NetFlix's DareDevil - Your thoughts?

Ryujin

Legend
You know that, for a Marvel comic, Daredevil is often pretty grim, right? Making it darker than the other things in the Marvel cinematic universe would be appropriate.

A superhero who deals with assassins and murderers on a daily basis? How could it help but be a "feel good tour de force"? ;)

You know that, for a Marvel comic, Daredevil is often pretty grim, right? Making it darker than the other things in the Marvel cinematic universe would be appropriate.

I agree and liked it being dark. I didn't like random thug Russian gangsters that I've gotten very used to getting trashed by may or ward destroying him, then him needing 5 minutes of medical attention where they say how serious it is (collapsed lung) then magic meditation and he is fine.

Don't mistake me not likeing something for not understanding it. As a stand alone not comaired to MCU this show would be great... But as part of it, I feel it falls into meh...

Someone suggested more hand assassin and more innocent people being defended, and maybe dome supervillians. I think that would have been better. Dare devil is supposed to be dark and grim, but also super... This version didn't feel very super compaiered to the rest of the universe, and felt more then a little crammed in.

I was also looking forward to this whole "No origins" thing But now I hope this isn't a look at what Dr strange looks like.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Someone suggested more hand assassin and more innocent people being defended, and maybe dome supervillians. I think that would have been better. Dare devil is supposed to be dark and grim, but also super... This version didn't feel very super compaiered to the rest of the universe, and felt more then a little crammed in.

A blind guy doing ninja stuff, detect lying and being able to do some Sherlock analysis of someone is pretty super. The difference with movies is scale. Macro vs micro, global vs local. Thor defends the Nine Realms. He needs lots of super because he isa global superhero. Daredevil defends Hell's Kitchen, a neighborhood in Manhanttan. He needs less super because he is a local superhero. Or, if you will, with less super he can only defend so much territory. The guy can'r fly, he runs on roof tops. The Nine Realms are out of reach. Heck, Stilt-Man is out of reach.

This why we'll see the Defenders. A team is needed for the larger threat that is coming (Black sky and Hand fueled I supposed).

Last edited:

A blind guy doing ninja stuff, detect lying and being able to do some Sherlock analysis of someone is pretty super. The difference with movies is scale. Macro vs micro, global vs local. Thor defends the Nine Realms. He needs lots of super because he isa global superhero. Daredevil defends Hell's Kitchen, a neighborhood in Manhanttan. He needs less super because he is a local superhero. Or, if you will, with less super he can only defend so much territory. The guy can'r fly, he runs on roof tops. The Nine Realms are out of reach. Heck, Stilt-Man is out of reach.

This why we'll see the Defenders. A team is needed for the larger threat that is coming (Black sky and Hand fueled I supposed).
So who compared him to Thor?

It must be easy to poke whiles in things if you make up the argument first...

Now try again with black widow, agent May, Grant Ward, mockingbird, and Agent trip.... You know the non powered heroes who work (mostly) on the sane scale as dare devil and do so with no powers at all... And with half of them just getting normal training not super ninja blind monk teachers.... If this were it's own thing it would stand up better...

As for the defenders Luke cage is closer to Thor then dare devil and iron fist and Jessica Jones are in between the two... If Matt gets beaten up by mob thugs what happens if the wrecking crew shows up?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As for the defenders Luke cage is closer to Thor

That's kind of like saying Philadelphia is closer to Honolulu than Boston is. Luke Cage is not in Thor's neighborhood. Thor is the god of thunder and strength. Thor has fought the Hulk to a stalemate for an hour, and is a match for Hercules. Thor has knocked people into orbit with a single punch. I kid you not.

How strong Cage is really depends on what era they are taking as their basis. Power Man has suffered significant power creep over time. In the comics originally, he could lift about 3 tons. Short-range small arms fire would not pierce his skin, but it would bruise him severely. In current comics, Cage can heft more like 25 tons, and take point-blank small arms fire without really noticing. But he's still not in Thor's league.

If Matt gets beaten up by mob thugs what happens if the wrecking crew shows up?

That will depend, again, on what era of Wrecking Crew they use. At times, Spider Man, alone, could take down the crew, much less DD and three others.

Do remember - they need to leave room for Daredevil to grow, and for the series to escalate. They aren't going to start with him at the top of his game, especially if you view this as an extended origin story. And that's setting aside how comic book superheroes are not generally all that consistent in terms of power levels.

Kramodlog

So who compared him to Thor?
You. Sort of. You compared DD's superness to the rest of the MCU universe.
Dare devil is supposed to be dark and grim, but also super... This version didn't feel very super compaiered to the rest of the universe, and felt more then a little crammed in.
I went with that and compared his superness to Thor's superness (cause he is part of the rest of the universe). Both are super, but one is more super than the other.

Now try again with black widow, agent May, Grant Ward, mockingbird, and Agent trip.... You know the non powered heroes who work (mostly) on the sane scale as dare devil and do so with no powers at all... And with half of them just getting normal training not super ninja blind monk teachers.... If this were it's own thing it would stand up better...
And DD is far more credible... In a superhero sort of way. The target audience is different for DD. They are aiming for more mature people*, so they go with less cartoony heroes, more credible action and psychological dept. Fine by me.

As for the defenders Luke cage is closer to Thor then dare devil and iron fist and Jessica Jones are in between the two... If Matt gets beaten up by mob thugs what happens if the wrecking crew shows up?
JJ's vilain will be Killgrave according to the wikipedia page. Seems the conflict is going to be psychological in nature rather than a question of brute strenght. Again, Marvel is playing with our expectations of superhero stories.

Disney Consumer Products created a small line of products that cater to a more adult audience, given the show’s edgier tone. Paul Gitter, senior VP of Marvel Licensing for Disney Consumer Products said, "We’ll be focusing less on products that are targeted at the very young consumer," and more on teens and adult with products at stores or outlets like Hot Topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_(TV_series)

You. Sort of. You compared DD's superness to the rest of the MCU universe. I went with that and compared his superness to Thor's superness (cause he is part of the rest of the universe). Both are super, but one is more super than the other.

And DD is far more credible... In a superhero sort of way. The target audience is different for DD. They are aiming for more mature people*, so they go with less cartoony heroes, more credible action and psychological dept. Fine by me.

JJ's vilain will be Killgrave according to the wikipedia page. Seems the conflict is going to be psychological in nature rather than a question of brute strenght. Again, Marvel is playing with our expectations of superhero stories.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daredevil_(TV_series)

Oh wow nice shadow insult If I don't like dare devil it must BE because I'm not adult enough... Just like when I (and anyone else I have heard) compared dd to the rest of the MCU we say agents of shield and black widow and some go to cap or stark when out of sujt in IM3 but yo pretended we wanted him to fight Thor.

Its just like how I keep being told it isn't an origin he is dare devil from day one BUT he gets beat up because he isn't fully grown into being dare devil...

Ok Agents of shield is not the same type of show, but If they are in the same universe they should be consistent... Or like I and others have said... "This would work better NOT connected to the MCU"

Kramodlog

Oh wow nice shadow insult If I don't like dare devil it must BE because I'm not adult enough...
Or maybe you're projecting a bit much? Do you do shadow insults and think other people do them?

Just like when I (and anyone else I have heard) compared dd to the rest of the MCU we say agents of shield and black widow and some go to cap or stark when out of sujt in IM3 but yo pretended we wanted him to fight Thor.
I have no idea what you're talking about, mate. I didn't say DD should fight Thor and you didn't mention Black Widow until I mentioned Thor.

Its just like how I keep being told it isn't an origin he is dare devil from day one BUT he gets beat up because he isn't fully grown into being dare devil...
I never said that. I fully expect him to get beat up in season 2 even if he now as a name.

Ok Agents of shield is not the same type of show, but If they are in the same universe they should be consistent... Or like I and others have said... "This would work better NOT connected to the MCU"
Guardian of the Galaxy was an action comedy, while Captain Murika: The Whimper Soldier was a dark spy drama. Yet they co-exist fine. Civil War will be dark even if Funny Tony is gonna be in it. I haven't heard this critic you've just formulated before. Earth and the universe are vaste. Different tones can co-exist. Tony Stark lives the wealthy, excessive and comedic life of the 1%. Matt Murdock lives in the darker world where slumlords and muggers. We'll get different kind of stories. And it is a good move. This tactique will prolongue the life of the superhero era of entertainment as people won't get tired of seeing superheroes.

Plus you know, watch the Afleck DD film right after you watched the netflix series. It was lighter, he was more super, and tell me that was a better than the series.

Guardian of the Galaxy was an action comedy, while Captain Murika: The Whimper Soldier was a dark spy drama. Yet they co-exist fine. Civil War will be dark even if Funny Tony is gonna be in it. I haven't heard this critic you've just formulated before. Earth and the universe are vaste. Different tones can co-exist. Tony Stark lives the wealthy, excessive and comedic life of the 1%. Matt Murdock lives in the darker world where slumlords and muggers. We'll get different kind of stories. And it is a good move. This tactique will prolongue the life of the superhero era of entertainment as people won't get tired of seeing superheroes.

Funny that... Every one you mentioned was a different theme AND fit just fine. That is my complaint that they made every other one fit. Dare devil doesn't fit, not because it couldn't have, but because they chose to do so.

You don't get it. I understand what you are saying, I just think it could have been done better.

You know what, I would have prefered the movie... It was bad, but it was because it was a bad movie... This was a good series that doesn't work.

Kramodlog

Funny that... Every one you mentioned was a different theme AND fit just fine. That is my complaint that they made every other one fit. Dare devil doesn't fit, not because it couldn't have, but because they chose to do so.
I think it fits and it is Hawkeye and Black Widow who do not. Their official lack of super powers and the actions they still are able to perform makes them stand out.

You don't get it. I understand what you are saying, I just think it could have been done better.
Oh, DD could have been done better. A bit shorter, it dragged a bit at the end. And there was something off with Fisk. I did not mind the journalist's death, but killing the only black guy of the show? Still, best superhero series done to date.

You know what, I would have prefered the movie... It was bad, but it was because it was a bad movie... This was a good series that doesn't work.
Wut?

Remove ads