D&D 5E [5e] The Lichway - Old School Dungeon with new school rules.

Brother Dave

First Post
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] - How old is Ethian? I have Ren at 19 now - I'm thinking he was orphaned at around 11 or 12, and was on the street for at least several months before getting noticed/caught and taken to the church at around age 13. If Ethian was taken in as a toddler, he would have been well established long before Ren got there. I know half elves live longer than humans, so I'm trying to figure out whether the two were around the same age when Ren showed up, or if Ethian was the 'older boy who showed him the ropes'.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
[MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION] - How old is Ethian? I have Ren at 19 now - I'm thinking he was orphaned at around 11 or 12, and was on the street for at least several months before getting noticed/caught and taken to the church at around age 13. If Ethian was taken in as a toddler, he would have been well established long before Ren got there. I know half elves live longer than humans, so I'm trying to figure out whether the two were around the same age when Ren showed up, or if Ethian was the 'older boy who showed him the ropes'.

[MENTION=80003]Brother Dave[/MENTION] - I hadn't really thought about it, and perhaps he doesn`t even know. Half elves are supposed to mature at the same rate as humans, so he can either be younger or older, but I figured they would be around the same age. So when Ren came to the orphanage, Ethian had been there for about 8 years. Yeah he showed him the ropes, and was glad that a kid was finally not affraid of him and his powers.

Dr Simon

Explorer
I like the connected backgrounds, and it's given me an extra dimension I can add to the adventure as well. More on that later, when I have the notes to hand....

I'll set up a Rogues Gallery Thread where you can post finished characters. I don't mind the format, but the versions you've given above look good to me. You'll be able, eventually, to access it, the IC and the OOC thread (this one) via the Play By Post link in my sig.

Edit: Rogues Gallery here.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[MENTION=21938]Dr Simon[/MENTION], I'm usually open to new systems, but I don't have to time delve into this. If someone can provide a class guide, I could probably throw together something...but I would actually prefer something exotic (that by the way transfers the work to another :p ) - namely, warlock without memory :) - make me a character and let me know only that which I can see...and the link to Lichyard...and of course, some way to discover the powers :)

Alternative is a ranger or druid - you know someone who actually knows how to travel and survive in the wild since other roles are filled...but I have no idea how to even start and even less time to really read into it. In couple of weeks I should be done with one (of three remaining) mandatory education on my new workplace and thus, would have a bit more time...but it is in December.

Is there any free program with the details (like there was Character Builder for 4e) or at least site equivalent to pathfinder srd?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
No access at work. I'll take a look in the evening. Thank you. What do you think about the ideas? Esp. Amnesiac one...too much for one shot dungeon?

Dr Simon

Explorer
Could work, may be another link to the temple of Istus group. Ranger or druid would be fine (maybe not warlock as there's another character heading in that direction) although there's not a lot of wilderness (i.e. none). I'd say ranger is easiest if you're not familiar with the system (no spells to worry about, plus some more fighting ability could be good in the party). TBH it's a pretty stripped down and simple version of the game so there's not a lot to learn, touches of 4e in the skills but to me it feels a lot like the BECMI variant of D&D.

Brother Dave

First Post
Someone wrote up an 'Amnesiac' background, if you want to use that.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/5ebackgrounds/showentry.php?e=19

Not sure what to tell you on class. Warlocks can be very different depending on the pact and spell selection, so having two in the party is not necessarily a bad thing. Hmmm...combining a pact with a Great Old One with amnesia....could be some interesting roleplay opportunities there...I can work one up tonight if you want, with some fill-in-the-blanks so you can make it your own. (Fill-in-the-blanks....amnesiac....see what I did there?) :)

Druid, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about - Dr Simon did specifically say it would be a dungeon crawl. That doesn't necessarily preclude druid, but... Besides, druid would be difficult without a PHB, if only because you would not have ready access to the spell list or all of the spells on it.

Ranger would probably be okay, though.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Druid, on the other hand, I'm not so sure about - Dr Simon did specifically say it would be a dungeon crawl.

Remember that this was written in 1978. It basically begins when you are at the "dungeon entrance". If this is a success, and people want to continue, there might be more wilderness stuff but not in the immediate future.

Brother Dave

First Post
True, and you're the DM, so you would know. :)

I still think not having access to documentation for the full druid spell list could be an issue, though.

Remove ads