D&D 5E Can you see when you're Blinded?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
After rereading the OP, we may all be overreacting a bit. Remember that we are only seeing one side of the argument, and the OP's contention was that the blinded character should have issues with simply walking around; which does not comport with the rules (no movement penalty for being blind).

Now, if the group really was claiming that "blinded creatures can't see" doesn't mean blinded creatures can't see, that's absurd and a disgrace to the whole rules-lawyering profession. But if they were simply arguing that a blinded PC can move at full speed, that's quite different.

I'm trying to see the other side of the argument, but my tears are blinding me. So I can't see.

Thaumaturge.

Mr Fixit

Explorer
I'm trying to see the other side of the argument, but my tears are blinding me. So I can't see.

Thaumaturge.

I'll allow you a free action to wipe your tears. From a single eye, that is. If you want both, you'll need to Use an Object action. We are talking about interacting with TWO objects, after all.

Dausuul

Legend

Well, that's the thing, we don't know the other side. The OP may have misunderstood or misrepresented what the rest of the group was saying. On the single clear point of contention--can the blinded rogue move around the battlefield without penalty?--I'm in agreement with the group: Yes, he can, unless the battlefield changes or he moves into unfamiliar terrain.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Hilarious opening post. As DM I would impose movement penalties for being blind too, at least in the sense of you dont know which direction youre going without a wisdom check. Yes, you can run full speed while blind, but who knows where you'll end up. In normal conditions I'd call it an easy check (or no check if your surroundings are very familiar). In the heat of battle, a hard check (DC 20?)

Skyscraper

Explorer
Well, that's the thing, we don't know the other side. The OP may have misunderstood or misrepresented what the rest of the group was saying. On the single clear point of contention--can the blinded rogue move around the battlefield without penalty?--I'm in agreement with the group: Yes, he can, unless the battlefield changes or he moves into unfamiliar terrain.

I can't talk for others, but I, for one, assume that the group didn't think that the blinded rogue could actually see; they were contending that the blind rogue could move and act without penalty. Which makes no more sense. I know it might not be written in the PHB that you can't actually act normally if you can't see, for example by moving around as usual around a battlefield; but then again, the PHB doens't state that getting your legs cut off prevents you from walking or running, either. There is that moment in one's RPGing life when one must decide to look beyond what is written in the book. Otherwise, you're playing a tactical board game. (Which is fine, it's simply not an RPG.)

was

Adventurer
This interpretation is more than a bit ridiculous. However, if that's the way they want to play it you should write it down. Include the situation and date. That way if your character ever gets blinded you should get the same perks.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
On the single clear point of contention--can the blinded rogue move around the battlefield without penalty?--I'm in agreement with the group: Yes, he can, unless the battlefield changes or he moves into unfamiliar terrain.

I'm with you on that one. Being blinded is a pretty harsh penalty without impeding movement (where it makes sense). Keep in mind that in addition to having disadvantage on attacks or any skill check requiring sight, you also don't threaten spaces around you.

There's one more small detail which could be important here; how was the character blinded? In the case of a magic spell or curse, or a darkness spell, then yes, the character is completely unable to see. If the character takes some toxic spit to his eyes, as a DM, you'd be within your rights to say the character can distinguish shapes through the tears. Not enough to lose the disadvantage, but enough to navigate a battlefield.

In my opinion, the biggest crime of the rules lawyering was that the rogue kept his sneak attack. That's absurd.

Remove ads