Ursa (Homebrew Race)

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Bit thin on the fluff, for which I apologize. Ursa are meant to be really strong, and wield oversized weapons. However I decided that was too troublesome so I gave them a damage bonus instead.

Strong and proud, the Ursa are a race of bipedal bears.
Size: While unusually big, Ursa are considered Medium.
Ability Scores: +2 Strength, +1 Con
Power Muscles: Weapon damage rolls made by Ursa have a +1 bonus.
Sensitive Nose: Ursa have advantage on perception checks relating to smell.
Natural Home: Ursa are proficient in Nature.
Langauges: Common, Bear

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'd say these are underpowered, but that's good for a home-brew race -- see it in play, and then maybe dial it up later.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I'm torn on this one as to how to up the power without overdoing it. They're getting Darkvision added, that's for aure, but other than that I'm at a loss.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
They are very one-directional. +Str, +Con, +weapon damage. Some classes they fit, and probably better than any other race. Others that do absolutely nothing for. Not always my favorite, I like seeing minotaur warlocks and the like.

That said, if you were to add other powers, you might want to do so along non-weapon-combat directions. Sensitive smell instead of darkvision to help find hidden sort of thing.

As a side note, +1 weapon damage works with any weapon (except monk), so it would apply to bows and stuff. Based on your description of size and mass, I'd rather see it apply to all melee damage rolls, so it's not for bows but would include a Ursa monk. (Remember - you can do strength based martial arts, you just have the option to use dex).

On the other hand, if more damage is already reflected in +Str and you want only to reflect additional for large weapons, how about:
Power Muscles: When wielding a Versatile weapon, an Ursa uses the two handed damage even if only using it one handed. When wielding a Heavy or Versatile melee weapon in two hands, an Ursa gets +1 to weapon damage.

Some alternate powers if you are looking for things to play with:
  • +2 to Strength (Athletics) for where mass will help (anchoring a rope, etc.)
  • Large and In Charge: Count as Large for pushes, trips, grapples and the like
  • Large and Furry: An Ursa can only wear special-made armor which follows barding pricing. However, they have a minimum AC equal to 12 + Con, much like the Barkskin spell. (If their final AC would ever be less than 12 + Con, use 12 + Con instead.)
  • Sensitive Nose: Advantage to Wisdom (Perception) and Int (Investigate) to notice based on strong scent.
  • Good swimmer: Add your proficiency bonus to any Str (Athletics) checks to swim as well any for holding your breath.

Rhineglade

Adventurer
I've used similar creatures in my campaigns in the past. I called them "Ursines." I think another thing I did was some kind of bonus for grappling similar to a "bear hug" like making the DC harder or something to that effect.

Jediking

Explorer
-Giving advantage on Climbing checks could be good.
-No other race get a flat damage bonus. With their +2 to Strength they already get their "power muscles" reflected. Giving them natural weapons with claws that deal 1d4 or 1d6 damage (not finesse) might be a better fit.

Overall it seems pretty balanced. Tr1lobyte made up several subraces for Bearkin, you may get some inspiration from what he has done at: http://imgur.com/a/zoBEI

Remove ads