Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show later this year

Janx

Hero
I think the great thing the Daily Show did was to cultivate interest in news and world events and point out the contradictions and such that inspired a number of people to take action, where they might have complacently sat around watching a Kronkite-wannabe read the teleprompter.

The show was inherently biased, but the bias was generally to be pro-truth and anti-stupid. Jon Stewart's show did stand for something besides laughs.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
The frybacon (not its real name) reports that former interim Yahoo CEO Ross Levinsohn posted (and later deleted) an offer on Facebook to give Jon Stewart $100 million per year to re-launch his show as a "direct-to-consumer" product.

That report includes a link to Twitter comments collected by the weeklystandard from Bill Clinton and Elizabeth Warren about Stewart.

The report also says, "The post," [political slam snipped], "appears to have been deleted. However, Business Insider has preserved it here."
(The B.I. page contains a video of Stewart breaking the news to his audience.)

Him and Colbert had the best hour of TV, period. I'm going to miss those guys tremendously. I've watched their shows regularly, nay, religiously for the last 8 years at least. I'm looking forward his next projects of course, and I have no idea who could fill his shoes at the Daily Show. On the other hand, I'm glad he's getting out. For the last year and a half or so, he seemed like he was a little too fed up with the general state of news orgnizations and the political landscape.

He did one hell of a service to the American people in general and he deserves his rest.

AR

Tranick

First Post
The Daily Show was definitely one of my favorite shows. That guy was awesome, super funny, and still told what was going on. I'm gonna miss him.

Remove ads