How to get into a Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion

Darklone

Couldn't we simply wish ourselves into the mansion?

(Carefully worded though against any arbitrary misinterpretation by the DM)

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Darklone said:
Couldn't we simply wish ourselves into the mansion?

(Carefully worded though against any arbitrary misinterpretation by the DM)

"I wish I were in Tremaine's Mansion"

*poof*

You are now an ornate vase in the Mansion's lobby... :D

Andargor

Celebrim

Legend
I basically agree with Intrope. The intent of the spell seems to be basically perfect sanctuary.

I think a targeted dispel on the 'door' would cause the contents to pop back out.

I more hesitant to concur over Gate's ability to provide access, but one thing is for sure - you have to be able to name the destination plane at the time of casting and naming the destination plane is no small feat considering it is a temporary small plane of existance. I would consider it something like knowing the 'true name' (an obselete concept but nonetheless useful in this context) of the caster, and would require I suppose scrying, other divination, and maybe a Knowledge(Arcane) check. A DM could with just as much reason declare the plane 'nameless' and thus unreachable through gate.

Even with that, I'd be inclined to count the Wizard as Planar Ruler, and at the very least allow him a contested skill role to keep a mortal spellcaster out (possibly _any_ spellcaster, though obviously he'd be hard pressed to defeat a god on any contested skill roll).

A wish could open the gate if you were at the destination, or transport you to the gate if you knew its location, or transport you to the mansion if you knew the name of the plane, or provide you with the name of the plane. Multiple wishes could be used to provide some combination of the above provided you just knew that some wizard existed and was using MMM.

It sounds like the Gatecrasher PrC could do the trick, and I believe Erevan Ellesare's (the elven deity) sword allows gate crashing implicitly (at least it did in 1st edition). Certain divine abilities might imply the power to open the gate or to at least name the plane, but I don't have the 3rd edition Deities & Demigods.

Last edited:

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
"Fine. You were in the Mansion. Two days ago. For a brief moment. Now you're here."

[grammar check] That would be a logical result of the wish "I wish I was in Tremaine's Mansion."

"I wish I were" is the correct use of the subjunctive, appropriate for the desired result. [/grammar check]

-Hyp.

Particle_Man

Explorer
How to get in

Forget about force.. Try one of the following:

1) Singing Telegram

2) Magic Item salespersons

3) Pathetic looking stray puppy

4) BARREL OF BEER ON THE DOORSTEP!

rendarkin

First Post
Dispelling a Mag Mansion

I think dispelling it would work. The Mansion spell says:

The character conjures up an extradimensional dwelling that has a single entrance on the plane from which the spell was cast. The entry point looks like a faint shimmering in the air that is 4 feet wide and 8 feet high. ... the portal is shut and made invisible behind the character when the character enters. The character may open it again from the character's own side at will.

That seems clear that the entry point is always there, just invisible. You'd need a detect (or true seeing) to spot the shimmering area. (or you can randomly dispel the area).

Magnificent Mansion seems to be a more powerful (and more poorly described) version of Rope Trick. Rope Trick is well explained and seems a primer on extradimensional spaces. It says:

"Anything inside the extradimensional space drops out when the spell ends."

Here's the quote from Dispel Magic

A dispelled spell ends as if its duration had expired.

So it seems pretty clear that there's always the gate lingering around and that its likely that it would respond to being dispelled like rope trick. Another way to look at dispelling it is this. The effect of a Magnificent Mansion is:

"Effect: Extradimensional mansion, up to three 10-ft. cubes/level (S)".

And dispel magic says:

If the spellcaster targets an object or creature who is the effect of an ongoing spell, she makes a dispel check to end the spell that conjured the object or creature.

Which also strongly suggests that the the effect of the spell (the mansion) is ended.

To make a long story short (too late), yeah, I think it's dispellable.

-Rendarkin

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Re: How to get in

Particle_Man said:
Forget about force.. Try one of the following:

1) Singing Telegram

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

"Who is it?"

"Landshark!"

"Who?"