D&D 5E [5e] Witcher: Mother of Monsters

Shayuri

First Post
I also seem to remember a drowner had actually burst into the room with Talashia and Elora and was threatening Talashia in melee?

Axel

First Post
My luck has deserted me! I cannot roll double digit numbers to save a PCs life... :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Questions!!

I do not believe that Elora has cast any spells up until this point in the game, though that three month time we lost is a little fuzzy. I don't think she's "revealed" yet that she's a source. Obviously she's just cast in front of Tal and she'll deal with that in a few moments however that works out. She *did* set off the blood moon -whoopsie- but I don't think there were any spells. Unless someone recalls something?

Obviously someone could have had their own way of knowing and figuring it out and she hasn't like, hid it magically or anything like that. She just hasn't announced it. Maybe it's just obvious by her natural pink glow. I don't know. lol

Are there clerics in Witcher? Like, people who can cure without being Sources? Or, if you are healing someone with magic, you are a source of magic and that is that. You know what I mean?

Quickleaf

Legend
Questions!!

I do not believe that Elora has cast any spells up until this point in the game, though that three month time we lost is a little fuzzy. I don't think she's "revealed" yet that she's a source. Obviously she's just cast in front of Tal and she'll deal with that in a few moments however that works out. She *did* set off the blood moon -whoopsie- but I don't think there were any spells. Unless someone recalls something?

Obviously someone could have had their own way of knowing and figuring it out and she hasn't like, hid it magically or anything like that. She just hasn't announced it. Maybe it's just obvious by her natural pink glow. I don't know. lol

Are there clerics in Witcher? Like, people who can cure without being Sources? Or, if you are healing someone with magic, you are a source of magic and that is that. You know what I mean?

Answers! Hopefully. :)

Yes, I believe this is the first time Elora has cast spells in front of others.

A pink glow is good. The vampires will like her better.

Yes, there are clerics in the Witcher setting and they say their spells come from gods. Wizards, of course, tend to scoff at the notion because clerics use recognizable spell components, so a cynical wizard would just consider a cleric or druid to be casting from a very exclusive cultish tradition.

The "who is a Source?" question is a bit muddier. In the setting, anyone can learn a little bit of magic (e.g. witchers & hedge mages & pellars & girls who learn a minor spell from grandmother); this could be represented by any number of things in D&D like the Magic Initiate feat, witcher signs, the Arcane Trickster / Eldritch Knight subclasses, or even just evocative descriptions of using herbalist's kit / alchemist's supplies. However, to be capable of casting truly mighty spells you need to be born a Source, someone with innate magical talent. Most of these Sources are either killed off or found young and secreted to places to be trained as clerics/druids/wizards/etc. However, those who are not killed off or trained use the Source class, struggling to govern their awesome abilities on their own.

Shayuri

First Post
Do Sources have any innate ability to recognize one another? I seem to recall they radiate magic as a class ability...but I don't think Talashia has Detect Magic...

Also, I think that we had some idea Elora was a Source already, even though she hadn't cast spells yet, didn't we?

Quickleaf

Legend
Do Sources have any innate ability to recognize one another? I seem to recall they radiate magic as a class ability...but I don't think Talashia has Detect Magic...

Also, I think that we had some idea Elora was a Source already, even though she hadn't cast spells yet, didn't we?

I gave the class detect magic at-will, because that's something sorceresses always do in the books/games. "Ah, there's old magic here...elven magic from before the Conjunction." That sort of thing.

I don't know whether Sources would recognize one another. My hunch would be yes, maybe that's how you two were playing it before? Up to you!

Shayuri

First Post
Ah yes, I read back and looked. Sources radiate magic and can detect magic. So while they might not -automatically- sense one another, it would only be an act of will for one to sense the magic in another.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
I need to go back and re read what I previously wrote too. I didn't think Elora outwardly admitted it yet, at least, I hadn't intended on it. But she had been speaking with Odvara and relating to her story, though again, not admitting outright about being a Source. Like QL mentioned, we probably would just know that about each other even if we hadn't *admitted* we know that about each other. Does that make sense?

Elora definitely doesn't want that other Witcher to know :p

Remove ads