• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Beast Master: Beta 0.1

Xeviat

Hero
Hello everyone. I've been wanting to make my own alternative Beast Master since I first cracked open my 5E PHB. Rangers are one of my most favorite classes. Maybe it's because I cut my fantasy reading teeth on "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Legacy". Maybe it's because I enjoyed having stealth and good combat in the "Baldur's Gate" game. Maybe it's because one of the players in the first game I DMed played a Ranger who was outshined by the party Barbarian, and I spent much time house ruling the Ranger to make it more enjoyable for that player and more balanced in the group.

Now, I don't think the Beast Master is underpowered, persay, I just think there's something cludgy about it. So my alternative doesn't seek to reinvent the wheel too much. I still have the ranger giving up an attack to make their companion attack, though I took a card out of the Chain Warlock's playbook and have it cost an attack. I intend for the ranger to be able to make an off-hand attack along with expending their main weapon attack to have their companion attack (this is to better support TWFing within the Ranger, and to not cause a larger than intended power increase at level 5).

Additionally, I am adding a call companion spell, adding symmetry with find familiar and find steed. This spell is added to the druid and range spell list. The spell allows a druid or non-beast master ranger to get a scouting companion and access to beast senses, but the hp of CR 0 forms mean it shouldn't impact on combat too greatly (if it goes out to use the help action, it is probably dead next turn). This does allow the beast master's companion to take independent actions. If the ranger doesn't expend an attack to allow their companion to use an attack action, the companion could use help, but the beast master's attack with advantage matches up reasonably with a hunter's attack with colossus slayer or horde breaker. My call companion spell also functions to raise the companion from the dead, should it die, so that the ranger doesn't have to simply replace their bonded companion.

Because of the changes to the companion's actions, and building in of share spells to the call companion spell (likefind steed), I've added new defensive features to the companion at level 7 and 15 (stealing a little from the barbarian, fighter, and rogue). I'm not 100% on the interpose feature (modified from the totemic barbarian's bear feature for at 14th level).

Lastly, I have made new stats for generic companion animals. Some are buffs on the existing beasts, while a few are actually nerfs. This is because I have found that some companions (giant poisonous snake, I'm looking at you, but also the giant centipede, giant wolf spider, and wolf) seem to be too powerful for CR 1/4 beasts (the giant poisonous snake seems to be more like a CR 1 creature according to the DMG guidelines). With my larger HP totals for beasts (simply setting their HD to the ranger's ranger level), my allowance of TWFing, proficient saves, and shared spells right away (which means shared Hunter's Marks), I think a small nerf was for the best.

I've compared their damage ceiling against the Hunter Ranger's and find it to be within tolerance. Counting the proficiency bonus to damage, the beast would need a base 9 damage to equal with the hunter's damage with colossus slayer. The only potential exploit is a bear companion with it's multiattack using the hunter's mark spell while the ranger uses twfing's off-hand attack, allowing for three potential triggers of hunter's mark. I could take away the bear's multiattack, but I thought it would feel weird without it (it might already be weird with it's lower damage dice). The companion's HP do provide additional defense for the party comparable to a paladin's lay on hands, so I'm okay with many of the companions choices causing the Beast Master to deal less damage than the Hunter, as the Hunter doesn't have an HP regain feature like the Fighter or Paladin.

Please, tell me what you think. Do you think the companion animals I have presented seem balanced (I feel like the Boar Companion is a little weak, since it's ability scores are low and thus its saves are low, and since it has no special abilities like enhanced senses or trained skills). How do you like the call companion spell?

Xeviat

Hero
Call Companion
1st-levelenchantment (ritual)
CastingTime1 hour
Range10 feet
Components:V, S, M (an object that is enticing to the beast you are calling)
Duration:Instantaneous

Youcall upon the spirits of nature to bring to you a beast companion,bonded to you. It can be any beast of CR 0 that is not a swarm. If aspecific beast you wish to bond with is already present, this spellbinds you together. The companion has the statistics of a typicalmember of it's kind, except its Intelligence becomes 6, and it gainsthe ability to understand one language of your choice that you speak.Additionally, your companion can communicate with you as if you wereaffected by the speakwith animalsspell.
Yourcompanion acts independently of you, but it always obeys yourcommands. In combat, it acts on your initiative. A beast companioncan't attack, but it can take other actions as normal. If you areunconscious or not otherwise present to give it commands, it may takeits action, including to attack, normally.
Whenthe companion drops to 0 hit points, it automatically stabilizes,though track death saves if it is attacked while at 0 hit points.
Whilewithin 30 feet of your companion, you can make any spell you castthat targets only you also target your companion. While within 1 mileof your companion, you share an empathic bond, knowing what the otheris feeling and its general state of being (healthy, sick, injured,dying, or dead).
Youcan't have more than one companion at a time. As an action, you candismiss your companion, returning it to the wild. If you later recastthis spell, you can choose whether or not to call back the same beastor a new beast.
Ifyour companion dies, you can also cast this spell to bring it back tolife, even if its body had been destroyed. The spirits of naturerestore its body and bring it back to you.

Beast Master

Masterof Beasts
At3rd level, you gain a deep bond with all animals. You can cast castspeak with animals onyourself at will as a 1st-level spell, without expending a spellslot.

EnhancedCompanion
At3rd level, you learn the call companionspell and can cast it as a ritual. The spell doesn't count againstyour number of spells known.
Whenyou cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal companions orone of the companion animals below. These companion animals are meantto represent a group of animals; the dog could be a wolf or amastiff, the cat a panther or a cougar, etc.
Addyour proficiency bonus to the beast's AC, attack rolls, damage rolls,effect DCs, and saving throws, as well as to skills it is proficientin. It has a number of hit dice equal to it's base hit dice or theRanger's level, whichever is higher.
Additionally,when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your ownattacks to allow your companion to make one attack of its own.

Companion'sDefense
At7th level, your companion gains one of the following features of yourchoice.
Evasion.Your companion can nimbly dodge out of the way of certain areaeffects, such as a red dragon's fiery breath or a lightningboltspell. When your companion is subjected to an effect that allows itto make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, it insteadtakes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only halfdamage if it fails.
Interpose.When a creature your companion can see attacks a target other than itthat is within 5 feet of it, it can use its reaction to imposedisadvantage on the attack roll.

EnhancedCompanion
At11th level, your companion gains one of the following features ofyour choice.
Bestial Fury.Your beast companion can make two attacks when you command it to usethe attack action. You can still only expend one
Dire Beast.When you cast callcompanion,you can choose from new, larger companions, seen below (they are notready, but they include large versions of the companions below, aswell as additional companions like horses). Alternatively, you cancast callcompanionto transform your beast companion into an enhanced version of itself,rather than getting a new companion.

SuperiorCompanion's Defense
At15th level, your companion gains one of the following features ofyour choice.
UncannyDodge.When your companion is hit by an attack from an attacker that it cansee, it can use its reaction to halve the damage against it.
Interpose.Any creature within 5 feet of your companion that's hostile to youhas disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than yourcompanion or another character with a similar feature. An enemy isimmune to this effect if it can't see or hear your companion, or ifit can't be frightened. Additionally, if an affected attack stillhits its target, the companion can use a reaction to take the effectof the hit instead.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
Bear Companion
Mediumbeast, unaligned
------------------------
Armor Class: 11(natural armor)
Hit Points: 21(3d8 + 6)
Speed: 40 ft,climb 30 ft
------------------------
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
15 (+2) 10 (+0) 14 (+2) 2 (-5) 12 (+1) 7 (-2)
------------------------
Skills: Perception+3
Senses: passivePerception 13
Languages: -
Challenge: 1/4(50 XP)
------------------------
Keen Smell: Thebear has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Actions
------------------------
Multiattack.The bear makes two attacks: one with its bite and one with its claws.

Bite, MeleeWeapon Attack: +3 tohit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit:4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage.

Claws, MeleeWeapon Attack: +3 tohit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit:4 (1d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Bird Companion
Smallbeast, unaligned
------------------------
Armor Class: 13
Hit Points: 15(3d6 + 3)
Speed: 10 ft,fly 60 ft
------------------------
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
6 (-2) 16 (+3) 12 (+1) 3 (-4) 14 (+2) 5 (-3)
------------------------
Skills: Perception+4
Senses: passivePerception ?, others
------------------------
Flyby: The birddoesn't provoke opportunity attacks when it flies out of an enemy'sreach.

Keen Sight: Thebird has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearingor sight.

Actions
------------------------
Talons, MeleeWeapon Attack: +5 tohit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit:5 (1d4 + 3) slashing damage.

Boar Companion
Mediumbeast, unaligned
------------------------
Armor Class: 11
Hit Points: 18(3d8 + 3)
Speed: 40 ft
------------------------
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
13 (+1) 12 (+1) 12 (+1) 2 (-4) 9 (-1) 5 (-2)
------------------------
Skills: none
Senses: passivePerception 9
------------------------
Charge: If theboar moves at least 20 feet straight toward a target and then hits itwith a tusk attack on the same turn, the target takes an extra 4(1d8) slashing damage. If the target is a creature, it must succeedon a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Relentless (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest):If the boar takes 6 damage or less that would reduce it to 0 hitpoints, it is reduced to 1 hit point instead.

Actions
------------------------
Tusk, MeleeWeapon Attack: +3 tohit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit:5 (1d8 + 1) slashing damage.

Cat Companion
Mediumbeast, unaligned
------------------------
Armor Class: 12
Hit Points: 15(3d8)
Speed: 50 ft,climb 40 ft
------------------------
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
14 (+2) 15 (+2) 10 (+0) 3 (-4) 14 (+2) 7 (-2)
------------------------
Skills: Perception+4, Stealth +4
Senses: passivePerception 14
------------------------
Keen Smell: Thecat has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on smell.

Pounce: If thecat moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature and then hitsit with a claw attack on the same turn, that target must succeed on aDC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If the target isprone, the cat can make one bite attack against it as a bonus action.

Actions
------------------------
Bite, MeleeWeapon Attack: +4 tohit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit:5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage.

Claw, MeleeWeapon Attack: +4 tohit, reach 5 ft., one target.
Hit:4 (1d4 + 2) slashing damage.

Dog Companion
Mediumbeast, unaligned
------------------------
Speed: 40 ft
------------------------
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
12 (+1) 15 (+2) 12 (+1) 3 (-4) 12 (+1) 6 (-2)
------------------------
Skills: Perception+3, Stealth +4
Senses: passivePerception 13
------------------------
Keen Hearing and Smell:The dog has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely onhearing or smell.

Pack Tactics:The dog has advantage on attack rolls against a creature if at leastone of the dog's allies is within 5 feet of the creature and the allyisn't incapacitated.

Actions
------------------------
Hit:5 (1d6 + 2) piercing damage. If the target is a creature, it mustsucceed on a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Lizard Companion
Mediumbeast, unaligned
------------------------
Armor Class: 11(natural armor)
Speed: 30 ft,swim 30
------------------------
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
15 (+2) 10 (+0) 13 (+1) 2 (-4) 10 (+0) 5 (-3)
------------------------
Skills: Stealth+2
Senses: passivePerception 10
------------------------
Hold Breath:The lizard can hold its breath for 15 minutes.

Actions
------------------------
Hit:7 (1d10 + 2) piercing damage, and the target is grapples (escape DC12). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained and the lizardcan't bite another target.

Serpent Companion
Mediumbeast, unaligned
------------------------
Speed: 30 ft,swim 30 ft
------------------------
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
10 (+0) 15 (+2) 13 (+1) 2 (-4) 10 (+0) 3 (-4)
------------------------
Skills: Perception+2
Senses: passivePerception 12, blindsight 10 ft

Actions
------------------------
Bite, MeleeWeapon Attack: +3 tohit, reach 10 ft., one target.
Hit:4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 11Constitution saving throw, taking 9 (2d4) poison damage on a failedsave, or half as much damage on a successful one.

Spider Companion
Mediumbeast, unaligned
------------------------
Speed: 40 ft,climb 40 ft
------------------------
Str Dex Con Int Wis Cha
12 (+1) 15 (+2) 13 (+1) 3 (-4) 12 (+1) 4 (-3)
------------------------
Skills:Perception +3, Stealth +4
Senses: passivePerception 13, blindsense 10, darkvision 60
------------------------
Spider Climb:The spider can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down onceilings, without needing to make an ability check.

Web Sense:While in contact with a web, the spider knows the exact location ofany other creature in contact with the same web.

Web Walker: Thespider ignores movement restrictions caused by webbing.

Actions
------------------------
Hit:4 (1d4 + 2) piercing damage, and the target must make a DC 11Constitution saving throw, taking 2 (1d4) poison damage on a failedsave, or half as much damage on a successful one. If the poisondamage reduces the target to 0 hit points, the target is stable butpoisoned for 1 hour, even after regaining hit points, and isparalyzed while poisoned in this way.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
Changes compared to core version:
  • HP of animal companions increased. It is now based off HD (often d8, as most of the companions are medium), with con modifier added in. This allows low AC, high Con companions to have extra HP to make up for their low AC.
  • Animal Companion has its own action and movement. It can now dash to keep up with a dashing ranger, dodge, help, or anything else except attack on its own (though I made sure to clarify what the companion does if the ranger is unconscious or not present). It still cannot attack without the ranger expending an attack. From 3rd to 4th, the Beast master can either attack and have their companion assist for advantage and lower damage, or have their companion attack, typically for higher damage or status effects.
  • Ranger proficiency bonus adds to companion's save modifiers and save DCs.
  • Animals have been rebalanced against each other and against what the Hunter Ranger gains.
  • Call Companion spell added, comparable to Find Familiar and Find Steed. Merges share spells and actions, so defensive options added at level 7 and 15 for continued growth.
  • Option for large companions at 11th level will be added as an alternative to the companion getting two attacks. The large companion will get an AC, HP, Attack, and Damage buff; it's damage will be lower than the double attacking standard companion, but it will survive more. It's about choices.
  • Added speak with animal, as a ribbon ability at 3rd level. Considering instead, giving Hunters and Beast Masters domain spells like Paladins get.

Last edited:

At a glance, it just seems blatantly overpowered.

Why would anyone not choose a bird companion when it has comparable damage to the current best choices that a Beast Master can have, AND it has a fly speed of 60 feet with Flyby? It also has comparable health and AC. It can literally just take potshots at enemies all day. On top of this, it can attack three times a turn by level 5, if I'm reading it right? It's just seems like a lot. Maybe some more insight?

My problem with the Ranger, or the Beast Master in particular, isn't that it is mechanically less powerful, but that it doesn't feel just right. There needs just a little something something there. I personally don't think the issue is requiring actions from the ranger to command the beast, but many do. I just wish there were a little more to it.

I didn't mean to nitpick, but you did seem to be looking for some input, so I threw my two cents in.

Edit: Having said all that, I do think I really like the idea of having an animal companion spell, and the Beast Master's features enhance it to be similar to the animal companion feature that we already know.

Last edited:

Xeviat

Hero
My bird is comparable to the pterodactyl, and it doesn't do comparable damage to the existing animals when the existing giant poisonous snake deals 17.5 potential damage.

At 5th level, a twfing beast master will have their main, an offhand bonus, and use their extra attack to make the pet attack; it's the same number of attacks a Hunter ranger twfing will have.

Bird beast master
2x 1d6+4 (short swords) and 1x 1d4+6 totals 22.5.

Hunter Beast Master
3x 1d6+4 (short swords) and 1d8 colossus slayer totals 27. Without colossus slayer, it's 22.5 also.

My changes both address mechanical weaknesses in the subclass and allows the companion to act more freely, which will make it feel more like a pet and not a Pokemon.

And nah, not a nit pick. The defenses of the bird in particular, fly by, helps it to avoid taking damage and robbing the beast master of their own bonus damage. It also means the bird is going to soak less hits for the ranger and their party, which is good since the bird has lower hp than the others (5 per level instead of 6 or 7).

It is a blatant power up compared to he phb version, but that's because it needs it. The pets need more AC, especially the low AC ones; 3 per level and they drop immediately in tough fights and the ranger goes to being hunter without subclass features.

Thanks for the post. I'd love to sell you on it and take input on the something something you think it needs. I am considering giving all ranger subclasses "domain spells" to help out their restrictive spells known.

But if the bird gets one free action of his own, wouldn't that total to two animal companion attacks, if you have given him one your attacks? Or am I misunderstanding the free-er action economy of the animal companion?

I honestly totally forgot about the pterodactyl, that's a fair point.

I like the direction of this, truly. My personal "simple fix(es)" for the subclass, are to fold the PHB 7th level feature "Exceptional Training" into the baseline Animal Companion feature. Then I added a feature that gives the beast a method bypassing nonmagical weapon resistance and immunity, as well as giving the Ranger free rituals - Speak with Animals, Beast Sense, and Animal Messenger. I called it "Primal Attunement", and fluffed it as the mystical bond between the ranger and the beast began to enhance each respectively. I think it's a good fit, as Moon Druid's gain a similar feature for their beast forms at 6th level, and you mentioned the spell starved situation most Ranger's find themselves in. Utility rituals that fit the flavor seemed to feel just right for me.

Xeviat

Hero
No, it's one action cannot be an attack, like a familiar. The ranger can give up one of their attacks to let the companion use its action for an attack, just like a chain warlock's familiar.

I did fold level 7 into the base animal companion spell, so they player can use the companion as a source of help or as an attack source.

I did give speak with animals as a free thing, but again, extra spells known could do it.

Ooooh I see! My bad, I was not reading closely enough, and making assumptions. Well as far as action economy, I like that a lot. The spell makes a lot of sense.

I would be careful with simply giving extra spells known. If that's all that is done, the Ranger still has to use valuable spell slots on them. The feature needs to specifically say you can cast them as rituals, because RAW, Rangers don't have any ritual casting even if they know ritual spells. That is, of course, if such things matter to you. I like having things like Animal Messenger as a ritual too, because it just adds some flavor based utility.

Remove ads