• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Dusk, Blue Magic] TIME!!! It's on your side...Yes it is!!

Michael Morris

First Post
Our subject this week, time magic...

Name the card with this flavor text....
The Academy worked with time, until time ran out...

Time Walk
Transmutation [Temporial]
Level Sor / Wiz 7, Blue 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures weighing up to 50 lb. / level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will Negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

You move forward in time, up to one day per level. You are able to see if other creatures are in the area in the future and can choose to appear based on that criteria (such as I will time walk to Baron Nebis' arrival here). If the criteria is not fulfilled you move forward in time to the fullest extent of the spell.
Be aware that there is no way to move back in time in the Dusk setting.
Material Components: A 500 gp diamond.

Time Warp
Level Sor / Wiz 9, Blue 8
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Long (400' + 40' / level)
Effect: All creatures in range
Duration: 1 round
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

"Let's do it again!!" Timmon shouted!!

On the round following this spell everything happens twice with the same results as the first attempt. Therefore if a fighter attacks a foe and deals 36 points of damage in two attacks those attack occur again and deal 36 more points of damage.
Material Component A diamond worth 1000 gp.

Time Twister
Level Blue 6
Components: V, S
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round / level (D)

When you complete this spell you phase out of time. While out of time you essentially do not exist and cannot be attacked or harmed by any means. At the beginning of each or your actions you phase into time. You can perform one move-equivalent action or cast a spell, then you phase out of time again.

Your opponents can ready an action to attack you and you can be attacked for provoking an attack of opportunity.

Time Spiral
Level Blue 9
Components: V, S, XP
Range: Long (400' + 40' / level)
Effect: All creatures in range
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

All creatures in range revert back to their status at the beginning of the combat. All damage is healed, The dead are returned to life, etc., as though the encounter had yet to occur. All spells cast during the combat are recovered by their casters as if not cast except for time spiral, which cannot be cast again for 24 hours.
XP Cost: 1000 XP are lost when this spell is completed.

Last edited:

gpetruc

First Post
Nice spells.
Just two things
Maybe Time Twister should be something different, IMHO (in MtG this was actually a spell to mess up the situation and regain lost power, not a defensive spell)
Time Walk is nice, but actually I think that the 3E Time Stop spell is actually very close to the Time Walk from MtG. Maybe one could just use that.
Or write something like (I'm leaving some options to balance it):
Time Walk.
Level: ? ?
Casting time: Free Action (or Move action?)
When you cast this spell you gain an additional full round of actions (or a partial action?)
If you cast this in an opponent's turn by readying an action (or by casting it as a free action, if your DM allows non-readyied free actions), you gain the action when the character currently attacking finishes its actions. (but the spell is cast before the triggering action occurs, as per core rules)
[example: Bob is attacking you. You have readyied "If he attacks me, I cast time walk". You cast Time Walk before he attacks, than he attacks, and when he finishes his actions in the current round you gain the additional partial or full round action]

-------------
In the case it gains a partial action, I'd have it casted as a free action and be mid-low level. (It works either as a 1 round haste or as having an additional readying option)

In the case of an additional full round action, if it's cast as a free action it should be higher in level.

Oni

First Post
Time Warp feels really clunky, and I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to act. How does it interact with movement for instance (lets say fighter a attacked fighter b, then fighter b moved away from fighter a and then you cast this spell, what happens?).

Though you've said there isn't any backwards travel in time, it seems like a more doable take on this spell would simple be to erase everything between the casting of the spell and the beginning of your previous turn (except of course the casting of this spell). Thats a pretty powerful effect, you could consider that a candidate for that can only be cast once in X period of time thing I was discussing with you before, if you decide to use that.

As it stands right now based on the descriptions of the Time Warp and Time Twister it seems like the names would make more sense reversed. I really like the Time Twister spell though, it's cool reminds me of phasing. Also vaguely reminds me of the Statue spell (just not silly).

Michael Morris

First Post
gamecat said:
"Temporial" is spelt "Temporal"...

I think the card is Tolarian Academy, or Arcane Laboratory.

It is Tolarian Academy...

Next one.... (Hint, it's a blue spell)

Motivation was high at the academy once stundents learned that flunking their exams could kill them.

Remove ads