multiclass and max skill rank

hoyerhan

First Post
I have a 5th level wizard (no ranks in move silently). When she gains a new level, she will take a rogue level. My question is: how many ranks can she use in move silently? Rogue 1st max =4, total level max= 9 or the maxed out for all classes 4 (rogue)+5/2 (wizard cross-class skill) = 6,5?

Or something else? Please explain.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Unless the skill is an Exclusive skill (and Move Silently isn't), if it is a Class Skill for any of your classes, your max rank is character level +3.

You can dump 9 skill points into Move Silently with your rogue level if you want.

-Hyp.

rhammer2

First Post
It is your character level + 3 except for exclusive skills. For exclusive skills it is the sum of class levels that allow the skill + 3.

IMC we house rule it to character level + 3 for all skills.

hoyerhan said:
I have a 5th level wizard (no ranks in move silently). When she gains a new level, she will take a rogue level. My question is: how many ranks can she use in move silently? Rogue 1st max =4, total level max= 9 or the maxed out for all classes 4 (rogue)+5/2 (wizard cross-class skill) = 6,5?

Or something else? Please explain.

Where are you guys getting this "character level" business?

I will have to check it, but I thought it was just class level +3. So, your first level wizard could only take four ranks in move silently upon taking a level as a rogue. If you think about it, this only makes sense. If it were character level, then a 7th level wizard could take one level as a rogue and suddenly have anywhere from 8-13 ranks in move silently--ridiculous!

Like I said, I'll have to check though.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...

From the PHB...

I will have to check it, but I thought it was just class level +3.

For Exclusive skills, yes. Non-exclusive skills are considered class skills for the purpose of calculating maximum rank if it's a class skill for any of your classes. You still pay cross-class prices if you purchase ranks in Move Silently with Wizard skill points, but your max rank is Character Level +3.

If it were character level, then a 7th level wizard could take one level as a rogue and suddenly have anywhere from 8-13 ranks in move silently.

8 to 11 ranks. A Wiz7/Rog1 has a Max Rank in Move Silently of CL+3, which is 11.

Do that and get back to us :)

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
candidus_cogitens said:

PHb p22 ... Class Skill Max Ranks ...to left, first sentence of section.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Re: Re: multiclass and max skill rank

rhammer2 said:
It is your character level + 3 except for exclusive skills. For exclusive skills it is the sum of class levels that allow the skill + 3.

IMC we house rule it to character level + 3 for all skills.

Ok. I looked on p. 22 of the PHB, and pages 58-60. I must be overlooking this special rule for exclusive skills. Can you point it out to me?

[edit]
Forget it. I found it on page 56, under "skills" (left hand column, at the top).

Last edited:

Remove ads