D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Pirates of the Spheres: Captain's Privilege (Recruiting)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Alright, here's the draft version for my dwarven warlock. Feel free to give constructive feedback. :)

[sblock=Belogg, dwarf warlock]
Name: Belogg
Sex: Male
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class/Level: Warlock 3
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Size: Medium
Type: Humanoid
Speed: 25 ft.
Init: +2
Senses: Darkvision 60 ft.; Devil's Sight (see in darkness, magical or otherwise, 120 ft.)
Languages: Common, Dwarvish
Passive Perception: 11

DEFENSE
AC:
HP max: 24 (3d8+6)
HP current: 24
Saves: WIS, CHA
Special: Dwarven Resilience

OFFENSE
Melee:
Battleaxe +4; 1d8+2 Slashing, Versatile (1d10)
Melee: Mace +4; 1d6 Bludgeoning
Ranged: Light crossbow +4; 1d8 Piercing, Range 80/320, Loading, Twohanded
Ranged: Eldritch Blast +5; 1d10 Force, Range 120

STATISTICS
Str
14 (+2), Dex 14 (+2) , Con 14 (+2), Int 11 (+0), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 15 (+2)

RACIAL FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Darkvision:
60 ft.
Dwarven Resilience: Advantage on saving throws against poison, resistance against poison damage.
Stonecunning: Whenever Belogg makes an Intelligence (History) check related to the origin of stonework, he is considered proficient in the History skill and adds double his proficiency bonus to the check, instead of his normal proficiency bonus.
Proficiencies: Light Armor, Medium Armor
Weapon Proficiencies: Battleaxe, Handaxe, Throwing Hammer, Warhammer
Tool Proficiencies: Smith’s tools

BACKGROUND FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Background:
Space Sailor (custom background; helmsman)
Feature: Ship's Passage (can get free passage on a ship for himself and his party, in return for assistance on board)
Proficiencies: Arcana, Perception, Navigator's Tools, Vehicles (spelljamming)

Traits: I often get lost in my own thoughts, becoming oblivious to my surroundings.
Ideal: Sailing between worlds means freedom -- the freedom to go anywhere and do anything.
Bond: I'm loyal to my captain and crew; they and my familiar are the only family I have.
Flaw: I follow my captain's orders, even if I think they are wrong. Also, my encounter with a creature of the Far Realms is slowly driving me insane.

CLASS FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Proficiency Bonus:
+2
Proficiencies: Light armor, Simple weapons; Deception, History; WIS, CHA
Otherworldly Patron: Great Old One (expanded spell list; Awakened Mind [communicate telepathically within 30 feet])
Pact Magic: Can cast spells; regain spell slots after short/long rest. Save DC 13*, spell attack +5* (*Rod of the Pact Keeper +1)
Cantrips Known (2): Eldritch Blast, Prestidigitation
Spells Known (4): Hellish Rebuke, Phantasmal Force, Crown Of Madness, Darkness; Find Familiar (Pact Of The Chain bonus spell; can cast as ritual)
Spell Slots (2): 2nd level
Eldritch Invocations: Devil's Sight (see normally in darkness, magical or otherwise, 120 feet), Voice Of The Chain Master (when on the same plane, communicate telepathically with familiar, perceive through familiar's senses, talk through familiar)
Pact Boon: Pact Of The Chain (pseudodragon)

SKILLS (Proficient in bold)
+2 (dex) Acrobatics
-1 (wis) Animal Handling
+2 (int) Arcana
+2 (str) Athletics
+4 (cha) Deception
+2 (int) History
-1 (wis) Insight
+2 (cha) Intimidation
+0 (int) Investigation
-1 (wis) Medicine
+0 (int) Nature
+1 (wis) Perception
+2 (cha) Performance
+2 (cha) Persuasion
+0 (int) Religion
+2 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+2 (dex) Stealth (disadvantage when wearing half-plate)
-1 (wis) Survival

COMBAT GEAR
Half-plate (medium armor)
Battleaxe x2
Mace
Light crossbow
Crossbow bolts x20

OTHER GEAR
Rod of the Pact Keeper +1 (spell attack +1, spell DC +1, regain spell slot 1/long rest)
Arcane focus (rod)
Travelers clothes
Navigator's tools
Smith's tools
Backpack:
- Hunk of cheese
- Gallon of ale
- Mess kit

MONEY
139 gp, 5 sp

PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
A small but muscular dwarf, Belogg sports a long unkempt black beard and a bald head. A black tattoo, depicting two stylized tentacles, runs across the back of his head. When Belogg is unaware he is being watched, his eyes seem completely white; if he then looks at anyone directly, it is as if his eyes were always brown and it was a trick of the mind.
The dwarf dresses simply when he is not in his impressive half-plate armor. A magical rod, made from an unknown pitchblack material, is always in his hand or strapped to his belt. Two axes are always kept within easy reach.
A black pseudodragon with eyes like tiny stars is usually draped across the dwarfs shoulders.

BACKGROUND
Belogg never knew his real father and the only thing he knew about his mother, was that she was a simple dwarven woman who died when Belogg was just a babe. His adopted father, a human smuggler called Ian, raised him aboard a starship and taught the boy the basics of sailing between worlds.
One fateful day, the ship found its way to the Beta Quadrant, at the edge of the Far Realms. Gazing at the void at what seemed to be the end of space, Belogg became aware of the void looking back at him, judging him. An ancient voice spoke in his head with visions for words and nightmares for sentences; it declared itself The Sleeper In Darkness and Belogg its prophet and champion.
Belogg awoke, muttering to Chernogg, his twin brother who died when they were born, and discovered himself no longer on the smugglers' ship but on a remote planet on the fringe of the Dragon Empire. Somehow he knew that his crewmates had joined The Sleeper In Darkness, and that he had been given control over alien magic. A small servant, taking the shape of a black pseudodragon, had been sent to instruct Belogg on his newfound abilities.
Eventually the dwarf found his way to a trader's outpost, seeking a way off the planet. When the Empire attacked, Belogg and a handful of others escaped with a stolen ship. Belogg is grateful to his new crewmates and revels in his position as main helmsman, travelling between worlds awaiting instructions from his mysterious patron...

FAMILIAR
Vhoorl, Pseudodragon (tiny dragon)
Statistics: Str 6 (-2), Dex 15 (+2) , Con 13 (+1), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 10 (+0)
Armor Class: 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points: 7 (2d4+2)
Speed: 15 ft, fly 60 ft
Skills: Perception +3, Stealth +4
Senses: Blindsight 10 ft, Darkvision 60 ft, Passive Perception 13
Languages: Common, Draconic (understand only; does not speak)
Special Features: Keen Senses (adv. on Perception based on sight, hearing or smell), Magic Resistance (adv. on saving throws versus spells and magical effects), Limited Telepathy (can communicate simple ideas, emotions, and images with any creature within 100 ft that understands a language)
Melee Attack: Bite +4; 1d4+2 Piercing
Melee Attack: Sting +4; 1d4+2 Piercing plus poisoned (DC 11 CON negates; if result is 6 or lower, also unconscious)
[/sblock]

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
We likes it, yes we does.

All, I'll be starting up the IC thread this weekend unless catastrophe strikes. :) Expect a Rogues Gallery thread to pop up before that.

Leif

Adventurer
Have you already made the decisions about who's going to play? Will you be posting said decisions in this thread?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I'm still here. Time has gotten away from me a bit this week. My apologies. I'm hoping to get everything situated with this game and get started this weekend.

Alizaar

First Post
Is this game still open or have you already decided on who is playing? I would like to try this out I'm new to pbp but not new to the hobby. So I guess just let me know what's up.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I've had a busy couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get this up and running this coming weekend (October 3rd) so if you have a character you want to submit, go for it.

Remember, everyone, we still need a consensus on the ship - type and name primarily.

Leif

Adventurer
I still fully support Steve Gorak's idea:

So, here's a proposal on how we all met and got a ship of our own. About 6 months ago, most of our characters happened to be at a trading/smuggler's outpost, doing our own respective thing. My character was already part of a pirate/smuggler's ship, and could have known some of yours (like your gnome, [MENTION=6787159]Skarsgard[/MENTION]). The outpost was attacked and destroyed by the empire/empire backed forces/another power maneuvering for control of the area (perhaps they were hunting one of the last living relatives of the dragonslayers to get a bounty?). Most ships were destroyed, and many lives were lost. Our characters, a rag-tag group of travelers, managed to flee the outpost, jumping aboard a decrepit albeit functional vessel. The fact it was small was instrumental in avoiding detection then, and still is now. A few weeks after fleeing the outpost, while exploring a very ancient wrecked vessel the group accidentally stumbled upon while trying to hide from Imperial ships (it is likely that the captain of the wrecked ship was also trying to hide), we came about a living construct that had been stuck in orbit around the ship for gods know how long. The thing was weak, but the gnome engineer was able to revive it. We have been traveling together since, and have been involved in a few combats/skirmishes, and a lot of cooperation in navigating the and maintaining the ship.

Or something like this...
The goal for for the group to be close, loyal and tight-knit. What do you think?
Cheers,

SG

SHIP TYPE --- I can't seem to locate that older post twjere we had some different choices, but I'm sure that I stated my preference at that time.

SHIP'S NAME ---

1. "The Brig" (short for Brigantine, but also gives a nod to how imprisoned some of us feel when we're stuck in that tin can between stars) [wikipedia - "The brigantine was the second most popular rig for ships built in the American colonies before 1775[7] (the most popular type of vessel being a sloop). The brigantine was swifter and more easily maneuvered than a sloop or schooner, and was hence employed for purposes of piracy, espionage, and reconnoitering, and as an outlying attendant upon large ships for protecting a ship, or for supply or landing purposes in a fleet."]

2. "Veiled Lady" -- tip of our cap to the tradition of naming ships for women, but also a left-handed warning folks better not mess with us, because they won't like it if we 'unveil' ourselves and open fire.

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I'm a fan of all three ship types Shayuri suggested, and would like to vote for the Shrikeship. (This is the link to possible ships: http://www.spelljammer.org/ships/deckplans/ )

"The Brig" and "Veiled Lady" both sound good to me.

I'm also fine with the shrikeship. It's relatively small, so would be easy to hide. I like the names, with a slight preference for Veiled Lady. Our group could have renamed it after escaping the outpost, and the fact it was small allowed us to remain undetected, hence the veil.
Cheers,

SG

Remove ads