How to get into a Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
MerakSpielman said:

"Fine. You were in the Mansion. Two days ago. For a brief moment. Now you're here."

Variant... (grammar notwithstanding)

"I wish I were in Tremaine's Mansion, right at this moment"

*bamf*

"Huh? I haven't moved!"

"Well, you were in Tremaine's Mansion, right at that moment, but now you're back here. It happened too fast for you to see it."

:D

BTW Hyp, cool smurf.

Andargor

rendarkin

First Post
Gating in and naming

Gate seems like it should get you inside a Mord's Mansion.

The gate spell says that it creates an opening "between your plane of exitence and the plane desired". Later it says in the gate's Planar Travel section that "the gate open precisely at the point your desire". There is *one* line about it appearing "into the plane you named" and that's the only mention of naming (other than calling in a creature). That seems pretty clearly to be flavor text; I believe the intent of the spell is to let you open up a plane to any known location (much like scrying), rather than to call out a verbal, naming description "I open a gate to Intrope's Mord's Mansion that he created in the Piratecat mountains five hours ago!".

Plane Shift is a tougher call. I guess if I'd personally allow, say, a limited wish (300 xp to cast!) to create the proper planar key focus and then allow plane shift to work. I'd say, again, the intent of being off a number of miles is assuming the plane is much larger than that; the spell description says that you can't get pinpoint accuracy. So I'd allow a plane shift in, but they'd appear in a random room!

I scanned through my copy of Manual of the Planes. I had totally forgotten that in all the planar goodness that they squeezed between those covers they gave us NOTHING about bags of holding, Mord's mansions, or other extradimensional things. I was hoping for a small section to address just these kinds of issues. Oh well. Can't have everything, right?

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
As others have mentioned, I allow a targeted dispel on the 'door', provided it has been detected (via Detect Magic, See Invisible, True Seeing, etc).

Round 1. Haste, Wall of Fire (15' circle, hot side in). A friendly cleric's 15' Blade Barrier would also be nice.
Round 2. Targeted Dispel on Mord's Door, Wall of Force (15' Hemisphere)

dragonorb13

First Post
On the topic of it being dispelled, disjuncted, or what ever have you, I propose this line of logic: it says that the caster can seal the gate, which implies that the gate itself is separate from the mansion on the inside. Dispelling effect should, by logic, destroy the portal, but being separate from the mansion ("outside conditions do not affect the mansion"), the mansion should not be affected. However, being that the portal is now sealed, those inside should be trapped.

My take on it:

1) Targeted dispel on the door. Success dispels the mansion and dumps everyone back where the door was.

2) Gate would work except for that ruler of the plane clause. The caster of the spell can keep the gate from opening.

3) Plane shift has a big problem with obtaining the tuning fork but would otherwise work--the wider area doesn't matter as the extent of the plane is limited, you have to appear somewhere in the mansion.

4) Disjunction on the door. It works, period.

Marshall Gatten

First Post
Two spells: First, plane shift to the plane containing the mansion. THEN use Greater Teleport. Just because you can't teleport interdimensionally doesn't mean you can't teleport within other dimensions.

MarkB

Legend
This is a 10 year old conversation...
My 2 cents, I'd booby trap just outside the door and wait for the spell to wear off.

Indeed. You know where they're going to be, and that they must be there within a specific timeframe. Why go to them when they must perforce come to you?

It's worth mentioning that, unlike Rope Trick, the mansion's description doesn't say anything about being able to see out from it once the portal is closed, so its occupants are blind to any preparations made outside it unless they use Scrying.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
On the topic of it being dispelled, disjuncted, or what ever have you, I propose this line of logic: it says that the caster can seal the gate, which implies that the gate itself is separate from the mansion on the inside.

It is all one spell. The effect of the spell just happens to touch the material plane in only one place. Arguably, it only touches the material plane when the portal is open. Either way, you can't dispel or disjoin part of a spell - it is all or nothing.

Two spells: First, plane shift to the plane containing the mansion.

As others have noted: First, figure out what plane that is. Second, find the special tuning fork for that plane that allows you to use Plane Shift.

Remove ads