• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ELEMENTAL EVIL Player's Companion - FREE!

The Elemental Evil Player's Companion is available for free download over at DTRPG (and RPGNow). It includes new races (aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath) and ove 40 new spells. The PDF is a full-colour 25-page PDF; according to the first page, the genasi in chapter 1 and all of the spells in chapter 2 also appear in the appendices of Princes of the Apocalypse, the adventure due to hit store shelves very soon.

The Elemental Evil Player's Companion is available for free download over at DTRPG (and RPGNow). It includes new races (aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath) and ove 40 new spells. The PDF is a full-colour 25-page PDF; according to the first page, the genasi in chapter 1 and all of the spells in chapter 2 also appear in the appendices of Princes of the Apocalypse, the adventure due to hit store shelves very soon.

"Not inherently evil, elemental power can be mastered by those with both malevolent and benign intentions. The Elemental Evil Player’s Companion provides everything players need to build a character that is tied directly into the Elemental Evil storyline.

New race options include the aarakocra, deep gnome, genasi, and goliath. Additionally, a plethora of new spells put the elements directly at your command.

The Elemental Evil Player’s Companion, was original designed by Richard Baker, Robert J. Schwalb and Stephen Schubert, with additional design and development by Wizards D&D R&D.

This accessory is specifically meant to support the Elemental Evil–Princes of the Apocalypse adventure product."

145542.jpg

Speaking of power creep, I'm wondering if we're not seeing some in reverse. A few spells seem a little weak to me. The one that stands out is the highest-level new spell, Abi-Dalzim's horrid wilting. An 8th-level AoE spell that does 10d8 (45 avg.) necrotic, and doesn't affect constructs or undead? Seems like it should do more.

Compare, for instance, to sunburst, an 8th-level spell AoE spell (same range with much larger area) that does 12d6 (42 avg.) radiant, undead and oozes have disadvantage on the save, and it blinds.

Horrid Wilting may be a good spell for a necromancer who does not want to hurt undead or constructs...

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Yeah, I agree with you on the lack of material for non-spellcasters. I tend to shy away from using spellcasters so it's a bit disappointing to see nothing new for those classes.

...except for three new viable PC races, which have their biggest ability bonuses in Dexterity, Constitution, and Strength (all non-casting stats).

I weep with joy at the return of transmute rock/mud, but there seems to be some errata required. Both uses of the spell refer to an effect lasting "for the spell's duration." But the spell's duration is given as instantaneous. :erm:

Well, I guess that explains why we didn't see this as a separate book. A book with 50-pages of fluff and that would have caused riots.

I guess I can continue work on my elemental sorcerer and primordial warlock fan design now.

maceochaid

Explorer
It would also be nice to have some sort of note about which elemental spells Elemental Monks could learn. Seems appropriate. I think an update of the tempest domain is totally in order,
Shatter -> Warding Wind
sleet storm -> tidal wave
ice storm -> storm sphere
insect plague-> control winds

then make an ice/cold/polar domain separate from this.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
And later it was found out that was not an official announcement by anyone, it was an unauthorized leak of potential WOTC plans. Note the source is Kettie, not anyone at WOTC.

Do you have an official comment from WotC saying it was an unauthorized leak or is it your opinion? Cause it could have been a planned teaser from WotC. Kettie did it again with the covers of both books January the 2nd. http://www.enworld.org/forum/conten...k-and-Princes-of-the-Apocalypse!#.VP97T_mG-T8

I would be surprised that WotC didn't warn them the first time Kettie leaked info without WotC's consent, considering how secretive they are about their release schedule. Why would WotC give them the covers in the first place if they new Kettie was not rust worthy?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads