D&D 5E Attunement

Wik

First Post
Sure, making your own is a great idea. I want to do the same, once I have time. My own thoughts would be to weight the table towards "bad" results. "Spell rebounds, spell targets caster, spell does opposite effect, spell gates in a monster, spell teleports caster to the void, spell turns caster into Shia LeBoeuf", things like that, yknow?

And of course, there should be a result for the scroll just catching fire, burning the caster's fingers. Because seriously.

DaveDash

Explorer
The fix for that is potion miscibility. My players love that it's there, even though they haven't seen the table. And, just to encourage honesty, I've told the players that I have "my own table" (I don't). Seriously, that table is amazing - it makes PCs nervous every time they down a potion.

I think I'll definitely look at this for my next game, only if they start stacking potions.

I'm ok with one without requiring concentration, nor without bad things happening. As soon as they start stacking them though, that table will come in handy. ;)

Wik

First Post
In a first edition game I played earlier this year, my 7th level fighter was under the influence of a potion of heroism, and then drank a healing potion. It was only the second time in the GM's twenty odd years of running 1e that he had to roll on the table. Nothing major happened (I don't even remember the effect), but it was kind of suspenseful when I had to roll that d100 and he flipped through the DMG to find the table.

The neat thing is, if you're under the effects of a potion with duration... don't drink a healing potion, because you could die. And that's kind of cool. I'm anxious to see how my players handle this... right now they just have a potion of fire breath, a few healing potions, and a potion of climbing. It'll be neat to see what happens.

clearstream

(He, Him)
Most of them are not that powerful of items,...
If that is true, then they shouldn't need attuning. Or do you mean you are giving out DMG items that do need attuning but that you think of as not being very powerful?

If the latter case, the power level of your campaign is likely greater than envisioned. The fix would be to lift the limit on allowable attuned items as others have suggested, to match the power level of your campaign. A strategy for trialing rules is to add them to an item e.g. an item that requires attunement but lets the bearer attune two further items. If it proves to be a problem you can easily remove it. Or if it works, you can at some point pull it into your world physics. PMing's suggestion of item sets attuning as a single item could be used the same way; although putting items too often into sets might come to feel contrived.

If the former case, then it resolves itself. Minor items don't need attuning.

Last edited:

Unwise

Adventurer
My issue with attunement is that PCs often have some character defining items that eventually become pretty sub-optimal when better ones come along. My items tend to be at least empathetic if not intelligent and almost all of them change the user in some way.

For instance, I gave one PC a set of glasses that give advantage on Insight rolls to tell things about people and can be used to magically identify the best quality of a person. (They are literally rose tinted glasses) e.g. "Count Von Strahd is Passionate and Romantic; This tyrant really loves animals and is a vegetarian; This merchant is honest to a fault". The downside, if you can call it that, is that if attuned, you always see the best in people, making you pretty naive. After getting the item, the PC now more closely resembles Kaylee from Firefly, she is just always upbeat and looks for the best in everybody (and thanks to the glasses, sees it).

We are now at high level and such an item is no longer 'worthy' of an attunement slot, it is competing with boots of flight, vorpal blades and wands of awesomeness. I don't want to discourage people from keeping items for RP reasons. I don't want to stop them getting new items, onces they have had for 8 levels are no longer very exciting. So I am considering that any item that has changed your character is permanently attuned and does not take up a slot. I am not sure though.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
If that is true, then they shouldn't need attuning. Or do you mean you are giving out DMG items that do need attuning but that you think of as not being very powerful?

If the latter case, the power level of your campaign is likely greater than envisioned. The fix would be to lift the limit on allowable attuned items as others have suggested, to match the power level of your campaign. A strategy for trialing rules is to add them to an item e.g. an item that requires attunement but lets the bearer attune two further items. If it proves to be a problem you can easily remove it. Or if it works, you can at some point pull it into your world physics.

If the former case, then it resolves itself. Minor items don't need attuning.

Maybe you haven't carefully read the DMG.

It's not that tough to find items in the DMG that require attunement that are not really that powerful. In our group, we have:

Headband of Intellect (uncommon) which gave the Ranger / Wizard +1 to hit with a few spells, at level 6 when he made level 4 wizard, he bumped his Int to 18 so that he could give the headband to the Rogue and use 3 other attuned items (he has the most in the group). Considering that the vast majority of +1 items in the group do not even require attunement (like +1 weapons), this is not a powerful item. It will become more powerful to the Rogue since it boosts his Int more, but it only has one spell that it affects.

Brooch of Shielding (uncommon). This has yet to affect the campaign at all.

Sword of Vengeance (uncommon), this is actually a cursed item.

Sword of Life Stealing (rare), the Cleric has yet to actually roll a 20 with it after most of a level. Since it is not a +1 weapon, it did not give +1 to hit and +1 damage. So although this is a rare item that requires attunement, I do not consider it powerful (considering that its power has never ever come into play, ever).

Bracers of Defense (rare). Our version is the +3 one from the Hoard of the Dragon Queen supplement, but they do not stack with anything except Dex (as written in HotDQ, the item was too powerful for some classes like Monks, Barbarians, Sorcerers, and Wizards).

I took over as DM at level 5 (and the PCs recently just got to level 6), but we also had a few previous DM crafted items (before the DMG came out):

Boots of Leaping and Landing (uncommon) similar to Boots of Striding and Springing. They were used to leap once and land once.

An elemental Ring that can be used for 3 encounters per day that turns certain types of damage resistance into damage vulnerability for ammunition weapons. It has been applicable twice in the campaign so far and has been around for 5 levels.

So yeah, I think that there are quite a few attunement items in the DMG (and also in our game from the previous DM) that probably shouldn't be attunement items. As a DM, I could go through whichever ones I hand out and say "this does not require attunement" even though the DMG says that it does, but that's too much effort both in trying to determine the utility of every attunement item, and in keeping notes on which ones I modified and which ones I did not.

The game designers thought that a +1 through +3 weapons should not require attunement, but these are items that increase damage 60+% of the time and to a considerable amount in that 5% to 15% chance where the weapon would not have hit, and also against monsters with non-magic weapon type resistances. Personally, I think that +1 to +3 weapons, although rather boring, are very powerful items because they improve the power of the PC most of the time. The two weapon fighter can use two +3 weapons and be very powerful because of it, and still have 3 other attuned items. Other class concepts do not necessarily have this advantage.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord

It's not that tough to find items in the DMG that require attunement that are not really that powerful. In our group, we have:

Headband of Intellect (uncommon) which gave the Ranger / Wizard +1 to hit with a few spells, at level 6 when he made level 4 wizard, he bumped his Int to 18 so that he could give the headband to the Rogue and use 3 other attuned items (he has the most in the group). Considering that the vast majority of +1 items in the group do not even require attunement (like +1 weapons), this is not a powerful item. It will become more powerful to the Rogue since it boosts his Int more, but it only has one spell that it affects.

Brooch of Shielding (uncommon). This has yet to affect the campaign at all.

Sword of Vengeance (uncommon), this is actually a cursed item.

Sword of Life Stealing (rare), the Cleric has yet to actually roll a 20 with it after most of a level. Since it is not a +1 weapon, it did not give +1 to hit and +1 damage. So although this is a rare item that requires attunement, I do not consider it powerful (considering that its power has never ever come into play, ever).

Bracers of Defense (rare). Our version is the +3 one from the Hoard of the Dragon Queen supplement, but they do not stack with anything except Dex (as written in HotDQ, the item was too powerful for some classes like Monks, Barbarians, Sorcerers, and Wizards).

I took over as DM at level 5 (and the PCs recently just got to level 6), but we also had a few previous DM crafted items (before the DMG came out):

Boots of Leaping and Landing (uncommon) similar to Boots of Striding and Springing. They were used to leap once and land once.

An elemental Ring that can be used for 3 encounters per day that turns certain types of damage resistance into damage vulnerability for ammunition weapons. It has been applicable twice in the campaign so far and has been around for 5 levels.

So yeah, I think that there are quite a few attunement items in the DMG (and also in our game from the previous DM) that probably shouldn't be attunement items. As a DM, I could go through whichever ones I hand out and say "this does not require attunement" even though the DMG says that it does, but that's too much effort both in trying to determine the utility of every attunement item, and in keeping notes on which ones I modified and which ones I did not.

The game designers thought that a +1 through +3 weapons should not require attunement, but these are items that increase damage 60+% of the time and to a considerable amount in that 5% to 15% chance where the weapon would not have hit, and also against monsters with non-magic weapon type resistances. Personally, I think that +1 to +3 weapons, although rather boring, are very powerful items because they improve the power of the PC most of the time. The two weapon fighter can use two +3 weapons and be very powerful because of it, and still have 3 other attuned items. Other class concepts do not necessarily have this advantage.

True. A +3 Sword or armor is an amazing item, yet no attunement. That is strange. I don't know why Bracers of Defense for casters and non-armor users like monks requires attunement. It doesn't make much sense. It feels like a huge screw over casters and monks move. Do monks even have a magic item to boost their unarmed attacks or did this edition screw them on that as well?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

<snip>

From the sounds of things, your party isn't actually using the items that are being given out. That further suggests that there really is no problem with the attunement rules. The players aren't chafing against a limit at all.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
That's a point. Since the items aren't in use what's wrong with ditching them when something new comes along?

It's not that the items are not in use. It's that the frequency of utility is low.

Take for example the Sword of Life Stealing. If the player rolls a 20 on the dice, it's a very nice item with awesome utility. If the player does not (which has not occurred in our game in about 10 encounters), then the item has zero utility. There are quite a few such attunement items in the DMG. The Cleric is using the sword for probably 2 rounds out of 3 (and casting a spell every 3rd round). She's just less lucky than other players. I suspect that once the sword actually works a few times, the player of the Cleric will want to keep it.

Or how about a Mantle of Spell Resistance? I do not know of many players who would not want this item, even if the DM rarely throws NPC spell casters at the group. Just having such an item is awesome. The frequency of utility might just not be there though, but when the item is needed, it's cool to have it. :cool:

Remove ads