[What's O.L.D Is N.E.W] Iain M Banks-inspired sci-fi campaign!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Welcome! You can find the playtest rules right here:
http://www.woinrpg.com/playtest/
and here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?categoryid=36

We'll mostly be using the N.E.W ruleset, which is for games set in the future, although I'd also consider elements from the other rules on a case-by-case basis. :)

Note that the rules reference document on woinrpg.com tends to be ahead of those playtest documents. It might be better as a primary source at present (and until the actual books are released) although it's a bit dryer and doesn't have any descriptive text, examples, or discussive, or worldbuilding stuff there.

Shayuri

First Post
Lack of worldbuilding is a plus for this particular game, I expect, since it's being set in a well-developed setting of it's own.

Thanks for the links!

Okay, I have questions. Looking at the SRD here. It seems to lack basic chargen info.

It says Primary Attributes start at 3 dice, secondary at 0...but I don't see any explanation for what Secondary Attributes are. It also seems odd that every single Primary attribute...which appear to be all 8 of them...starts at the 'above average' rank of 3 dice. No mention of shifting dice around is made.

The entry on Careers seems crucial, as these limit the overal size of dice pools and form a lifepath type of character generation I'm keen to try...but there's nothing but a big list of careers here. No information about what they do, or how to use them.

I kind of stopped at this point. I can't even begin to create a character with these rules as presented, they don't give a foundation to work from.

It's perfectly understandable if the free SRD doesn't give that info, but it sort of sounded from your posts as if it does, especially when it's recommended that we use it instead of the 'less up to date' playtest materials. Am I just being really stupid and missing a crucial link that has all this stuff in it? :)

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
It says Primary Attributes start at 3 dice, secondary at 0...but I don't see any explanation for what Secondary Attributes are. It also seems odd that every single Primary attribute...which appear to be all 8 of them...starts at the 'above average' rank of 3 dice. No mention of shifting dice around is made.

I think I can answer this question, or at least part of it. Primary Attributes start with a score of 3 (not dice) and gain points when careers are taken. An average score is 4. Secondary attributes may refer to discretionary attributes (Reputation, Psi, Magic, Chi) which don't appear in every game or it may refer to derived statistics (Health, Speed, Jump, Carry, Initiative, Defense, Mental Defense) which are different calculations from primary attributes and/or skills. I suspect that derived statistics = secondary attributes.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Okay, I have questions. Looking at the SRD here. It seems to lack basic chargen info.

Yes, it's not complete. I only started doing it a week or two ago, and there's a lot of info to add. The playtest document is probably your best bet for chargen stuff.

It says Primary Attributes start at 3 dice, secondary at 0...but I don't see any explanation for what Secondary Attributes are.

Secondary attributes are the optional ones. MAGIC, CHI, PSIONICS. Not all games will use them all, and even in games which use one or more of them, not all characters will have them.

It also seems odd that every single Primary attribute...which appear to be all 8 of them...starts at the 'above average' rank of 3 dice. No mention of shifting dice around is made.

Starting score of 3, not starting dice pool of 3d6. Each additional dice gets harder and harder to gain; a starting score of 3 gives you 2d6. You need a score of 6 to get 3d6, and 10 to get 4d6.

The entry on Careers seems crucial, as these limit the overal size of dice pools and form a lifepath type of character generation I'm keen to try...but there's nothing but a big list of careers here. No information about what they do, or how to use them.

Yep. That'll take me days to transcribe from the playtest documents. I'll do it when I have time, but for now use the playtest document.

I kind of stopped at this point. I can't even begin to create a character with these rules as presented, they don't give a foundation to work from.

Yeah, the rules reference document is best used as a quick reference, not an actual rulebook. It only has about 10% of the material there, if that. I view it more as a thing where folks can quickly look up a chart or an exploit, though it will grow as and when I have the time.

It's perfectly understandable if the free SRD doesn't give that info, but it sort of sounded from your posts as if it does, especially when it's recommended that we use it instead of the 'less up to date' playtest materials. Am I just being really stupid and missing a crucial link that has all this stuff in it? :)

I'll clarifiy - use the playtest document, but if the SRD contradicts it, it's newer. It shouldn't happen much, but the playtest document is some months old, and the SRD is a week old. :)

The N.E.W. docuemnt is pretty up to date, actually; it's if you use anything from the O.L.D. one, that dates back to last October. If you're only using the N.E.W. one, you should be largely fine, but there may be some minor differences.

Last edited:

Unsung

First Post
It might also help if I could get the attachment function to work in PM. :\

Looking at my previous PM, I realize that none of the files I wanted to attach went through. Which could be the source of some confusion, honestly. I'm seeing now why that would be-- I can't get the attachment button to do anything other than open up a pale yellow bar right now. Weird.

I'll see if I can figure that out. Meanwhile, the character creation book here is what I'm going by:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1222

Shayuri

First Post
GlassEye and Morrus, thanks very much for the clarification! I completely missed the 'point system' attached to the attributes! Fairly big derp on my part. :)

GlassEye

Adventurer
Are they fairly humanoid? Pan-humanity and convergent evolution seems to be fairly common across this universe, for reasons that are not generally discussed in the books. There are definite exceptions, however.

Yes, on humanoid. I wasn't sure about alien races so I'm glad you mentioned it. As for the other, shackled AI is interesting but I'll leave it to Shayuri to decide if their character is from the same place. And welcome, Rubberneck!

Remove ads