[What's O.L.D Is N.E.W] Iain M Banks-inspired sci-fi campaign!

Unsung

First Post
So I had this idea that my character is/was an artificial intelligence originally designed for the purpose of warfare...which may be inferring more into this hypothetical society we're coming from than is warranted? But I kind of liked the idea that I have a sort of knee-jerk military mindset, a set of programmed 'instincts' that are violent, that I am attempting to transcend...both to better suit the Culture, as well as a personal way to mark myself as more than a non-sentient 'expert system' or some such.

Alternatively, I could be an emergent intelligence...perhaps a sort of 'botnet' designed to coordinate autonomous drones, gradually increased in complexity and autonomy until it crossed that invisible threshold...

Or...if the world is fairly low tech, I could simply be a first attempt at creating such a thing, with no specific program or design save to serve as a testbed; destined to be replaced with a new iteration when my development cycle was complete...

I don't think it's possible to infer too much into this society yet. Once you all decide on your characters we'll have to iron out some (but not necessarily all) inconsistencies (because civilizations and most other things only appear monolithic from the outside).

I like that idea, in both concepts, of an artificial intelligence with some growing to do... Among them shedding that 'artificial' rider. Life is life. I think the first idea is intriguing-- being literally designed only for war, and trying to find a way to escape that.

The first idea could follow the latter. It depends on how long the character has been 1) self-aware and 2) emancipated, I'd say.

Not that the Culture is all sunshine and buttercups themselves. In warfare among upper-level Involved, 'Don't f*** with the Culture' is, at this point, a long-standing dictum of galactic military policy. Many Minds and drones in SC are *quite* adept at warfare and quick to violence, in fact, although your average drill sergeant would note a shocking lack of discipline.

We do need to decide how low-tech the civ is going to be. Right now I'm thinking Cowboy Bebop/Firefly levels of technology, until you players tell me otherwise. :) In brief, that's a settled solar system with several terraformed planets and moons (with varying degrees of success), numerous artificial habitats and an abundance of starships, and limited hyperspace technology (right now I'm thinking large jumpgates between planets, because that's cool). Some advancements in medical science and computers we can only dream of here on Earth, obviously-- sufficient to upload a working human brain, but not to easily grow or otherwise fabricate replacement organs. It's a civ in a transitional stage, with some serious growing pains at hand. And they're not handling them well.

How's this sounding for everyone? This is all very fluid, at the moment. It's where my head's at, but I can be flexible if we want, for example, wretchedly overpopulated continent-encompassing continental sprawl a la Shadowrun or even Warhammer 40K's Necromunda, or more than one star system, or only one planet. This could even literally *be* earth's prospective future we're dealing with, if that's the route people want to go. :D

Think about it. Speak up when ready.

I'm touched to find that you read PoG the same time as me. I didn't know you were going to do that. There's something about sharing discovery that makes the thing discovered that much sweeter.

True words. I hope you both enjoy the book, or at least the peek into the Culture seen in the book.

What you might find useful is something that hasn't quite snuck into that playtest document is the "elective attribute". For timing reasons. Basically, you get to choose one attribute and one skill which have nothing to do with your careers. Every time you take a career, you can increase either by 1 point, but only if they are not included in the career advancement. They represent an outside elective or hobby, or a natural advantage, which is not career-dependent.

I like this rule. If it helps you to better represent the character you want, everybody, definitely make use of it.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I kind of like the idea of making it Earth, just to help bridge between the familiar (near'ish' future Earth) and the all-but incomprehensible (mega-science of the Culture).

GlassEye

Adventurer
I was originally thinking something non-human but I do like the future Earth idea. It does help by giving an anchor; I was struggling a bit and I think that should help. I'll think on it, and my character, some more.

Unsung

First Post
I'd like to keep this going, but it does look like there's something of a roadblock in terms of the intersect between those who are interested and those who have time available. Does that about sum it up? :\ It's okay if that's the case-- I can be patient. But I don't want to be stringing anyone along if we're a while from starting.

Shayuri

First Post
I'm still interested! Apologies, without a timeframe this game sort of got subsumed by things I had more concrete deadlines on. :)

I'll see if I can get this finished up asap!

GlassEye

Adventurer
Still here! I was just thinking a deadline might help us get on track when you posted, Unsung.

I'm a bit over 3/4 of the way finished with 'Look to Windward'. I see now why you suggested it for me to read. I feel it gives a better sense of the Culture than 'Player of Games' did. It has given me some ideas but those ideas have all become jumbled in my head and I don't feel any closer than before to getting a character sketched out let alone laid out with NEW mechanics.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm just tweaking the character creation section before sending it off to layout. I'll make sure you have a copy of the final version. There are some changes.

(It would be wonderful to have some careers and stuff specifically designed for this setting, but I'm not familiar enough with it, sadly).

Unsung

First Post
I didn't originally put a deadline on character creation because two out of three players posting in the original interest check weren't sure if they were going to even have the time to join (and then people were reading the books, so...), but if you want a soft deadline, how about the 24th? Mostly I just want to keep communication going, so if there's any questions, mechanical or otherwise, or ideas no matter how preliminary, just say the word. ;)
[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] Thanks for that! Most of the existing careers will work for this. The advantage of the Culture is mostly quantity-- more to learn, more time to learn it. Though since from the sound of things, most of the PCs are going to be from a future Earth, the basic careers will be fine for a start. I'm not even sure exactly what we'd need to represent a 'typical' Culture citizen, Contact diplomat, or SC agent. They're pretty broad definitions all around.

Shayuri

First Post
I've gotten started on this. I'll not hold off for the final rules changes...better to have a foundation, then apply changes as needed.

24th will work fine for me!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases