D&D 5E [GUIDE] The True Hexblade: Shillelagh

First Post
Table of Contents

• i) Introduction
  • ii) The Build
  • iii) Spell selection
  • iv) Leveling Progression

i) Introduction

I've loved Warlocks ever since I first saw them in 5th Edition. But Pact of the Blade always seemed inferior to straight up blasting with Eldritch Blast. This is attempts to rectify that and create a Warlock that can handle itself in melee just as well as it can at range. In exchange, however, you will not: receive the full utility of your Pact Boon (Tome), have access to high level spells (beyond 3rd), and miss out on about 4 Invocations.

But in return, you get killer saving throws, single target burst, strong opportunity attacks, great AC, some healing, and disease immunity (yes, that means no Contagion can touch you). Unfortunately, the build isn't fully realized until 9th level, but if you can wait that long (and measures have been taken so that you don't fall behind in damage), you'll be rewarded.

ii) The Build​

The most difficult problem for me when I want to play a Hex Blade has got to be MAD. You want STR/DEX for attacks, CON to not die in melee, and a spellcasting stat. Eldritch Knight is probably the only class that has access to that many ASI but let's be honest, trying to maintain decent stats in all those areas is difficult.

Thus, we look to the key behind our build: Shillelagh. It turns our spellcasting stat into our attack and damage stat! Great, we can get it using Pact of the Tome and now use CHA not just for Eldritch Blast and spells but also our melee attacks. (Note that we can't use Magic Initiate because that'd force us to use WIS which isn't very synergistic across melee classes (a monk still makes unarmed strikes with DEX/STR so Shillelagh would only half solve their MAD).

There's more though. If we want our wooden stick to keep up with a ray of force, it needs to scale. We can't get the Thirsting Blade Invocation since we didn't take Pact of the Blade. That means we have to multiclass a 5th level martial class for Extra Attack (sorry Rogues, your Sneak Attack doesn't work with a staff). But which martial class to choose? Well one of them has CHA as a secondary stat, adds CHA mod to saving throws at 6th level, has the Dueling Fighting Style, and makes each attack deal 1d8 more damage at 11th. Yup, we're MC-ing Paladin. Here's the kicker: this build arguably works better if your DM makes you an Oathbreaker.

So by the end, each attack should deal 2d8+2+CHA (11+CHA) damage and you can attack twice for 22+2CHA DPR. Eldritch Blast with three rays deals 3d10+3CHA or 16.5+3CHA. Assuming your CHA is about +3 or +4, this is reasonably matched. But let's not stop there. We can get one more attack in with Polearm Mastery (works with staffs!) for 1d4+1d8+2+CHA damage using the bonus action attack (yup, the Dueling Feat applies to this attack as well). Now we actually outdamage Eldritch Blast. Additionally, this doesn't hurt our Action Economy either as it only conflicts with the transfer of Hex (which shouldn't be occurring every turn).

Since we need such a high Paladin level, we won't be seeing much of Warlock if we want to play at a reasonable level (sub 17th). As a result, you probably won't be getting more than the 1st level Warlock Patron feature. Thus, I think Fiend Pact is probably your best bet as having a temp HP buffer in melee will prove very useful. On the other hand, I can also see a case for using GOO Pact to utter mental Commands and Suggestion.

Warlock 3/Paladin 11 - This is the core of our build

iii) Spell Selection

Personally, I prefer spells without concentration so I can keep up Hex with just one spell slot. Remember, you also can also use any spell slot for Divine Smite which deals 1+lvl d8 (and 2+lvl d8 at Paladin 11).

Cantrips (Warlock Tome)

Shillelagh, Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Minor Illusion, Prestidigitation, Sacred Flame, Vicious Mockery, Mending, Light, Guidance, Dancing Lights, etc.

Only the first two are mandatory. The rest is up to you, just note that you might lose concentration on Hex if you choose a cantrip that requires concentration. I like Mage Hand and Prestidigitation for their utility. Minor Illusion is subject to DM fiat sometime (mine just ignores its effects...). Vicious Mockery and Sacred Flame are some nice saving throw based cantrips with bonus effects for when Eldritch Blast is having a hard time breeching AC and the creature has a lower DEX or WIS saves.

1st Level (Warlock + Paladin)

Hex, Charm Person, Command,Bless, Arms of Hadar

I don't want to take up concentration from Hex/Bless so Charm Person and Command are good ways to instigate control without losing concentration. Command also scales! Don't take any Detect spells as you don't have ritual casting from Paladin and Book of Ancient Secrets doesn't let you cast rituals from known spells from other classes. Heroism and Armor of Agathys both clash with your innate temp HP generation.

2nd Level (Warlock + Paladin) Recover 2 slots per short rest

Invisibility, Suggestion, Mirror Image, Hold Person, Misty Step, Darkness

Exception to the concentration rule: encounter breakers. That means Hold Person, Suggestion and arguably Darkness which can turn encounters around, are worth losing concentration on Hex/Bless. Mirror Image is a great defense mechanism that doesn't require concentration and Misty Step is teleportation.

3rd Level (Paladin)

Dispel Magic, Remove Curse, Elemental Weapon, Aura of Vitality

Not many amazing choices. Aura of Vitality conflicts with your bonus action Attack but can be useful for a long drawn out fight (2d6 (7) HP per round is pretty good). Elemental Weapon replaces Hex a little but you need to cast it before Shillelagh and more often than not, I'd prefer Hex. The other two are safety spells for when things go awry. But hey, remember you can still cast Hold Person or Command using these slots. Or Smite.

iv) Leveling Guide

Given the CHA and Feats needed, this build only gets 2 ASI at 14th level with two more by 16th level. We're going to start Variant Human so we can at least get Polearm Mastery, and all our scores in the relevant abilities. Using point buy:

CHA 15+1
CON 12
DEX 13+1
WIS 12
STR 13
INT 8

The main goals in this leveling guide are:

• Don't fall behind at 5th level. This means you should get Warlock2 for Agonizing Blast before then.
  • Take Paladin6 around 8th level. Most classes get something defensive around 6th or 7th level. You're a level late, don't delay it further.
  • Take Shillelagh after Extra Attack. Otherwise stick with Eldritch Blast.

With that said, only levels 1-9 are really core to the build.

1. Paladin1: Get that AC to 18 (shield and chain) and use a staff. Should get you to 2nd level.
  2. Paladin2: Take Dueling, your DPR should be 1d6+3+1d4+3+Smite (12+Smite)
  3. Warlock1 or Paladin3: If you find yourself missing attacks, take Paladin3 (Devotion) as Channel Divinity will give you +3 to hit. Otherwise Warlock1 will get you 1 more Smite per short rest and Hex which boosts your DPR by potentially 3d6 a round (attack, bonus, AoO).
  4. Warlock1 or Warlock2: You get the Warlock1 benefits now or you get Agonizing Blast now
  5. Paladin3 or Warlock2: You get Agonizing Blast now or Channel Divinity. Eldritch Blast (EB) should deal 2d10+6 (17) which out damages your staff (12+Smite) whenever you aren't using Smite. EB also has a higher hit bonus than staff (staff+4 vs EB+6).
  6. Paladin4: +2 CHA. Your offense (spells and attacks) and defense (saving throws) all rely on this score. It's fantastic.
  7. Paladin5: Getting closer to Hex-"blade" time with that Extra Attack. Still cast EB (19) vs staff (18.5+Smite) since your staff has a lower hit bonus (+4 compared to EB's +7)
  8. Paladin6: You could've taken Warlock3 and grabbed Shillelagh now. But this is +4 to all saving throws. I think this is the better choice.
  9. Warlock3: Pact of the Tome -> Shillelagh. Start whacking for 2d8+1d4+12+Smite (23.5+Smite) damage. Your AC may drop to 16 (breastplate + no shield) since you need somatic components to cast Shillelagh. This may vary depending on your DM's ruling of using your Holy Symbol on your shield as a focus for Book of Shadows cantrips. If you really miss your AC though, you can always delay the listed progression to take the War Caster feat.
  10. Paladin7: You either get immunity to charm (Devotion) or CHA mod to your attacks (Oathbreaker)
  11. Paladin8: +2 CHA (read as more damage and +1 to all saves). At this point, Eldritch Blast (31.5) outdamages Shillelagh (26.5+Smite) unless you're an Oathbreaker (41.5+Smite).
  12. Paladin9: 3rd level spell slots
  13. Paladin10: Fear immunity
  14. Paladin11: 1d8 more damage per hit. Shillelagh's back (41+Smite) vs EB (31.5). Oathbreaker (56).

Some options for 15-16:

1. Paladin12: War Caster
  2. Warlock4: Resilient (DEX)

1. Warlock4: Resilient/Warcaster
  2. Warlock5: 3rd level spells and another Invocation

1. Paladin12: Resilient/Warcaster
  2. Paladin13: 4th level spells

Last edited:

bid

First Post
- chain mail is AC18, not 19
- Con 12+1 does not maximize your point value, leave it at 12 and do Dex13+1
- you cannot get AC18 without Str15, but that's ok since the book has to be "on your person" and not in your hand.
- you can only take resilient once

With Dex 13+1, you could pally3 before warlock2 and smite 5 times at level 4, in a single battle. It also allows you to use stealth with AC18 breastplate.

EB only becomes the best at level 5:
- quarterstaff hits at +3, doing 1d6+3+1d4+3+2d8 = 6.5 + 5.5 + 9 (well I guess you can use Polearm Master with dueling and somehow use the butt end with a shield, no?)
- rapier hits at +4, doing 1d8+4+2d8 = 8.5 + 9
- EB hits at +5, doing 1d10+3 = 8.5

After that, the progression is ok.

Last edited:

First Post
Thanks for the feedback! You're right about the AC, I'm going to fix that.

Did not realise that you couldn't choose Resilient multiple times. I think CON might be more important in that case since you're a frontline fighter. Given this, I'll revise the starting Point Buy.

As for the damage though, I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers as Shillelagh cannot be used until Warlock3 and it doesn't give 1d8 bonus damage. It just changes the weapon's damage die to 1d8.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Why not a simple F1, Wk X? You get heavy armor, fighting style and second wind. Warlock is only 1 HP per level on average behind the fighter so it's not bad off and with the fiend pact you get temp HP to cover the gap and then some. At warlock 3 (lvl 4 total) you can get pact of the blade and at level 6 (warlock 5) you can get the second attack.

You don't have to worry too much about your charisma being high since you can focus your spells on non save effects or attack spells, but you'll want to work it up eventually for the lvl 12 bonus to weapon damage.

bid

First Post
As for the damage though, I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers as Shillelagh cannot be used until Warlock3 and it doesn't give 1d8 bonus damage. It just changes the weapon's damage die to 1d8.
Forget shillelagh for a moment and use a rapier or quarterstaff, because of smite they do more damage than EB.

First Post
Why not a simple F1, Wk X? You get heavy armor, fighting style and second wind. Warlock is only 1 HP per level on average behind the fighter so it's not bad off and with the fiend pact you get temp HP to cover the gap and then some. At warlock 3 (lvl 4 total) you can get pact of the blade and at level 6 (warlock 5) you can get the second attack.

You don't have to worry too much about your charisma being high since you can focus your spells on non save effects or attack spells, but you'll want to work it up eventually for the lvl 12 bonus to weapon damage

Because at that point (Fighter1/Warlock12) you only deal 2d8+14+8 (31) damage (Rapier/Longsword) if you maxed STR/DEX (20) and CHA (18). If you started with Point Buy, that requires you to have 15 CHA and 15 DEX/STR which means you'll have pretty low scores for CON/WIS. I do admit if you use a quarter staff (20 STR and 18 CHA), then it's still 2d6+14+8 (29) + 1d4+11 (13.5) for (42.5) damage but I like my saves high.

Additionally, the Warlock spell list isn't huge on buffs/no saving throw spells: Illusory Script, Protection from Evil and Good, Armor of Agathys, Hex, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Spider Climb, Misty Step, Tongues, Fly, Gaseous Form, Dimension Door, Dream. Of which there's not many I'd like.

Last edited:

First Post
Forget shillelagh for a moment and use a rapier or quarterstaff, because of smite they do more damage than EB.

Gotcha, didn't know you were listing smite damage. I tend to ignore anything that requires a resource in damage calculations since you can't maintain it forever and it would dubious to claim that was the normal damage you deal.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Because at that point (Fighter1/Warlock12) you only deal 2d8+14+8 (31) damage (Rapier/Longsword) if you maxed STR/DEX (20) and CHA (18). If you started with Point Buy, that requires you to have 15 CHA and 15 DEX/STR which means you'll have pretty low scores for CON/WIS. I do admit if you use a quarter staff (20 STR and 18 CHA), then it's still 2d6+14+8 (29) + 1d4+11 (13.5) for (42.5) damage but I like my saves high.

Additionally, the Warlock spell list isn't huge on buffs/no saving throw spells: Illusory Script, Protection from Evil and Good, Armor of Agathys, Hex, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Spider Climb, Misty Step, Tongues, Fly, Gaseous Form, Dimension Door, Dream. Of which there's not many I'd like.

So, this is actually more of a min/max (not a bad thing), more damage, type of guide rather than a Hexblade guide? There's no wrong way to play of course. My advice was based on assuming that a hexblade would want to stick more with warlock. It seems that your guide is rather more of a shillelagh paladin than a hexblade.

Armor of Agythys and fire sheild are more than enough to eat up your two spells a rest if you're looking at damage output. Many of the spells you list are very hexblade thematic even though they aren't damage spells.

PimplupXD

First Post
Lol you literally don't need Shillelagh, since Hexblade lets you add Cha to attack + damage.

(P.S. 1 or 3 levels of Warlock with Paladin is extremely good nonetheless due to SAD-ness.)

mikal768

Explorer
Lol you literally don't need Shillelagh, since Hexblade lets you add Cha to attack + damage.

(P.S. 1 or 3 levels of Warlock with Paladin is extremely good nonetheless due to SAD-ness.)

You do realize this build is from 2015, when Hexblade and Hex Warrior didn't exist right...?

Remove ads