D&D 5E [5e] The Lichway - Old School Dungeon with new school rules.

Brother Dave

First Post
[MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] - sorry I haven't had a chance to put together that Warlock for you - it's been kind of a crazy week for me. If you still want it I can do it when I'm at my hotel tonight. If you decide to go with the monk, I can give you the basics right now based on a Monk character I built a couple of months ago (though I don't have my PHB handy so I'll have to post the list of skills and starting equipment later):

Monk

• Proficiency bonus +2 (same for all characters at 1st level)
  • Hit Dice: d8 (8 + CON hit points at first level)
  • Add proficiency bonus to Strength and Dexterity saving throws.
  • Unarmored Defense - when not wearing armor, your AC = 10 + DEX + WIS.
  • Martial Arts - when unarmored and unarmed or using only monk weapons (shortswords & simple melee weapons without the heavy or two-handed property):
    • use DEX for attack and damage
    • roll 1d4 for unarmed damaged (instead of the normal 1 point)
    • when you use an attack action, you get an additional unarmed strike as a bonus action

If you create a hybrid background from Sage (Astronomer), Sailor, and Amnesiac, you basically select 2 skill proficiencies, any combination of 2 tool proficiencies and/or languages, and one special feature (pick an existing feature from one of the backgrounds, or work with the DM to create a new one).

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I'm willing to change if it is a problem, but I don't see them as similar. As you said, you'll be sorcerer. And most probably you will be neither sailor or amnesiac or even astrolloger :) I've played in parties with different and similar characters in 4e and there was rarely problems, mostly caused by people and not mechanics...

I'm open to second opinions - what do others think? In the interest of not competing for items I can change to something else...but I have to change the concept since having naked warlock and naked paladin is far from same...maybe monk? Is there a monk in 5e?

Hey [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION], no need to change as far as I'm concerned. It could'd even be an interesting way for my character to enter into a pact with the same entity as yours ;-)

SG

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[MENTION=80003]Brother Dave[/MENTION], [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION], thank you both. I've found some Basic Rules write-up, not super clear, but good enough. While two warlocks (one sith and one padawan ;) ) sound fun, there is still potential problem of magic item distribution. I've read about monks - there are (always) haters and those who like the class - I've tried it in 4e and despite being denounced by super optimizers, I was controlling the field, doing damage to everything around and was able to kill PC Avenger of my level (5th) in a single round, starting with his charge.

In 5e, what I read in threads sounds about right, but I don't like the fact that the number of Ki points is essentially fixed with my level. I'll create something else. He will be well known in the city as "Captain Blackpearl" - half-elf captain, small time trader and boat for hire. Reliable, knowledgeable...and deadly with his cutlass and harpoon :)

Amnesiac was fun concept, but it will be left behind.

One thing I'm not sure about since feats are optional. Dr Simon allowed feats. Does that mean we get one feat at first level and have an option to get more every fourth? Is that why variant human with extra feat is super strong (as forums say) , because he gets two feats?

Dr Simon

Explorer
I *think* that only the variant humans get a feat at first level - I'd need to go back and check that. Some of the feats, though, would make sense if allowed at
1st level generally. Good question...

sithramir

First Post
Only variant humans get a feat. So you get one feat.

Your class gets a stat boost or feat Evert 4 levels BUT it is not related to level. If you multiclass its possible to never get one or delay it. So warlock 3/sorcerer 3 still get no feat/stat boost. But you do at level 4 in either class (at level 7 in my example if you went war 3/sorc 4, etc)

Noone gets a feat at 1st level except humans

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Zli ljudi (evil humans) :)

There is character stub in RG, if someone want to check and advise.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
Okay, so I've got characters in the Rogues Gallery from [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION] and [MENTION=100541]toasterferret[/MENTION], with some details to be added to Neurotic's paladin.

[MENTION=80003]Brother Dave[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15132]Steve Gorak[/MENTION], I have completed characters for you, can you add them to the RG as well please.

[MENTION=12183]sithramir[/MENTION], waiting for a completed character from you, and [MENTION=62721]MortalPlague[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1231]Kaodi[/MENTION] if you are joining us. Think that's everyone who replied and said they were playing.

Tailspinner - Gnome Cleric (Knowledge domain)
Brother Dave- Human Fighter
Steve Gorak - Half-Elf Sorcerer
Neurotic - Half-Elf Paladin

Sithramir - Human Bard?
Kaodi - Dwarf Rogue?

(Sorry Tailspinner, for the accidental mention. For some reason I got you and toasterferret confused. Blame creeping senility).

Last edited:

Remove ads