D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Yes, but assuming your cleric is going to be a light cleric seems kind of odd for a semi-generic build guide. Not that it's not nice to see another selection at third level, but I don't follow the logic.

Edit: Corrected quote.

I was merely noting that a core book domain did so. The wording "special domain" threw me off.

You are correct that one shouldn't assume that the cleric will pick that domain, or heck, that there will be a cleric in the party.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I have never used an enchanted wizard before, but it seems to me you can summon the demon, control it as usual, and if you lost control then get next to it and an enemy and if it attacks you use your 6th level ability to redirect the attack.

momosh666

First Post
I would say since his main melee attack is the Gaze from being an enchanter, Fire Shield would keep the others off. Since Polymorph is your main 4th level spell anyway, its more of an emergency button I suppose. I would have went with Banishment, Summon Demon or Watery Sphere. I have always been a fan of Watery Sphere, it can split team enemy up and you get to attack those in the sphere with advantage. You can also use it as a blocker in some cases.

I feel inspired today what about:
round 1) cast invisibility & stealth check & move into reach of gaze
round 2) use gaze (verbal) & 2nd stealth check & move but stay within range of gaze

Is this stretching things? How should one interpret the comma below (or / and?)
However, the effect ends if you move more than 2 metres away from the creature, if the creature can neither see nor hear you, or if the creature takes damage.

smbakeresq

Explorer
I feel inspired today what about:
round 1) cast invisibility & stealth check & move into reach of gaze
round 2) use gaze (verbal) & 2nd stealth check & move but stay within range of gaze

Is this stretching things? How should one interpret the comma below (or / and?)
However, the effect ends if you move more than 2 metres away from the creature, if the creature can neither see nor hear you, or if the creature takes damage.

I wouldn't allow a gaze if you are invisible, but some might.

Shadowdweller00

Adventurer
I have never used an enchanted wizard before, but it seems to me you can summon the demon, control it as usual, and if you lost control then get next to it and an enemy and if it attacks you use your 6th level ability to redirect the attack.
IF it fails the save. Playing an enchanter wizard right now. I want to like the redirect ability - and I HAVE used it a few times - but it has ended up being SOOOO much less reliable than shield in our campaign. Kind of requires one to be in close quarters, affects only a single attack, and ends up targeting what is all too frequently a pretty strong save. Might as well just summon the demon on the opposite side of the enemy so that it's more convenient for it to attack them than your allies.

smbakeresq

Explorer
With the summon greater demons spell is there any need for Conjure elemental chain to be taken? Should they just be changed to 1 action? I get they have a lower risk factor but not enough to offset the creatures that you get.

Why can’t we get decent stuff for the conjurer?

jgsugden

Legend
The enchanter redirect ability needs to be used agressively and strategically. It isn't really defensive - it is offensive. You need to stick your neck out and put yourself where it will be best used. My enchanter makes use of it by placing himself in harm's way and making the big bad kill one of his allies. It backfires and I take a huge hit sometimes... but I rarely get hit, so I can afford it. Wy take the risk? Because it can be a huge boon - effectively two actions in exchange for one reaction - you negate a hit against your team and deal damage to a foe.

The enchanter is the wizard that has an insane amount of magic. He has a near unlimited hypnotic gaze, and a way to use his reaction often - at some risk - if crafty. When he hits level 10 and can split those dominates, holds, and eventually power words.... and don't forget the dance. While Treantmonk does not like the spell, it is not so bad to be able to neuter two enemies - no save - and they have to use an action to try to end the effect. I used up a scroll of this spell before I had time to add it to my book and I regret it... It ended a combat witha Purple worm before it began.

BlivetWidget

Explorer
@treantmonk, quick sanity check: I think the part 2 guide in your first post currently points to the doc you stopped updating. Might want to redirect it to the living doc.

mikal768

Explorer
Haven’t seen a thread for the cleric guide yet, but wanted to note that for your heroes feat spell you can’t do it every day without having a lot of disposable income due to it costing 1,000 gp per casting as it’s consumed.

Remove ads