Pathfinder 1E High-level Pathfinder Planar Game: The Lich-Queen's Beloved

RG

jetsam_city_II_by_henryz.jpg

[sblock=DM's Note]The Lich-Queen's Beloved was written for D&D 3.5, but we'll play using Pathfinder. The adventure is designed for four (4) 18th-level characters. We will play using standard hero races, githyanki heroes, or custom races. Characters who complete the adventure should amass sufficient experience points to advance to 20th level, assuming they survive the perils of the githyanki lich-queen's palace.

I freely admit to wanting to explore higher-level spells and gameplay mechanics yet having no experience playing or running a high-level game. If you elect to participate, you should anticipate an active OOC in which we ask questions, dissect rules, and negotiate. The posting rate for this game may, at times, be glacial. Finally, if by October 31, 2015, we're tired of the game or the posting rate has fallen by the wayside, I may close the game. The point is to have fun, not to trap players in a years-long PbP.[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]Vlaakith CLVII, the reigning sovereign of the githyanki race, is the legitimate descendant of the original Vlaakith, and her word is law. Unlike her predecessors, however, Vlaakith is a lich, has no heirs, and in her undead state is unable to produce them. Naturally, that is. Vlaakith demands unswerving loyalty and obedience from her people, and few dare question her resolve or her wisdom. She sequesters herself in her forlorn palace and is rarely seen by her subjects.

Vlaakith jealously guards her throne by devouring the essences of her most powerful followers. Any githyanki who rises above 16th level must stand before her in the Palace of Whispers and be judged. Most come willingly. Cowards and dissidents who try to avoid their fate, however, are hunted down by the Ch'r'ai, captured, and dragged before the lich-queen at her palace in Tu'narath on the Astral Plane.

If you are githyanki, you are just such a dissident. Your failure to appear before Vlaakith has been noticed; you have curried the Lich-Queen's disfavor. If you are non-githyanki or are a custom race, Vlaakith has noticed your heroic endeavors on the Material Prime (or perhaps in the Planes), and seeks to have you similarly brought before her throne.[/sblock]

System: Pathfinder
Setting: Astral Plane
Level: 18th
Party Number: 4
Point Buy: 28
hp: Max at 1st lvl; 3/4 per level for 2nd-10th lvl; and 1/2 per level for 11-18th lvl
Gold: 530,000 gp (you may start play with no more than 1,000 gp on hand)
Alignment: Any, but must possess the ability to work within a group
Race: Core; Githyanki; Custom (see the Pathfinder Race Builder rules and use a 16 race point allotment); OR any race from the "Sourcebooks permitted" list. If your character relies on monstrous hit dice, the ECL (class levels + hit die + level adjustment, if any) must be no higher than 18.
Class: See "Sourcebooks Permitted."
Experience Points: 1,800,000

Sourcebooks Permitted: Pathfinder Core Rulebook, anything from the Pathfinder Reference Document, anything from the d20 Pathfinder SRD, 3.5 Unearthed Arcana, 3.5 Psionics SRD, 3.0 Psionics Handbook, 3.0 Manual of the Planes, 3.x Fiend Folio, 3.x Book of Vile Darkness, 3.x Book of Exhalted Deeds, Draconomicon, 3.5 Complete Divine, 3.5 Complete Warrior, and the Pathfinder Race Builder rules with 16 race point allotment. If you would like to use alternate source material, ask. I am open to discussion.

ALL CHARACTER SUBMISSIONS SHALL USE THIS FORMAT, AND SHOW YOUR MATH:
[sblock=Character Sheet]INFORMATION
Name:
Player: CanadienneBacon
Race:
Class:
Level:
Alignment:
Languages:
Deity:
Size:
Height: 6' 6"
Weight: 220#
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Skin Color: Medium

ABILITIES
Str: 18 +4 (10 points, +2 racial)
Dex: 16 +3 (2 points, +4 class levels)
Con: 14 +2 (5 points)
Int: 10 +0 (0 points, -2 racial, +2 item name)
Wis: 16 +3 (10 points)
Cha: 11 +0 (1 point)

COMBAT
HP: 13 [d10, +2 Con, +1 feat]
AC: 15 [10 base, +1 Dex, +3 studded leather, +1 natural]
AC Touch: 11 [10 base, +1 Dex]
Flatfooted: 14 [10 base, +3 armor, +1 natural]
Init: +1 [1 Dex]
Fortitude: +4 [2 base, +2 Con]
Reflex: +1 [0 base, +1 Dex]
Will: +0 [0 base, +0 Wis]
Speed: 40'
CMB: +4 [Base attack bonus + Str modifier + size modifier]
CMD: 17 [10 + base attack bonus + Str modifier + Dex modifier + size modifier]

WEAPON
Bite: Attack: +5 [1 BAB, +3 Str, +1 feat name], Damage: 1d3+3, Crit: 20, Type: BPS
Claw(x2): Attack: +5 [1 BAB, +3 Str, +1 item name], Damage: 1d4+3, Crit: 20, Type: BS

ARMOR
Studded Leather: AC: +3, MDB +5, ACP: -1

RACIAL
Abilities: +2 Str, -2 Int
Base Speed: 30'
Favored: Fighter (HP)
Fast Movement +10'
Natural Armor +1
Bite 1d3
Claws 1d4
Bonus Feat: Weapon Focus (Claw)

CLASS: Fighter
Armor/Weapons: All armor and all shields / all simple and martial
Bonus Feat: Power Attack

FEATS
Weapon Focus (Bite) - +1 bonus on attack rolls with bite attack
Weapon Focus (Claw) - +1 bonus on attack rolls with claw attacks
Power Attack - can choose to take a –1 penalty on all melee attack rolls and combat maneuver checks to gain a +2 bonus on all melee damage rolls

SKILLS 3 [2 base, +0 Int, +1 race]
Climb +7 (4 ranks, +3 Str)
Handle Animal +4 (1 rank, +0 Cha, +3 magic item name)
Swim +7 (4 ranks, +3 Str)

CARRYING CAPACITY
Light: 76#
Medium: 153#
Heavy: 230#

EQUIPMENT
Explorer's Outfit (0gp, 0#, worn)
Studded Leather (25gp, 20#, worn)
Backpack (2gp, 2#, back)
Rod of Alertness (85,000gp, 4#, backpack)
Total (22gp, 26#, light)

FINANCES: 1000gp

Appearance: No more than three lines to describe what your character looks like.

Background: Describe your character history AND provide at least one NPC connection.[/sblock]

Character Concepts:
Shayuri: Aasimar Monk1 / Sorcerer 17
Kiraya_TiDrekan: Wizard (Enchanter)/Psion (Telepath)/Cerebremancer; or
Wizard (Necroamancer)/Cleric (Death domain)/Mystic Theurge

Unsung: Advanced Kobold Rogue 18
Scott DeWar: Ifrit Fire Mage (may not participate due to impending interstate move)
Tailspinner: Vegekin Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 18
Queenie: Suneite Cleric?
The Joker: ?

Last edited:

These notes supersede all published content.

[sblock=Astral Plane]The Astral Plane occupies the space between everything. It is the road that goes everywhere. It is where you are when you aren't anywhere else.

The Astral Plane is also the space between the planes. When a character moves through an interplanar portal or projects her spirit to a different plane, she travels through the Astral Plane. Even spells that allow instantaneous movement across a plane, such as dimension door, briefly touch the Astral Plane.

The Astral Plane is a great, endless sphere of clear silvery sky, both above and below. Large tube-shaped clouds slowly coil into the distance, some appearing as thunderheads and others looking like immobile tornadoes of gray wind. Erratic whirlpools of color flicker in midair.

Both planar travelers and refugees from other planes call the Astral Plane home. The most prominent denizens are, however, the githyanki, an outcast race that preys on travelers.

The Astral Plane collects the flotsam and jetsam of great events that have shaken the foundations of cosmology. Of the three Transitive Planes (Ethereal Plane, Astral Plane, and Plane of Shadow), the Astral Plane is the most alien to natives of the Material Prime. The Astral Plane has the following traits:

Gravity: There are pockets of no gravity in the Astral Plane, but gravity functions normally in Tu'narath and Susurrus (the Lich-Queen's palace).
Timeless: Age, hunger, thirst, poison, and natural healing don't function in the Astral Plane, though they resume functioning when the traveler leaves the Astral Plane.
Alignment: Mildly neutral[/sblock]

[sblock=Morphing the Astral]Certain spells (or spell-like abilities, or psionics) may be able to twist and morph the astral haze, similar to the way the substance of shadow is manipulated by shadow spells such as shadow conjuration. It's possible to invent spells that affect the Astral Plane in this fashion. In this setting's cosmology, all planes are coterminous to the Astral Plane, so there is little difficulty utilizing this ability.[/sblock]

[sblock=Enhanced Magic]All spells and spell-like abilities used within the Astral Plane may be employed as if they were improved by the Quicken Spell feat. Already quickened spells and spell-like abilities are unaffected, as are spells from magic items. Spells so quickened are still prepared and cast at their unmodified level. As with the Quickened Spell feat, only one quickened spell can be cast per round.[/sblock]

[sblock=Gravity]The pockets without gravity in the Astral Plane can make it a tricky place to get around in. Flying is possible, as are other forms of movement that the characters may discover during play. Unlike normal flying, climbs and dives in a no-gravity pocket don't change a character's speed, and there is no minimum speed to avoid a stall. Also, characters may double move, but their maneuverability drops to average. A character may move at four times his speed, but maneuverability drops to clumsy. Distances are deceptive on the Astral Plane, and maps are almost completely useless in the hazy expanse. The time it takes an individual to reach a particular place on the Astral Plane depends on how familiar the traveler is with that area.[/sblock]

[sblock=Astral Ships]The githyanki posses the ability to create special astral ships. Each ship is difficult to create, requiring years of work. Small communities have access to only a handful, though large fortress-cities such as Tu'narath have a fleet, some of which are used for trade.

Astral ships vary in size from small skiffs to galleon-sized craft, all of which look something like terrestrial keelboats. Most are equipped with harpoons and ballistrae, and the largest possess catapults. Astral ships can ram other ships and creatures larger and up to two size categories smaller than themselves.[/sblock]

[sblock=Tu'narath]Tu'narath (Metropolis): Conventional; Alignment LE; 100,000 gp limit; Population: 100,000; Githyanki 96%, Other 4%.

Tu'narath is the githyanki capital city, built on the body of a dead god adrift in the Astral Plane. Subjective directional gravity holds sway within 200' of the city, allowing the city's inhabitants to walk normally. As they enter Tu'narath's "gravity well," creatures and objects moving within 200' of the city begin to fall from the Astral Plane's gravity-free space. A series of mooring towers and landing platforms allow astral ships to dock.

Surrounding the city are several chunks of astral detritus atop which the githyanki have built small, fortified citadels. Chained to these "flying fortresses" are small chunks of rock with towers jutting out of them.
[sblock=Architecture]Tu'narath architecture reflects the githyanki militaristic mindset--ominous structures with flying buttresses and protruding wrought-iron spikes, but with enough décor to make them more than cold assemblages of stone and iron. Occasional golden domes dot the cityscape. Porticos are oft adorned with sculptures and frescoes depicting githyanki champions riding red dragons. Buildings are densely packed, multi-story affairs joined by stone bridges on upper levels. Bridges that span roadways are common sights in every district.[/sblock]
[sblock=Laws]Githyanki society precludes the need for codified laws, since there is virtually no crime and all disputes are handled within a strict military chain of command. Although githyanki do not generally share space with other races, Tu'narath is cosmopolitan enough to host outsiders. Outsiders have few rights, but are allowed to conduct trade and come and go as they please. Unless the Commissar or other higher authority dictates otherwise, foreigners are watched closely but are tolerated.

Githyanki kill on sight any and all githzerai, mind flayers, and other blood enemies. Harboring a member of one of these races in the city is a capital offense.

The presumption is that an accused is guilty and bears the burden of proving his innocence. In some instances, when no githyanki are involved in a crime, both the accused and the accuser are deemed at fault. This serves as a disincentive to report crime. [/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hm, high level 3.5e, eh?

I am a little confused by two things. First, you want to use Pathfinder race builder rules for a 3.5e game?

And second, is it 16 points or 20? You use both figures at different parts. :)

I am a little confused by two things. First, you want to use Pathfinder race builder rules for a 3.5e game?

And second, is it 16 points or 20? You use both figures at different parts.
You caught me in the middle of editing. Yup, I want to use Pathfinder race builder rules for a 3.5 game. If someone wants to create a custom race but the Pathfinder rules mechanic doesn't precisely translate to 3.5, we can discuss it. I've clarified the OP to reflect a 16 race point build.

We hardly ever get to enjoy a high-level game around here. All of my characters for PbP tend to be front-loaded builds, based on the assumption that the character will never be used beyond 2nd level. And I realized the other day that there are a ton of spells that have never seen the light of day at any of my game tables, online or otherwise.

I figured, why not?

Shayuri

First Post
I totally agree! The nature of PBP's and the 'sweet spot' of gaming is such you rarely get to see such things.

I'm totally down with it.

I see the Complete books from 3.5 aren't listed as sources. Would it be okay if I made a couple of specific requests from those books?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I have a question or two:
1. Have you heard of a [prc] swift blade? its here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327
2. you show this as 3.5, would it be doable in pathfinder instead?
3. How have you been doing?
4. Are you having fun with your return to En World?
5. Do you miss Mortality.net?

[sblock=Game Background]Vlaakith CLVII, the reigning sovereign of the githyanki race, is the legitimate descendant of the original Vlaakith, and her word is law. Unlike her predecessors, however, Vlaakith is a lich, has no heirs, and in her undead state is unable to produce them. Naturally, that is. Vlaakith demands unswerving loyalty and obedience from her people, and few dare question her resolve or her wisdom. She sequesters herself in her forlorn palace and is rarely seen by her subjects.

Vlaakith jealously guards her throne by devouring the essences of her most powerful followers. Any githyanki who rises above 16th level must stand before her in the Palace of Whispers and be judged. Most come willingly. Cowards and dissidents who try to avoid their fate, however, are hunted down by the Ch'r'ai, captured, and dragged before the lich-queen at her palace in Tu'narath on the Astral Plane.

If you are githyanki, you are just such a dissident. Your failure to appear before Vlaakith has been noticed; you have curried the Lich-Queen's disfavor. If you are non-githyanki or are a custom race, Vlaakith has noticed your heroic endeavors on the Material Prime (or perhaps in the Planes), and seeks to have you similarly brought before her throne.

Setting: Astral Plane
Level: 18th
Party Number: 4
Point Buy: 28
hp: Max at 1st lvl; 3/4 per level for 2nd-10th lvl; and 1/2 per level for 11-18th lvl
Gold: 440,000 gp (you may start play with no more than 1,000 gp on hand)
Alignment: Any, but must possess the ability to work within a group
Race: Core; Githyanki; Custom (see the Pathfinder Race Builder rules and use a 16 race point allotment); OR any race from the "Sourcebooks permitted" list. If your character relies on monstrous hit dice, the ECL (class levels + hit die + level adjustment, if any) must be no higher than 18.
Class: See "Sourcebooks Permitted."
Experience Points: 156,000

Sourcebooks Permitted: 3.5 PHB, 3.5 DMG, 3.5 Monster Manual I, 3.0 Monster Manual II, 3.0 Monster Manual III, Unearthed Arcana, 3.0 Psionics Handbook, 3.0 Manual of the Planes, 3.x Fiend Folio, 3.x Book of Vile Darkness, 3.x Book of Exhalted Deeds, Pathfinder Race Builder rules with 20 race point allotment. If you would like to use alternate source material, ask. I am open to discussion.
[/sblock]

ALL CHARACTER SUBMISSIONS SHALL USE THIS FORMAT, AND SHOW YOUR MATH:
[sblock=Character Sheet]INFORMATION
Name: Chaney the Wanderer
Player: CanadienneBacon
Race: Human
Class: 3 fighter/ 5 wizard/10 swiftblade
Level: 18
Alignment: N
Languages:
Deity:
Size: Medium
Weight: 220#
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Skin Color: Medium

ABILITIES
Str: 18 +4 (10 points, +2 racial)
Dex: 16 +3 (2 points, +4 class levels)
Con: 14 +2 (5 points)
Int: 10 +0 (0 points, -2 racial, +2 item name)
Wis: 14 +2 (10 points)
Cha: 11 +0 (1 point)

COMBAT
HP: 13 [d10, +2 Con, +1 feat]
AC: 15 [10 base, +1 Dex, +3 studded leather, +1 natural]
AC Touch: 11 [10 base, +1 Dex]
Flatfooted: 14 [10 base, +3 armor, +1 natural]
Init: +1 [1 Dex]
Fortitude: +4 [2 base, +2 Con]
Reflex: +1 [0 base, +1 Dex]
Will: +0 [0 base, +0 Wis]
Speed: 40'

WEAPON
Long Sword: Attack: +x [+1 BAB, + Str, + feat name], Damage: 1d+, Crit: , Type:
Long Bow: Attack: +x [+1 BAB, + Str, + item name], Damage: 1d+, Crit: , Type:
Heavy Mace: Attack: +x [BAB,]

ARMOR
xxxxx: AC: +x, MDB +x, ACP: -x
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
RACIAL
Abilities: +2 Str, -2 Int
Base Speed: 30'
Favored: Fighter (HP)
Fast Movement +10'
Natural Armor +1
Bite 1d3
Claws 1d4
Bonus Feat: Weapon Focus (Claw)

CLASS: Fighter
Armor/Weapons: All armor and all shields / all simple and martial
Bonus Feat: Power Attack

FEATS
Weapon Focus (Bite) - +1 bonus on attack rolls with bite attack
Weapon Focus (Claw) - +1 bonus on attack rolls with claw attacks
Power Attack - can choose to take a –1 penalty on all melee attack rolls and combat maneuver checks to gain a +2 bonus on all melee damage rolls

SKILLS 3 [2 base, +0 Int, +1 race]
Climb +7 (4 ranks, +3 Str)
Handle Animal +4 (1 rank, +0 Cha, +3 magic item name)
Swim +7 (4 ranks, +3 Str)

CARRYING CAPACITY
Light: 76#
Medium: 153#
Heavy: 230#

EQUIPMENT
Explorer's Outfit (0gp, 0#, worn)
Studded Leather (25gp, 20#, worn)
Backpack (2gp, 2#, back)
Rod of Alertness (85,000gp, 4#, backpack)
Total (22gp, 26#, light)

FINANCES: 1000gp

Appearance: No more than three lines to describe what your character looks like.

Background: Describe your character history AND provide at least one NPC connection.[/sblock]

I have a question or two:
1. Have you heard of a [prc] swift blade? its here: http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327
I'll look at it. Later. I'm interested in pushing limits with this game, but I did already give a generous allotment of source material, point buy, and race creation rules.

2. you show this as 3.5, would it be doable in pathfinder instead?
No. The module was written for 3.5 and I don't have time to do a conversion. I (briefly) considered running it in Pathfinder and just winging encounters, but that made me nervous because it's a high-level game and fiddling with mechanics may put things out of whack in bad, bad ways.

3. How have you been doing?
Doing great. Work is stellar. Family is healthy. My mum has cancer. I guess one can't have it all.

4. Are you having fun with your return to En World?
You know it.

5. Do you miss Mortality.net?
Nope.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Oooooh, spiffy. :D

I have an idea...

A red dragon. A very young red dragon (ECL 15) with 3 levels in a standard class. This dragon is either the partner of a githyanki PC who has gone rogue or lost its partner recently to the lich queen and now seeks revenge by joining up with the other PCs.

What say you?

Remove ads