exist in total, impenetrable blackness". There are variations and gradations. -snip-

So, we may need to consider some nuance. Think carefully about what requires a check. You require a check to make an attack, but you don't require one to walk across a room.

I am sorry for your father, but...this is flat out bollocks.

The condition states, flat out, "[you] CAN'T SEE..." Not "you could be interpreted to have something akin to macular degeneration...weigh the possible gradations."

You can't seriously be suggesting there is "nuance" to consider here. I'm gonna assume you are making a joke about this group's obviously ridiculous and so wrong as to be be nearly inconceivable "rules interpretation"?:cool:

Remove ads