So ... Supergirl

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Argue semantics if you like but the simple truth is that the holder of the property gets to decide what they do with it and, as this isn't really a situation in which anyone is harmed by their actions, they are right.

Um, the difference between right and wrong is not semantics. You stated that the holder of the property lets them decide that they are right. That's false. If what you really meant was that the holder of the property decides what happens, then you should own up to your own lack of clarity instead of accusing me of semantics.

Deciding what happens does not make the holder right.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Um, the difference between right and wrong is not semantics. You stated that the holder of the property lets them decide that they are right. That's false. If what you really meant was that the holder of the property decides what happens, then you should own up to your own lack of clarity instead of accusing me of semantics.

It is right that the owner of a property decides what to do with it.

It is wrong that anybody should really care what order they see an episodic TV show in, especially to the extent that they're using it as a context for debating right and wrong on a D&D messageboard.

This isn't a major moral quandary of the age. It just some people who felt that delaying a certain episode would be a nice thing to do, and hurt nobody.

Ryujin

Legend

Yup, pure semantics and argument for argument's sake. Buh-bye.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It is right that the owner of a property decides what to do with it.

That I understand. That doesn't make the result right, though.

It is wrong that anybody should really care what order they see an episodic TV show in, especially to the extent that they're using it as a context for debating right and wrong on a D&D messageboard.

This isn't a major moral quandary of the age. It just some people who felt that delaying a certain episode would be a nice thing to do, and hurt nobody.

That's true as well. It's not that big of a deal, but neither is there good reason for the switch here in the U.S. It's not disrespectful to show that episode in a country that is far removed from what happened.

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Personally, I believe that the episode should be shown, perhaps with a note at the beginning or end to say respect. If we change our lives, if we back down in fear because something is a little touchy, I feel like the terrorists win. We need to stand up and say we are strong and overcome them.

Bad stuff happens all around the world every single day. How many people around the world were murdered yesterday? Maybe not in a big massive attack, but I'm sure there were a few. So why don't we delay any episode showing of every show this week that has someone being murdered in it? You know, we'll wait until there is a day people aren't being murdered... oh wait...

As for the show, it's... okay... I don't know, it just... something about the show seems sorta meh or bland or something to me. I can't really quite put my finger on it, but the show just doesn't seem all that interesting to me. I can understand why the ratings are dropping.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Bad stuff happens all around the world every single day. How many people around the world were murdered yesterday? Maybe not in a big massive attack, but I'm sure there were a few. So why don't we delay any episode showing of every show this week that has someone being murdered in it? You know, we'll wait until there is a day people aren't being murdered... oh wait...

Yep. The philosophy being espoused by the network means that the horror movie industry should stop, as well as any movie or show depicting any sort of tragedy at all. Rape, murder, cancer, aids, heart attacks, and so on. All of them are tragedies and airing shows with them is "disrespectful" to those going through them.

delericho

Legend
Personally, I believe that the episode should be shown, perhaps with a note at the beginning or end to say respect. If we change our lives, if we back down in fear because something is a little touchy, I feel like the terrorists win.

I'm not entirely clear on why the terrorists do what they do, but I'm reasonably sure forcing Americans to watch one episode of "Supergirl" instead of another equally-mediocre episode isn't one of their goals.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Personally, I believe that the episode should be shown, perhaps with a note at the beginning or end to say respect. If we change our lives, if we back down in fear because something is a little touchy, I feel like the terrorists win. We need to stand up and say we are strong and overcome them.

It's not fear. It's a kind gesture of respect and solidarity. Gestures in this world are important; even tiny ones like changing the order some Supergirl episodes are shown in. Plus you are strong and you will overcome them? By watching Supergirl?

No, of course you can't do it every time. You can't give to every charity. You can't help every homeless person. You can't feed every African child. That doesn't mean you should never give to a charity, help a homeless person, or feed an African child. You can do something occasionally and it's still OK. Its not a binary choice.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm not entirely clear on why the terrorists do what they do, but I'm reasonably sure forcing Americans to watch one episode of "Supergirl" instead of another equally-mediocre episode isn't one of their goals.

But having people change their behavior because of their actions is one of them. In that optic, continuing do things as normal is an act of resistance or defiance.

This is why the "Je suis en terrasse" movement in Paris is important. At least to Parisians. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/je-suis-en-terrasse_564a399ce4b045bf3df0572b

Not changing a show's episodes my be more symbolic than anything else, but a large part of terrorism is symbolic.

Remove ads