D&D 5E [OOC] A Light Hearted Princes of Elemental Evil Hack and Slash

Forged Fury

First Post
Thanks. I've never played a Warlock before, but Spells Known is pretty standard across the board (their spell slots are where the weirdness sets in). I think I just passed it up when I was leveling the character in the build process.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hi [MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION],

I need your take on my warlock's Awaken mind ability. Does the target hear "a voice" in their heads, or do they automatically know it is Thaliss'? If it's "a voice" it would open up the rather nice possibility of shenanigans (i.e. duping slower minded targets).
Also, I assume that the target can answer, right (i.e. Thaliss and the target can have a conversation)?

A w a k e n e d M i n d
Starting at 1st level, your alien knowledge gives you
the ability to touch the minds o f other creatures. You
can communicate telepathically with any creature you
can see within 30 feet o f you. You don’t need to share
a language with the creature for it to understand your
telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to
understand at least one language

Thanks and cheers,

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
Interesting question. I'm going to assume the easiest to interpret solution, so it's "a voice" or a collection of thoughts with a pattern like a voice, and can be easily identified if you are familiar with whomever is telepathically communicating at you.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Interesting question. I'm going to assume the easiest to interpret solution, so it's "a voice" or a collection of thoughts with a pattern like a voice, and can be easily identified if you are familiar with whomever is telepathically communicating at you.

Great thanks! So if Thaliss telepathically addresses a stranger, said stranger wouldn't know exactly whom the voice belonged to, right? Also, could Thaliss try to change his "voice" so the recipient wouldn't know it was him? Lastly, and importantly, can the target answer (i.e. can it be a 2 way communication)?
I'd rather know the extent of this ability know, so I can use (and abuse) it properly ;-)
Thanks and cheers,

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
Great thanks! So if Thaliss telepathically addresses a stranger, said stranger wouldn't know exactly whom the voice belonged to, right? Also, could Thaliss try to change his "voice" so the recipient wouldn't know it was him? Lastly, and importantly, can the target answer (i.e. can it be a 2 way communication)?
I'd rather know the extent of this ability know, so I can use (and abuse) it properly ;-)
Thanks and cheers,

SG

Regarding the first question, insight vs deception.

You can disguise the voice using deception.

The target has to answer within its means, if it is not telepathic itself it can only communicate via other mediums.

I'm open to discussion on this, I'm just trying to go with where my intuition would think things would be.

Forged Fury

First Post
That seems to be the most popular interpretation, from what I have read on various forums/boards. I guess you could pull off a version of the two-way communication by casting Detect Thoughts prior to contact.

Forged Fury

First Post
<click> I guess this: "Tall, balding, some kind of rash all up and down his neck" could be pretty close to "His appearance is rather unique, he is a tall balding water Genasi with his right shoulder and neck covered in barnacles."

Alright, interesting...

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
[MENTION=95059]Forged Fury[/MENTION], I'm really enjoying the flavor of your character! I'd give you my inspiration, but I don't know if you can have 2x inpiration! ;-)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases