D&D 5E Necromancer Games--What do you want us to make next?

froggie

First Post
Necromancer/Frog God sales of 5e are good.

We have out PFGRP and OSR schedule planned--but what would you guys want us to make for 5e? Quests of Doom 3? Lost Lands setting stuff? What if we redid PF and SW modules for 5e? 6 at a time for $25 or 12 at a time for $40? I don't want to do softcovers for $10 each--they just don't stand up over time, and we library bind our hardcovers so they last for years.

Big names? (higher cost) or FGG/Necromancer writers (less cost)? Not adventures? If not, then what?

Bill and Crew

Last edited:

Xantherion

First Post
Lost lands setting info would be sweet.

I believe more modules would also be a good idea. I own a lot of the pathfinder/sword and sorcery items. Would love to see official 5e versions.

A lot of people seem to be not to happy with how wotc is handling their release schedule, you have lots of opportunities to fill that niche.

Gecko85

Explorer
Sandbox-type adventures, similar to Lost Mines of Phandelver (design-wise), for varying levels. A good starting adventure, good maps of the area, and plenty of hooks for DMs to create their own followup adventures, plus additional adventures set in the same area down the road. Sort of a more open-ended AP.

gweinel

Explorer
There is a shortage on adventures so I would love to see more.
I don't care for big names so give the opportunity to your staff!
Have in mind that usually a group plays an adventure once. So the softcover book won't get too much use and it would be cheaper for us.
You could try short adventure paths covering 3 to 5 levels.
Also what Gecko885 says: sandbox adventures would be awesome!

Good luck :)

froggie

First Post
ps--history shows that softcovers sell VERY poorly to stores for us. Bang for buck for customers is bad too ($10/32 pages instead of 120 pages for $25 hardcover).

pming

Legend
Hiya!

What I'd like to see is more "one-off" adventure modules. Goodman Games had the DCC line and that was amazing! It seems WotC is focused on "save the world...again!" hardback adventure paths. Thats great for people who like to do that, but one of the key selling points for 5e is it's ease of use and "loosey-goosey" play style (the whole 'rulings, not rules' thing). The DCC adventures fit perfectly with that style of play. A module that can be given a serious skimming (say, half-hour) and then the DM can sit down and run it. No multi-hour or multi-day memorization of convoluted plots, or detailed NPC backgrounds, etc. Just "Here's a couple of maps. Here's some random encounter charts. Heres a couple of ideas to get the players interested in it. And here's the stocked dungeon/ruin/castle/forest/swamp, etc.".

One adventure that my group and I REALLY enjoyed was the "Tomb of the Iron God". Admittedly, I used it with a little-known game system called "Dominion Rules" (free, online, kinda old), but that one module carried us for about a dozen sessions (about 3 months). I bought the PDF version, which was about $5 I think. And *enormous* cost-to-fun ratio, I must say! :) If you guys could pull off a bunch of modules like that...then you should offer a monthly subscription option like Paizo does for their PF stuff. I'd sign up in a heartbeat!

Ok. After the "old style modules", I wouldn't mind seeing books dealing with stuff other than more monsters, spells, magic items, or (especially) stuff that is already optional in the core 5e books (yes, Feats, I'm looking at you!). A book dealing with sea-born adventuring. Maybe one dealing with Keeps/Towers/Castles. Another with underground ecosystems and what they may look like in a fantasy setting. Maybe a book with how to build a house, manor, inn, tavern, or something "common" and how to keep it running. Perhaps something to do with arctic wilderness survival and exploration. Pre-Historic stuff. Desert adventuring. City/Town/Settlement construction and information about urban adventures. Basically, all the stuff that players end up in or doing, but a 5e DM has very little info to help him run it in a believable and consistent manner. Just slapping together yet another book of monsters/spells/feats/PC-add-ons does nothing (or virtually nothing) for the beleaguered DM. I want books that spark my imagination and get me to want to write some adventure (or buy one from you guys!) set in the Swamplands of Peool, or deal with the political machinations of the nobility in the capital City of Games. That's what I want. :D

EDIT: Just saw your post about "price, format, etc". Softcover for 'supplemental books'. Old 1e removable-cover style printings (with mono-color maps!...we don't need full-color fancy-pants maps that up the price by a huge factor), for adventures. Everything should also be available in PDF (at a much cheaper price), as well as ePub and Mobi, and/or available as a combos.

EDIT-EDIT: Oh, also the font should be at least 10-point, black on white. And... NON-GLOSSY PAGES FOR EVERYTHING! Sorry for yelling, but the glossy-pages thing that's been going on for the last decade drives me up the wall. Lighting has to be *perfect* to read it easily. I have old TSR books and adventures that I bought new, like my World of Greyhawk Folio, that is *still* together and usable...and I have hardback, full-color, glossy paged books I bought last year that are warped, falling apart, and have smears/smudges/wrinkles all through them. Just saying...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Last edited:

froggie

First Post
Paul--our hardbacks don't fall apart:)

That's why I library bind. If any of our stuff falls apart (unless you played baseball with it)--send it back for replacement anytime in the next, let's say 10 years.

JTorres

First Post
I'd like to see another monster book or two. Maybe a Tome of Horrors Complete for 5E, or a follow-up to Fifth Edition Foes. I definitely want to see more adventures in the vein of Quests of Doom. So far I've read through The Noble Rot and Bad Moon Rising twice each and I've begun prepping them for my campaign the next few weekends. Both adventures are excellent, especially Bad Moon with all the little mysteries for PCs to dig into, and I think following that format can be a winner for both Necromancer Games and 5E players. The reason I say this is that the adventures in Quests are good one-offs that can be sewn together into a homebrew campaign very easily whereas WotC's adventures are major APs that reward those who play through the entire thing. I'm not critical of that approach by WotC (in fact I understand why they want to go that route) but it leaves the door open for someone to supply smaller, shorter adventures that aren't necessarily tied to an organized play system or any particular setting. I think Necromancer Games has a great opportunity in that. Also, as the NGs writers continue to come to grips with 5E, then the monsters and adventures are only going to get better and more refined and so I look forward to that as well. Lastly, I'm glad to see NG engaging the community like this. Best of luck to you all.

Remove ads