D&D 5E [5e] The Lichway - Old School Dungeon with new school rules.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Sithramir, seems fine to me.

Neurotic - when you ask how many feats are available, do you mean how many are there in the book or how many can a character get throughout their career? I'm guessing the second from context. In 5e you can get a feat instead of increasing ability scores, each time that option is presented. I'd need to double check but that option is usually presented at every 4th level for each class (nb not character level like previous editions. There are multi-classing rules though, might be covered under that). However, the 5e feats give a larger package of abilities than before, so they are more like adding an extra build onto your character. Rather than building up a tree of, say, archery feats, you can take a package of archery-based abilities with one feat. If you don't have access to a list of feats, let me know roughly what you would like your character to have and I'll see what I can advise.

As for proficiency, yes, that's basically it. Like Saga or 4e, you either have proficiency, or you don't. If you do, you add your proficiency bonus (which is level-derived, starts at +2, increases) and your ability score modifier. If you don't, you just add ability score modifier. Probably some things can't be attempted if you don't have proficiency (like using thieves tools). So if your class and background offer Athletics as a proficiency, and your character has the same Dexterity (or possibly Str or Con - skills can go off different ability scores depending on contex) as a rogue of the same level then yes, you would have the same skill modifier, except that the rogue has a class feature that allows it to gain a larger bonus to some skills, so, no, you might not. But that's not really any different to prior editions.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I'll find a way...may not be a complete list, but I'll get 1st level char ready. I'm still liking the idea of warlock more then paladin, but if we need extra healing or "punch" I can do paladin.

Navigator / astrologer would be Great Old one ("star pact" warlock) - there aren't curses and pact boons anymore :) - his book would be either real book (with star charts etc...) or maybe knot written - like Inka Q'ipu. :)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], if you go for half-elf warlock, we'll have very similar characters. FYI, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, my character is a half elf sorcerer, and will multiclass into warlock at level 2 (and was planning to go with the Great Old One, and the book)...
I don't have a problem with this, but it may be a bit annoying.
Cheers,

SG

Last edited:

Neurotic

[MENTION=93196]Axel[/MENTION], that was the part of 8 people -2 and -2 :) remaining 4 keep playing

Brother Dave

First Post
As for proficiency, yes, that's basically it. Like Saga or 4e, you either have proficiency, or you don't. If you do, you add your proficiency bonus (which is level-derived, starts at +2, increases) and your ability score modifier. If you don't, you just add ability score modifier. Probably some things can't be attempted if you don't have proficiency (like using thieves tools). So if your class and background offer Athletics as a proficiency, and your character has the same Dexterity (or possibly Str or Con - skills can go off different ability scores depending on contex) as a rogue of the same level then yes, you would have the same skill modifier, except that the rogue has a class feature that allows it to gain a larger bonus to some skills, so, no, you might not. But that's not really any different to prior editions.

Yes, 5e was designed to promote more role playing, so the skills are set up to take less of the focus, and in such a way that any character can basically at least try any reasonable action, regardless of their skill level or training. But of course actual interpretation of those rules (like whether Thieves' Tools can be used to pick a lock by someone not specifically trained in their use) is left up to the DM.

For what it's worth, I still say that a half-elf warlock and a half-elf sorcerer/warlock can be very different characters with very different flavor, depending on how they are approached. I'm finding that 5e is a lot less dependent on mechanics and build than, say, 4e, and a party does not necessarily have to have a balanced mix of roles to succeed.

Neurotic

I don't have a problem with this, but it may be a bit annoying.
Cheers,

I'm willing to change if it is a problem, but I don't see them as similar. As you said, you'll be sorcerer. And most probably you will be neither sailor or amnesiac or even astrolloger :) I've played in parties with different and similar characters in 4e and there was rarely problems, mostly caused by people and not mechanics...

I'm open to second opinions - what do others think? In the interest of not competing for items I can change to something else...but I have to change the concept since having naked warlock and naked paladin is far from same...maybe monk? Is there a monk in 5e?

Dr Simon

Explorer
Neurotic, yes, there are monks. Actually, that might work quite well as a kind of ferryman for the Lichway. And if you went Way of the Four Elements tradition (although that's 3rd level onwards) you get spell-like powers.

Axel, no worries.

MortalPlague - I think we can fit you in, particularly now that Axel has bowed out.

Neurotic

Now just to find the reference somewhere...I'll have the basic character before the weekend, I'll start the character post in RG.

Remove ads