Windows 10 - Convince me.

I am not a computers guy at all, and I have had no issue with upgrading three computers. I did so because I hated windows 8 tiles as my default screen, and windows 7 was not useable on my printer. It has been aok for me...

just having apps running in different desktop and just switching between them, it is a better way of organizing and use of resources.
I'm sorry, I have to laugh at this, that was the original concept of windows...
I remember when I first joined the Army, my job was rather specific in what I had to do and when I had to do it, so on one position I had four windows up at all times monitoring mission, allocation stabilization, system integrity and inter site communication - simultaneously.
The more things change, I guess.
But, that being said, thank you for the clarification, and you're right, they have finally started how to better manage multi-tasking

I would not recommend upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at this time. I did it, and I had some issues. I could fix the, but I am a software developer, I know how to solve computer problems. A colleague of mine also had problems.
This does not apply if you want to do a complete reinstall anyway. Just upgrading from Windows 7 seems a bit wonky still.

That doesn't mean I would not recommend changing to Windows 10 at at some point.
If you play games, it has Direct X12, and that will become very interesting in the future, as it promises lots of performance improvements. And any graphics card that already has Direct X 11 support will be able to benefit from that. But it's still some time until this will be really noticeable. And if you're not into computer games, this is irrelevant for you.

So, 3 possible upgrade times:
1) Shortly Before the "free upgrade" offer runs out.
2) When the first game you're interested in is released that utilizes DirectX12
3) When Windows 7 support runs out, like it has for Windows XP.

Games, apps. My wife is a PC gamer. There are games coming out that are Win10 only that she wants to play. It's a factor for her.

And I am an IT professional, so my risk is minimal (nor am I going to call anybody for support).

Except your best online friend, Mr. Google, of course.

Janx

Hero
Ultimately, nobody can make you upgrade. If you don't upgrade, your PC will work just fine as it has.

If you do upgrade, you might have some devices that don't support Windows10. Or you might not have a problem. That's checkable and you should use know what you have and if it is supported before you throw the lever.

Personally, I find it useful to be fluent in the current stuff. Insisting on staying on the old stuff, out of fear, habit, stubbornness is generally a bad thing in my book.

For perspective, a few says ago was the 20th anniversary of Windows95. I was in college and bought the upgrade that week. By that weekend, I had made my money back helping other folks with their upgrade.

It was worlds better than the prior Windows, and it was absolutely where everybody's PC was moving to in a rapid pace. Having familiarity with it was valuable for a lot of reasons.

Mallus

Legend
My office is currently doing a (long-overdue) hardware upgrade. We're going with Windows 7 Pro on the new PCs and will probably upgrade to Windows 10 in 6 to 9 months, or right before whenever the upgrade offer runs out.

Ryujin

Legend
Ultimately, nobody can make you upgrade. If you don't upgrade, your PC will work just fine as it has.

If you do upgrade, you might have some devices that don't support Windows10. Or you might not have a problem. That's checkable and you should use know what you have and if it is supported before you throw the lever.

Personally, I find it useful to be fluent in the current stuff. Insisting on staying on the old stuff, out of fear, habit, stubbornness is generally a bad thing in my book.

For perspective, a few says ago was the 20th anniversary of Windows95. I was in college and bought the upgrade that week. By that weekend, I had made my money back helping other folks with their upgrade.

It was worlds better than the prior Windows, and it was absolutely where everybody's PC was moving to in a rapid pace. Having familiarity with it was valuable for a lot of reasons.

Ah, Win95. I think that the little company that I worked for, at the time, was the only one to actually meet the release date for builders. What fun when the President of your company thinks that it would be a great idea to buy a whole lot of sound cards, that didn't support Win95, and then say to you, "OK, you make them work."

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, regarding Microsoft's operating systems at least, it seems more prudent to skip every other version. You really don't have to follow every trend if it's kind of obvious it will be a dud. Windows 95, Windows ME, Windows Vista, Windows 8 - all of these versions were half-baked affairs that either went too far in the wrong directions or not far enough.

Windows 10 is kinda different because it's supposed to be the last version of Windows we'll ever see - Well, we'll see ;) Personally, I'm 100% sure, there'll be a new version eventually. It's just a question of how many years it will take. The problem is that 'living' software doesn't age well: Adding more and more features to a software, changing and fixing code in several iterations will inevitably lead to clunky code that is hard to comprehend and maintain until you reach a point where it's simply better to start from scratch.

Waiting before you upgrade still makes sense because Windows 10 is basically incomplete: While you can already work with it, it's still lacking many of the features that were promised.
Another issue is incompatibility with hardware you may currently use. Imho, it's always best to start using a new OS when you also get a new PC.

Ideally, you have access to several PCs, so you can give Windows 10 a try while keeping a stable, well-known OS version on your main PC.

Remove ads