D&D 5E Magic Item Math of 5e

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No, Max, punching me in the face and giving me 5 bucks are two actions, not one.

Clicking "laugh" is the giving me five bucks part of your example - you can give me five bucks and mean it with every bit of meaning that you can for it to belittle me, and yet it doesn't because, hey, I've got 5 bucks I didn't have before hand.

Not if the 5 bucks is on my fist with glue on the outside to stick to your face. One action and you get both.

CapnZapp

Legend
You mean like if clicking the laugh button was demonstrably a benefit to the recipient such as by increasing their forum experience points, adding to the impression that the poster is well received on the forum and that they know what they are talking about, while also improving the user's standing on the ranking list of who the funniest posters are?

I mean, I can see how someone might want the current laugh functionality to belittle someone, but it already can't possibly accomplish that because of how it is designed - unless you believe that someone can belittle another person by giving XP to a post of theirs which might not have actually deserved it.
I choose to believe you aren't aware how insensitive you could appear to come across as, when you reply in this matter.

If I tell you "it's possible to feel sad about getting a laugh point" what is your response.

If you choose to click the laugh button, that makes the perfect example to prove my point.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
The preceding laugh at [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION]'s post should not be construed as a virtual punch in the face or any other attempt to misuse this forum's feedback mechanisms.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Not if the 5 bucks is on my fist with glue on the outside to stick to your face. One action and you get both.
I know you aren't being serious about equating "punch-stick 5 bucks to your face" and "give you 5 bucks", so I'll just leave the conversation at this: find a way to give someone 5 bucks, that's it - end of action, no special riders, no contextual delivery method - and it be belittling to that person.

I choose to believe you aren't aware how insensitive you could appear to come across as, when you reply in this matter.

If I tell you "it's possible to feel sad about getting a laugh point" what is your response.
It is possible to feel sad about anything, and even nothing at all. That doesn't mean that whatever you end up feeling sad about is automatically someone else making you feel that way.

If someone laughs at your post, you don't have any kind of sign whether it is a genuine laugh or an attempt to belittle you with just the "so and so laughed at your post" notification, so it is up to you the recipient to choose for yourself whether to take that as "person must have thought I was funny and is giving me props for it," or as "person is making me sad." Since this is the internet and none of it actually matters, I encourage everyone to choose the former.

If you choose to click the laugh button, that makes the perfect example to prove my point.
I choose to click laugh on posts I find humorous, that's what it is for. That ends up making anyone sad, that is absolutely on them - there is a difference between someone being disrespectful, and someone feeling disrespected.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I know you aren't being serious about equating "punch-stick 5 bucks to your face" and "give you 5 bucks", so I'll just leave the conversation at this: find a way to give someone 5 bucks, that's it - end of action, no special riders, no contextual delivery method - and it be belittling to that person.

So I propose a scenario that defeats your statement and you declare me not serious and leave? Nice. Would my scenario be common in the real world? No. Is it possible to do? Very. Would it accomplish both hurting you and giving you something good? Absolutely. It proves your statement wrong.

It is possible to feel sad about anything, and even nothing at all. That doesn't mean that whatever you end up feeling sad about is automatically someone else making you feel that way.

Correct. It is not automatically someone else, but it IS someone else when it's caused by the laugh button.

If someone laughs at your post, you don't have any kind of sign whether it is a genuine laugh or an attempt to belittle you with just the "so and so laughed at your post" notification, so it is up to you the recipient to choose for yourself whether to take that as "person must have thought I was funny and is giving me props for it," or as "person is making me sad." Since this is the internet and none of it actually matters, I encourage everyone to choose the former.

That's just bupkis. There are certain posters here who are.......contentious with me when they post, so I'm contentious back. When they laugh at my posts, which have no humor in them at all most of the time, they are either try to belittle me (unsuccessfully) or something is wrong with their ability to know what humor is and they should seek medical help. It's very obvious when someone is using it incorrectly.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
So I propose a scenario that defeats your statement and you declare me not serious and leave? Nice. Would my scenario be common in the real world? No. Is it possible to do? Very. Would it accomplish both hurting you and giving you something good? Absolutely. It proves your statement wrong.
It proves nothing, unless you can elaborate upon how you can do the on-forum equivalent - click that laugh button, and without actually making a separate action such as a post explaining why you are laughing, make it feel like the forum equivalent of punching me in the face.

Correct. It is not automatically someone else, but it IS someone else when it's caused by the laugh button.
No, someone disagreeing with you is not that person's fault the disagreement has made you sad - even if the disagreement was about whether there was humor to what you said or not.

That's just bupkis. There are certain posters here who are.......contentious with me when they post, so I'm contentious back. When they laugh at my posts, which have no humor in them at all most of the time, they are either try to belittle me (unsuccessfully) or something is wrong with their ability to know what humor is and they should seek medical help. It's very obvious when someone is using it incorrectly.
Unless you are admitting that when you laughed at some of my posts which I was sharing as genuine opinions rather than intended as jokes you were doing so specifically in the effort to belittle me, or are taking this opportunity to mention that you are personally afflicted with a medical condition that prevents you from knowing what humor is, I don't see how you have any ground upon which to declare my statements "bupkis."

Remove ads