Looks like someone enjoyed her time in jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryujin

Legend
Typical case of a "Christian" applying the Old Testament (fire, brimstone, judgment) to others, but claiming the New Testament (love, forgiveness) for herself. She refuses to permit the marriage of people for whom there are statements against in the old book but, by that book, should be stoned or burnt herself. I rather like this little piece from "The West Wing":

[video=youtube;DVL-gA1KpxQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVL-gA1KpxQ[/video]

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Typical case of a "Christian" applying the Old Testament (fire, brimstone, judgment) to others, but claiming the New Testament (love, forgiveness) for herself.

And, claiming the Freedom of Worship clause to herself, but denying the Establishment Clause to others.

Something that many seem to miss, is that she's not an "employee". She's *part of the government*, and that constrains her rights. This is beyond the question of whether a baker can be forced to make a cake for a gay wedding. If she puts her personal interpretation of God's law into policy in her workplace, she's in pretty direct violation of the Establishment Clause.

George Takei had a piece on this. He's not a lawyer, but much of the reasoning is sound. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/14/how-kim-davis-violated-the-first-amendment.html

Ryujin

Legend
And, claiming the Freedom of Worship clause to herself, but denying the Establishment Clause to others.

Something that many seem to miss, is that she's not an "employee". She's *part of the government*, and that constrains her rights. This is beyond the question of whether a baker can be forced to make a cake for a gay wedding. If she puts her personal interpretation of God's law into policy in her workplace, she's in pretty direct violation of the Establishment Clause.

George Takei had a piece on this. He's not a lawyer, but much of the reasoning is sound. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/14/how-kim-davis-violated-the-first-amendment.html

I read that. Like many, I follow Takei on Facebook. She's in breach of her oath. If she wants to deny people their Constitutional Rights based on her religious belief, then let her become a martyr to her cause.

Janx

Hero
I read that. Like many, I follow Takei on Facebook. She's in breach of her oath. If she wants to deny people their Constitutional Rights based on her religious belief, then let her become a martyr to her cause.

That wouldn't be good.

We have a bunch of religious extremists like her looking to make our country match their vision or religious law.

I'm pretty sure my brand of "kill 'em all" while entertaining in a Bruce Willis film kind of way, will just feed these kind of zealots.

There's got to be a better way of dealing with people with really really bad ideas.

Ryujin

Legend
That wouldn't be good.

We have a bunch of religious extremists like her looking to make our country match their vision or religious law.

I'm pretty sure my brand of "kill 'em all" while entertaining in a Bruce Willis film kind of way, will just feed these kind of zealots.

There's got to be a better way of dealing with people with really really bad ideas.

I should have put the word martyr in quotes because by that I actually meant impeached, prosecuted, and jailed rather than stoned for adultery, or burnt for wearing cloth of mixed type ;)

Ryujin

Legend
Well...yeah, but the phrase is never used by the people who are happy with the verdict, which is why I said what I said.

It also seems to be a social conservative catch-phrase meaning "upholding The Constitution for something in which I do not believe."

Janx

Hero
It also seems to be a social conservative catch-phrase meaning "upholding The Constitution for something in which I do not believe."

Much like "legislating from the bench" being another catch-phrase they use for the same thing.

Or like "cram it down our throats" being used for every law that passed a vote that the opposition didn't like.

These tend to be the same people who threatened to leave the country when Obama got elected or have Texas secede.

One of the many things that rub me wrong is these folks claim to be patriots, yet act like poor sports when their side loses to the process of an election or vote, which is the very mechanism that they should be patriotic about.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That wouldn't be good.

I don't know if anyone noticed that some of her grassroots supporters are asking that her deputies be put on trial for issuing licenses...

Well...I don't have an answer beyond "keep talking to them", plus the classic admonishment:
He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee.

~ Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads