Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show later this year

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Article at the Sac. Bee: Jon Stewart announces he will retire from The Daily Show.

It's the end of an era. A whole generation grew up watching his act.

Rune

Once A Fool
He really transformed that show into something meaningful. Such a shame to lose such a sharp wit. Hope the next guy can fill his shoes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not really familiar with the guy or his show, but please keep politics out of it, folks. Thanks.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I expect he is leaving now specifically so the next person in the chair can use the ripe material from the election to cement themselves. I would expect he thinks that to stay through the election would be selfish.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not really familiar with the guy or his show, but please keep politics out of it, folks. Thanks.
It is a politics - focused comedy news show, Morrus. What these folks have said dowsn't count as politics in context :)

tuxgeo

Adventurer
A day later, the plaudits are starting to come in.

Newsbusters has an article summarizing the reactions on the three major broadcast networks in the US: ABC, CBS, and NBC. (Warning: contains overtly political links and content.)

Overall, they honor him. Quotes from the linked article:

'ABC’s Lara Spencer introduced the network’s coverage of Stewart’s departure by declaring it “the end of an era, if you will, for late night TV” before branding him to [sic] a “comedy cultural juggernaut.”'

'NBC’s Willie Geist offered up a full report on Stewart and beamed at how he “took a half hour late night comedy show, turned it into rally [sic] a fixture not only in American television, but in politics and culture as well.”'

'On CBS This Morning, reporter Don Dahler touted how “while traditional newscasts have struggled to attract younger viewers, The Daily Show has been a favorite place for younger generations to get their news.”'

Remove ads