D&D 5E Battle master combat maneuvers

Zaran

Adventurer
Yep, I missed Riposte. I'm not planning on having it early (ever?) because of parry. In general, I'd prefer to block X damage done to me than do X damage. And as a dex-based fighter the numbers are the same (baring magic items). But it should certainly go on the list as it's better than a number of other options. For me, it's probably down with disarming attack...

Because my AC is pretty high, I don't use Parry that often. I do use Riposte a lot especially when I'm fighting multiple foes. That way I have an extra attack every round. Taking a hit or two isn't bad when I can do Second Wind. My dual wielder (Level 4) has Riposte, Parry, Feinting Attack, and Evasive Footwork. I haven't used Evasive Footwork yet. I do use Feinting Attack when I have disadvantage vs a foe. The advantage from the Feint and the disadvantage cancel and it's a regular attack. I've used Parry some and Riposte quite often.

You would never not have this ability on then. It's pretty obvious it's meant to increase your AC during a move action or similar action and ends at the end of the action.

Only if you do indeed stop moving at the end of a move action.

"Stopping" to open a door wouldn't end it, but ending the move action would.
Actually stopping to open a door IS stopping so that ends it. The move action ending would only stop it if the movement didn't continue.

Anyhow, in my campaign it ends when you actually stop or when combat ends whichever comes first.

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Magical BMs would be interesting, though I figure the Eldritch Knight more fills that role - burning hands, thunderwave, etc.
yea but having non spells that were magic... but it might be a pipe dream
It'd be cool to have a maneuver that ignored s/p/b resistance, or one that gave a foe an ongoing condition like weakened, but I feel like giving allies a bonus and lowering the AC is pretty well covered by Distracting, Feinting, and Trip. What would you want a maneuver to do that those don't do already?
something other then advantage/disadvantage... like disarm takes away your weapon, sunder armor would take away part of your armor

The ability gives the AC bonus "until the battle master stops moving". If you move your full movement rate every turn then you are still moving. If one were to run for 3 combat rounds in a row chasing someone, would you say that they came to a stop every 30 feet then started again? The turn structure makes it seem like everyone is moving in stop motion.

If they take a couple steps, stop, and attack then yes they have stopped moving. One can attack without stopping though.

the problem is that as it breaks down you have 3 people in initiative, players A, B and C

player A plans on running 300ft, they have a 30ft move and a 30ft dash so they will be running for 5 rounds, they don't stop.

player B plans on moveing 30, dashing 30, using there bonus action to dash another 30, then on rd two moveing 30 and attacking.

Player C plans on keeping up with Player A but on round 3 decided to stop and help player B out instead.

round 1 they are all running, do they stop at the end of there turn? on round 2 player B stops to attack, but at what point in the round? on round 3 player C stops to help player B out, but did he also stop on round 2? Does player A ever stop?

the problem is that as it breaks down you have 3 people in initiative, players A, B and C

player A plans on running 300ft, they have a 30ft move and a 30ft dash so they will be running for 5 rounds, they don't stop.

player B plans on moveing 30, dashing 30, using there bonus action to dash another 30, then on rd two moveing 30 and attacking.

Player C plans on keeping up with Player A but on round 3 decided to stop and help player B out instead.

round 1 they are all running, do they stop at the end of there turn? on round 2 player B stops to attack, but at what point in the round? on round 3 player C stops to help player B out, but did he also stop on round 2? Does player A ever stop?

The way I'm handling movement is that a full move is continuous movement unless the character wishes to stop for something. Dashing is sprinting in lieu of doing something else. So if you want to move faster then you dash. Moving at full move round to round I count as continuous movement unless the character stops voluntarily or is stopped by something external.

An attacker can stop to attack, or just attack as a run-by if they have enough movement. This may result in opportunity attacks. Stopping (at least momentarily)is required to open a closed door, pick up a dropped item, interact with an object not on your person, or similar actions. The brief stop will end the maneuver even if movement is resumed immediately afterword.

So in open areas with room to move, this maneuver could last the entire combat which is the only thing saving the maneuver from being a stinkbomb. It is a way to give martial characters nice things without resorting to magic or superpowers. I don't really care if that is RAW or not, it is fun and I'm the one running the campaign. No one else needs to interpret it this way unless they find it fun too.

Tony Vargas

Legend
So in open areas with room to move, this maneuver could last the entire combat which is the only thing saving the maneuver from being a stinkbomb. It is a way to give martial characters nice things without resorting to magic or superpowers. I don't really care if that is RAW or not, it is fun and I'm the one running the campaign.
That's very much in the spirit of 5e. You saw a choice that wasn't up to par, so you ruled in it's favor a bit to make it viable.

Chocolategravy

First Post
That's very much in the spirit of 5e. You saw a choice that wasn't up to par, so you ruled in it's favor a bit to make it viable.

I'm not so sure giving up to +12 to AC for running around in circles for an entire combat is within the spirit of many games, but if you think it is right in 5E's wheelhouse, who am I to argue. I'm sure the absurdity of running in circles won't put off high level fighters from enjoying being practically unhittable.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm not so sure giving up to +12 to AC for running around in circles for an entire combat is within the spirit of many games, but if you think it is right in 5E's wheelhouse,
It is right there in 5e's wheelhouse - for ExploderWizard.
5e lets each DM take what they want from the game, that's it's strongest suit.

I wouldn't even use the feats option when I run 5e, if I weren't running AL.

I'm not so sure giving up to +12 to AC for running around in circles for an entire combat is within the spirit of many games, but if you think it is right in 5E's wheelhouse, who am I to argue. I'm sure the absurdity of running in circles won't put off high level fighters from enjoying being practically unhittable.

+12? Yeah at 18th level! For much of the adventuring career its a d8.

Chocolategravy

First Post
+12? Yeah at 18th level! For much of the adventuring career its a d8.

Yeah, and the 29 AC the fighter can get from that at level 3 would mean almost anything up to challenge 9 and half the monsters at challenge 10 would need a 20 to hit, challenge 11 and 12 would mostly need a 19 to hit. Even an average roll on a d8 means most things through challenge 6 would need a 20. That is busted. The system can't handle bonuses anywhere close to that.

brehobit

Explorer
My dual wielder (Level 4) has Riposte, Parry, Feinting Attack, and Evasive Footwork. I haven't used Evasive Footwork yet.
I've seen at least one other post where someone said they had 4 maneuvers at 3rd or 4th level. Shouldn't it be 3? Am I missing something ('cause that would be great if I am!)

Remove ads