Redhat linux

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
I don't want to get into any arguements over distro's :p

I'm just wondering if anyone has a link to a lower traffic download site for the ISOs than those on the main redhat page.

Breakdaddy

First Post
Redhat is nice. Have you ever played with SuSE Linux? Its a very solid distro as well, and my favorite. I do server support for a state hospital and administer some Blade servers with Redhat, which run quite nicely as well.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Breakdaddy said:
Redhat is nice. Have you ever played with SuSE Linux? Its a very solid distro as well, and my favorite. I do server support for a state hospital and administer some Blade servers with Redhat, which run quite nicely as well.

I haven't played with SuSE yet. This is for a router. Our current router is a SMC Barricade router. I don't know if you have any experience with them, but they do not support port forwarding or DMZ Host capability. Or rather, they claim to do so, but in practice do not. The computer I am writing this from currently is set as a DMZ host, but is not receiving the forwarded tcp requests.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
what about mandrakes new MNF package? I LOVE mandrake, it's so painfully simple and easy even me, a linux n00b, can set it up and use it for their main workstation...

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Leopold said:
what about mandrakes new MNF package? I LOVE mandrake, it's so painfully simple and easy even me, a linux n00b, can set it up and use it for their main workstation...

couple of my friends are using redhat for their router :D

mmmm free and easy advice!

RyanL

First Post
Well, I'm a programmer, not a network guy...but why would you need to forward tcp to the DMZ host?

I ask because I have a Barricade and tcp forwarding works fine (to hosts behind the firewall). If I wanted to expose a service to the public, I'd use either tcp forwarding or DMZ host, but not both. Am I missing something (probably)?

-Ryan

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
RyanL said:
Well, I'm a programmer, not a network guy...but why would you need to forward tcp to the DMZ host?

I ask because I have a Barricade and tcp forwarding works fine (to hosts behind the firewall). If I wanted to expose a service to the public, I'd use either tcp forwarding or DMZ host, but not both. Am I missing something (probably)?

-Ryan

Odd, what model router do you have? We've been unable to get port forwarding to work - DMZ Host was our last resort.

RyanL

First Post
thatdarncat said:

Odd, what model router do you have? We've been unable to get port forwarding to work - DMZ Host was our last resort.

I'll check the model number when I get home, but it's your standard non-wireless 4-port Cable/DSL Router.

I had a debian box behind the firewall with http and ssh forwarded, and no problems. Then again, SMC doesn't exactly have a reputation for great products, so I wouldn't be surprised if yours crapped out. I only bought it because CompUSA had a rebate deal going on.

-Ryan

Remove ads