• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ELEMENTAL EVIL Player's Companion - FREE!

The Elemental Evil Player's Companion is available for free download over at DTRPG (and RPGNow). It includes new races (aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath) and ove 40 new spells. The PDF is a full-colour 25-page PDF; according to the first page, the genasi in chapter 1 and all of the spells in chapter 2 also appear in the appendices of Princes of the Apocalypse, the adventure due to hit store shelves very soon.

The Elemental Evil Player's Companion is available for free download over at DTRPG (and RPGNow). It includes new races (aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath) and ove 40 new spells. The PDF is a full-colour 25-page PDF; according to the first page, the genasi in chapter 1 and all of the spells in chapter 2 also appear in the appendices of Princes of the Apocalypse, the adventure due to hit store shelves very soon.

"Not inherently evil, elemental power can be mastered by those with both malevolent and benign intentions. The Elemental Evil Player’s Companion provides everything players need to build a character that is tied directly into the Elemental Evil storyline.

New race options include the aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath. Additionally, a plethora of new spells put the elements directly at your command.

The Elemental Evil Player’s Companion, was original designed by Richard Baker, Robert J. Schwalb and Stephen Schubert, with additional design and development by Wizards D&D R&D.

This accessory is specifically meant to support the Elemental Evil–Princes of the Apocalypse adventure product."

145542.jpg

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
That particular episode rubbed me up the wrong way. Pendantry never attracts me to anything; and the whole "a D&D book is like a National Security secret" angle is starting to become obnoxious. Especially when ad copy exists, is being circulated, and they say nothing and then pretend to be surprised that anybody ever thought anything.

I don't get what Mearl's was trying to say to be honest.

If I am working on something with the intention of putting out there but I don't announce it and end up canceling the product then nothing changes for the fact that I was working on a product and it got cancelled.

Saying "how do you cancel something that was never announced" makes absolutely no sense at all.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Some people would rather get something good they pay for than have the company spend it's time making garbage for free instead. It seems that this is really just a way to get people to buy the elemental evil path, which is fine, but it also does seem like the sort of power creep we were getting with the less strictly edited Dragon material rather than the official splat books.

Ok, firstly, who says this FREE release is garbage? I certainly don't think so. And neither do most people it seems. at the very least, you get a bunch of spells. FOR FREE.

Secondly, who says this is all they are going to release? Maybe they WILL have a more formalized and expansive future product out there.

And thirdly, for a guy who admitted doesn't even play 5e, I don't think you're the best person to represent what 5e players actually want. It seems all you do is hang out in 5e forums complaining about the game and the company.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Does anyone know if these free updates will be added to the "Basic" rules? Seems like they might as well, since they're all available freely - and that would just make it easier to get to them.

I certainly hope not! The point of the basic game is to offer a simple starter game. ALL of this stuff is decidedly optional/add-on. It has no business being anywhere near the Basic Rules or insinuating this material is to be assumed to be "basic/in play options."

I don't think the Basic Rules is primarily defined by 'free'. It is defined by 'basic' - 4 races, 4 classes - one subclass each.

Adding fringe races, especially ones that will be widely insta-banned (Aarakocra) goes against that.

Right. Yeah. This. :)

ninja'd. :p

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I find it unlikely this will generate more traffic than the Basic Rules. Did that crash the site at any point?

Good point. I just wish I could make sense of behaviors that seems to be erratic. I'm sure there are logical explainations. There has to be!

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I get what you are saying, but I am not sure if this is necessarily the same kind of power creep that prior editions have seen with splat books. The options that I have looked over so far seem to be on par with what is available in the PHB.

Too many spells can cause powercreep.

fuindordm

Adventurer
"Shafted" is probably too strong, but it's irksome that my tempest cleric has no access to any or all of:

* Gust
* Shape water
* Thunderclap
* Tidal wave
* Control winds
* Maelstrom

...to name the obvious ones. The druid was already a better tempest cleric than the tempest cleric above 9th level; these new spells now give me druid-envy at lower levels as well.

I plan to let players choose 2 spells/level to represent their domain. If you want to have a spell from a supplement, swap out one of the ones from the PH.
Same for druids.

Then how about they put out more product and give me something that I will use?

I'm complaining about not getting enough product that I will pay for.

If this is where most of their attention is spent and that's all they could come up with then we better see something that is awesome in the near future.

Sailor Moon, I have a question for you I would honestly like to know the answer to. You've made it abundantly clear that you're not satisfied the support 5E has received to date.

I'm convinced that moving forward, 5E will receive essentially the level of support we've just seen - two big adventure paths a year with accompanying player options (either free online as a PDF or as a companion hardcover to the adventure), plus a monthly Unearthed Arcana article (which perhaps will be playtested and compiled into a hardcover a year or two from now). Maybe a campaign setting book a year, focusing on a different setting each year. Maybe a Monster Manual II or Fiend Folio in a year or two.

What I'd like to ask you is, are you going to keep playing 5E if I'm right about that being the case?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to, but perhaps it's time to give some serious thought to the matter as none of the things you're insisting are crucial to your enjoyment of the game appear to be on the horizon.

occam

Adventurer
woot! I can finally share my Aarakocra, Genasi and Whirlwing spell illustrations!

Did you do the illustration for the whirlwind spell, with the gnoll? I was wondering if that was you. I love it! The gnoll looks fantastic, and I appreciate the Egyptian trappings flying around; it really tells a story.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
I would say the reason we didn't see cleric spells is the fact that anytime new cleric spells come out, the cleric in question could automatically have access to it, unless it's god specific.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Anyone else find the deep gnome magic presented as a feat to be...interesting? I don't know if I like it or not. It was certainly unexpected to be put in that way...and, of course, has implications as to the "optional" expectations of Feats in general...or opens up the whole can of worms o individual tables "ok'ing this feat but not that one".

But, like I said, unexpected...not entirely unwelcome...but intriguing why they would chose to do innate racial magic for this race this way...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads