D&D 5E Random Table of Weapons? Random Table of Armor?

But he's not mentioning amulets; he's talking about wraps, gauntlets, gloves - magic weaponry for unarmed characters :)

What is the difference between whether the item is in the shape of an amulet or a glove? Neither is a weapon, and the amulet would probably fit better for a druid or monk.

Are you saying that the Amulet of Mighty fists should be on the table for magic weapons rather than wondrous items?

CapnZapp

Legend
What is the difference between whether the item is in the shape of an amulet or a glove? Neither is a weapon, and the amulet would probably fit better for a druid or monk.

Are you saying that the Amulet of Mighty fists should be on the table for magic weapons rather than wondrous items?
No - it is you who keep talking about the amulet when Rune and now I talk about magical unarmed options.

First Rune said "There's room for a magical unarmed option. Wraps, gauntlet, gloves"... and you went "Sure- an amulet of mighty fists or whatever. But I don't define that as a magical weapon"

Nobody was talking about the amulet of mighty fists. Nobody was defining the amulet as a magical weapon!

Then I said "he's talking about wraps, gauntlets, gloves - magic weaponry for unarmed characters"... and you immediately went back to the blasted amulet: "Are you saying that the Amulet of Mighty fists should be on the table for magic weapons rather than wondrous items?"

No I am not saying that because I am not talking about the amulet!

Thanks, Zapp

No - it is you who keep talking about the amulet when Rune and now I talk about magical unarmed options.

First Rune said "There's room for a magical unarmed option. Wraps, gauntlet, gloves"... and you went "Sure- an amulet of mighty fists or whatever. But I don't define that as a magical weapon"

Nobody was talking about the amulet of mighty fists. Nobody was defining the amulet as a magical weapon!

Then I said "he's talking about wraps, gauntlets, gloves - magic weaponry for unarmed characters"... and you immediately went back to the blasted amulet: "Are you saying that the Amulet of Mighty fists should be on the table for magic weapons rather than wondrous items?"

No I am not saying that because I am not talking about the amulet!

Thanks, Zapp

Ooookay.

That was my first post on this thread, so could you kindly explain what you mean by claiming that I "keep talking about" anything.
That's a whole lot of nastiness you're throwing around if you did simply get confused.

Thank you.

The Amulet of Mighty Fists is a magical unarmed option. You're looking for something to enhance a character's unarmed and/or natural weapon attacks, right?

Now, what I was actually asking you was why you drew the distinction between an item in the shape of an amulet and one in the shape of a glove for example.
You might have simply been making a joke about the contradiction inherent in having magic weaponry for an unarmed character: - by definition not using weaponry. I saw your smiley and wasn't sure.

I also asked if you thought that the table upon which magical weapons are rolled should include the item that enhances unarmed combat, rather than it being perhaps on the wondrous items table. - Since that appeared to be what you and Rune were suggesting. The table you posted seems to list "Monk weapons", which I wasn't sure was deliberate. It could have just been a copy/paste artifact since 3.5 had specific monk weapons, but the 5e monk weapons were already mentioned in the table.

the Jester

Legend

To be fair, that was me, and you are absolutely right. I just stuck "amulet of mighty fists" on the effect described because it already exists in the D&D canon. But then, so do wraps and the like, in the form of ki foci from 4e. Or gauntlets or the like, and frankly, I have a few such items in my game already (also slippers of kicking from 1e, converted to 5e).

So, fair enough- there is, indeed, room for such an option, as well as the old amulet of mighty fists, and there is existing precedent for such items. I happily admit my previous error and stand corrected.

Horwath

Legend
Hi,

Do you have a good table to randomize which exact weapon you find when an adventure merely says "you find a +1 weapon"? Same with armor.

I am specifically looking for tables that try to reproduce the frequencies of actual treasure in published modules.

That is, tables where longswords are more common than glaives, for instance.

Thanks.

Why not simply determine the type of weapon depending on where it is found?

If it is and dwarven tomb most likely it will be some type of hammer or an axe.

Reward from an elven lord would be most likely longbow, longsword or shorsword.

Most magical weapons are martial as they are better and it is sometimes "waste" of a magic to make simple weapons magical.

Exception could be maces for clerics or daggers for assassins.

As for armor, best in each category(light, medium, heavy) is most likely to be enchanted.

+1 fullplate is a kingly gift.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases