Assault on Dire Wood

3SpdDragster

First Post
OOC: I'll add this in for Ydadoras.

Ydadoras draws the map, he notes hills to the east and west of the ruins at the centre of the map. He also adds in two rivers and shows where the old elven encampment was and outlines a large area to the east that was the Centaurs domain.

Ydadoras Map.png

Kesem copy the drawing to his parchment for future use and clears some space for future notes.
Turning to the Elves he says.
A similiar event occured many years ago according to the dusty tomes in the academy of magic in Silverymoon. The legends tell it was when the goddess of magic Mystryl died and lasted until Mystra arrived.

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Undeterred by the elf's stoicism, Big Yann ooed appreciatively at the developing map, then got distracted by Kesem's wise comment, "Has Mystra died and we haven't noticed then?"

3SpdDragster

First Post
Cendra shudders visibly at the through. "No, if such a calamity had befallen us we arcanists would be the first to know as the magical weave from which we draw power would collapse. I believe when Mystyl sacrificed herself, the weave did collapse and Mystra was born and took over the duties and limited magic."

The old elf nods sagely, "I am sorry that after two years we have so little information to give you as to the nature of the threat, but magical means of seeing and travelling into and out of the ring do not work. Oh, that is probably a good point to mention, spells like plane shift and teleport and others of that nature do not work. One of the groups we sent in found that out the hard way."

Skarsgard

Explorer
Bumble

"Hang on there, what sacrifice?" she frowns. "Do you know the nature of the sacrifice?And are the trees magical in nature, if so, what schools of magic do they belong to?

The halfling's curiosity was roused, was there a connection here.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Cendra spreads her hands helplessly. "There was a legend the humans who lived here before us had, the first Wood Elves that settle here wrote down the history of that people. They died out over a thousand years ago. The tale involved a red giant of stone who challenged the gods. His victory would have destroyed the world, Mystryl saw that by sacrificing herself magic would cease to function and cause the giant Krasys to die."

"The trees are certainly magical cleric of the Morning Lord," the elder interjected. "I believe they were, now correct me if I am wrong Cendra, Abjuration and Conjuration. But the magic itself is of a nature unknown to us."

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"So get to the center and beat up the big bad, right?" summarized Big Yann with a grin. The rest... Bah! Too complicated for him.

So he got back to Ydadoras' dirt map (while the others kept at it?), "Ohooo! A lot of choices here."

Then he looked up, "Which way do you think we should take, my elven friend?" By which he meant Ydadoras himself.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Dorn nodded in agreement at Ydadoras' proposal "This plan makes sense as we need to scout the area anyways. If we don't find any information, we can always continue our route and head to the Centaurs. Surely they would have useful information, if they are willing to share it with us."
Dorn looks at Cendra after this last comment, to see her reaction.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Cendra colours slightly under Dorn's gaze and you all realise just how young she is. Whitebow coughs to clear his throat and perhaps hide a smile.

"We have had no contact with the centaurs for two years, we sent an expedition to establish communication with them but they never returned."

"Whatever supplies we have, please feel free to replenish your stocks," the old elf adds. "As for silvered weapons and other things of that nature, sadly they were in the hands of those elves that went in to the wood."

Remove ads