NetFlix's DareDevil - Your thoughts?

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Gotham is the worst of them (and still heads and tails over what we saw ten years ago... mutant X shudder)
Yeah, that was something else.

I follow this guy emergency awesome on you tube, and he was talking about them writing and tapeing at he same time, and that they were rewrites on the set...so I think one of you has it wrong. I believe it is you just looking for a reason that Netflix is better then cable. Unless you were on set, or in those rooms, I'm not sure that this is going anywhere though... I don't want to get into a argument over it...
Even films can have re-writes or re-shoots before a films is released. But not all the episodes of a tv show are filmed when the first episodes are released. Once those are out, you can't change what happened to them.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Even films can have re-writes or re-shoots before a films is released. But not all the episodes of a tv show are filmed when the first episodes are released. Once those are out, you can't change what happened to them.

that's not what you said though... you said Dare devil was better because they story boarded and wrote it before tape rolled... but again I see no evidence of that at all. The fact that 13 hrs dropped at once isn't any better then 24hrs dropping 1 hr a week over the next 40 weeks...

Kramodlog

. The fact that 13 hrs dropped at once isn't any better then 24hrs dropping 1 hr a week over the next 40 weeks...
Like I said, because it isn't made all at once. They might make 6 episodes and put them on tv. When later they shoot episode 18 and suddenly what happened in episode 4 cause continuity problem, they can't reshoot that problematic scene from episode 4. A lot of tv series aren't written and shot all at once. They are filmed as the season progresses. With a film or netflix you can't do that.

Does it mean all series will be better on netflix than on tv? No. But for DD the added value really shows. It is coherent. Same goes for True Detective, for example. The smaller format also helps.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Like I said, because it isn't made all at once. They might make 6 episodes and put them on tv. When later they shoot episode 18 and suddenly what happened in episode 4 cause continuity problem, they can't reshoot that problematic scene from episode 4. A lot of tv series aren't written and shot all at once. They are filmed as the season progresses. With a film or netflix you can't do that.

Does it mean all series will be better on netflix than on tv? No. But for DD the added value really shows. It is coherent. Same goes for True Detective, for example. The smaller format also helps.

so a theoretical problem a TV show might have had or will have... what does that have to do with flash that has so far had no issue, or arrow even for that matter? At this point it almost seems like you are just arguing to argue. Please tell me the point of this, because I didn't see anything in Dare Devil that showed this 'advantage' over flash...

Kramodlog

so a theoretical problem a TV show might have had or will have... what does that have to do with flash that has so far had no issue, or arrow even for that matter? At this point it almost seems like you are just arguing to argue. Please tell me the point of this, because I didn't see anything in Dare Devil that showed this 'advantage' over flash...
Well yeah, you don't see how the Flash's actors are worse than Stewart and McKellen...

The point? Well when a serie's episodes are all written before filming, it makes a for a superior product because there is a vision guiding it. Plot holes are taken care of before filming andcontradictions resolved. It also reduces fillers. All scenes, or most, have a purpose. They either propel the plot forward or deepen the psychological dept of the characters. With 23 episodes you have so much filler episodes that have so little do to with the main arc and usually end with the hero learning a moral lesson. e.g. Friendship is awesome! Love is all powerful! /barf

At least in theory. Some can still suck. Of course, it is not the case with DD.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
In defense of The Flash, I think the pacing is awesome. It's running full speed. I did not expect them to hit anywhere near as many points as they have so early (spoilering some examples so I don't give stuff away).
[sblock](1) Barry telling Iris how he feels so early. I thought they'd drag it out all season, make it a finale or pre-finale kind of deal. Nope, handled it pretty early.

(2) Barry confronting Reverse Flash. They had this as early as episode 9! Color me surprised and impressed.

(3) The series dealing with the time-travel/Barry's mother's death (and the characters learning what happened) in the first season. I honestly thought they'd make it take longer. Hasn't happened yet, but it's clearly building that way.

(4) Everyone learning that Barry is the Flash. Only Iris doesn't know. Even Captain Cold knows! This took a while on Arrow (pretty much the last character just found out, and we're deep in season 3).

(5) Dr. Wells' identity and secrets are fully explained. Again, I thought this might be a season 1 finale kind of thing. Nope, we're getting it midway through the first season.[/sblock]
I'm not really looking to jump in on the "better or worse" argument. But while The Flash has some filler, it's actually very fast-paced compared to most other shows. Including Daredevil, in my opinion. That show could've been trimmed down, and I think it would've been better for it.

Ryujin

Legend
I'm not sure what you think is wrong with the flash but all of that is great. I mean they got the flash costume, and most the villains in there perfect. I don't think that Dare devil did any better then the CW did.

Gotham is the worst of them (and still heads and tails over what we saw ten years ago... mutant X shudder)

I follow this guy emergency awesome on you tube, and he was talking about them writing and tapeing at he same time, and that they were rewrites on the set...so I think one of you has it wrong. I believe it is you just looking for a reason that Netflix is better then cable. Unless you were on set, or in those rooms, I'm not sure that this is going anywhere though... I don't want to get into a argument over it...

read the first page again I ranked all of the shows, and put flash at the top, way above DD

I see a big difference in the way that shows like "The Flash" and "Arrow" tell the story, when compared to something like "Daredevil." From my point of view "Daredevil" uses drama fairly effectively. The CW shows are melodramas. When watching the CW shows I'm constantly wondering who is going to be staring longingly into who's eyes next, and what the next random hookup will be.

One characterization in "Daredevil" that I really like, is that of Wilson Fisk/Kingpin. He's more nuanced than the average villain. Is he aware of what he is doing or is he the villain, who thinks that he's the hero of the story? People are generally very good at justifying their own actions.

Remove ads