D&D 5E [GUIDE] My Word Is My Sword: The Paladin Guide

Corran21

First Post
Mostly impossible.
1) You can't take Spell Sniper at 1st level (neither can you take War Caster for that matter) as it requires you to have an ability to cast spells (AFAIR).
Good point. You take polearm master first, it will actually be more useful for you than the other two feats at lower levels.
2) 'you can use your reaction to attack with BB everyine who enters your reach'. Nope:
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/09/16/polearm-caster/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/03/27/war-caster-feat/
You sure can, since your OA still uses your polearm. That assumes a reach weapon and increased range for BB, either by spell sniper feat or by using the distant metamagic option. Mearl's tweet was before the release of SCAG, and hence before there were any spells that used actual weapons with their attacks, plus Mearls gives advice on how he would houserule in his home games, not official explanations on the rules. And Crawford's answer just says that the OA from polearm master must use the polearm, which BB does, assuming your BB has a reach of 10 feet (spell sniper in this case). Perfectly legit. It is known.
3) With 3 feats you either have lower Str (which prevents you from reliably landing those sweet AoO) or not maximized Cha (which is a blasephamy for a Paladin IMO). I do not think it is worth it.
Fair enough. Imo a feat that works well with the rest of the build and allows you to pull off a good combo is worth having one stat at 18 insead of 20. Besides, most paladin builds will still rely heavily on 2 feats at least (eg vengeance relies on resilient con and GWM, oathbreakers rely on polearm master and sentinel, etc), so if having both str/dex and cha at 20 was that important (not saying that it is not important, but some feats are far more worth it), then human variant wold be hands down the best choice by far. Still, as I said, that is just my opinion.

Still your basic version is solid. I would even consider it for my strength based Adventurer's League Half-Elf Paladin (it is fairly easy to get that Trident of Warning to compensate for the lack of Peception skill and lower Initiative modifier) now that i can use a free rebuild from SCAG.
Is your build using a polearm or is it S&B?
Edit: Oh nvm, you use a lance.

Currently he is a Mounted Combatant. Not the most optimized build, and certanly not advisible for Third Season. But still OtA Paladin is the best choice if you really want your mount to survive.
Mounted Combatant saves the mount from direct attacks and helps with against AoE effects.
Aura of Protection helps it to make that save (for 0 damage) and Aura of Warding gives your mount a chance to outlive that AoE damage (you might want to back it up with Aid spell or something).
Reach of your lance perfectly in tune with your Nature's Wrath ability and Elder Champion capstone.
So if your party does not heavily rely on stealth checks and you find it fun to be mistaken for a centaur Paladin of the Ancient is your choice.
I see. So you say it is mainly because of aura of warding. Good point. Though mounts and mounted combatabt is too much of a situational feat (DM and campaign dependent imo) to rely a build on it in general. Still it could work with my second thought, which is str based and uses a polearm. Though that way you have only 2 ASIs left and you have 16 in str and cha.

Last edited:

Georlik

First Post
Is your build using a polearm or is it S&B?
Edit: Oh nvm, you use a lance.
After rebuild the character will rely mainly on his Trident of Warning (I call it 'Wakerife')
I see. So you say it is mainly because of aura of warding.
Not only that. Paladins at large have the best mounts (ok so do those bards wannabe). Capable of fighting, intelligent and loyal to boot. The only problem is the survivability of the mount (if we adhere to RAW). So any ability which adds to that improves your overall performance. Options like using lance to kite melee enemies, MC feat to save your destrier from ranged attacks and Aura of Warding are of importance.
Still it could work with my second thought, which is str based and uses a polearm. Though that way you have only 2 ASIs left and you have 16 in str and cha.
Why would you use a polearm? Save your bonus action for casting smites (and other spells at lvl 20) and stick to thy trusty lance.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Some info to be considered for the multiclass section covering subclasses in UA: Underdark.

Sorcerer (Shadow) doesn't necessarily thematically fit all builds, but it will some. A 1 level dip will grant darkvision 60', and the ability to make a Con save vs. getting reduced to 0 HPs. Between proficiency in Con saves and likely a decent Con, this is helpful. A 2nd level grants sorcery points as usualy, but you have a new way to use them - spend 1 to cast Darkness, and you can see through it.

Warlock (Undying Light) thematically can fit several types of paladins. The warlock spell list is expanded with a few possibilities - burning hands at 1st for crowd control and fire shield at 4th leap out. 1st level grants resistance to radiant damage, and when you cast a spell that deals radiant or fire, add your Chr mod to the damage. That won't add to Divine Smite, but it will to some smite spells and the Divine Favor spell. It also grants the Light and Sacred Flame cantrips.

Currently he is a Mounted Combatant. Not the most optimized build, and certanly not advisible for Third Season. But still OtA Paladin is the best choice if you really want your mount to survive.
Mounted Combatant saves the mount from direct attacks and helps with against AoE effects.
Aura of Protection helps it to make that save (for 0 damage) and Aura of Warding gives your mount a chance to outlive that AoE damage (you might want to back it up with Aid spell or something).
Reach of your lance perfectly in tune with your Nature's Wrath ability and Elder Champion capstone.
So if your party does not heavily rely on stealth checks and you find it fun to be mistaken for a centaur Paladin of the Ancient is your choice.

Is Aura of Warding even helpful? Looking through the MM, it seems like most AoE damage comes from special abilities like dragon breath and Magma Mephit breath and exploding balors, not from spells. If Aura of Warding worked against non-spell AoE it would be 5x more useful.

Elvin Paulino

First Post
hey Gladius Legis

Can you please recommend what to take. My friends and i started playing Rise of Tiamat which is from level 8-15. My party consist of dwarves berserker barbarian, half-orc barbarian, Eldritch Knight, Bladesinger/swashbuckler, NPC cleric of Life, Bard and Gnome Wizard.

Im playing a Human Paladin of Vengeance we rolled our stats, this is what i got

STR 18= 17 + 1 race
CON 14
DEX 12
INT 11
WIS 15 = 14 +1 race
CHA 16

I started in Level 1 as a fighter to get CON saving throw Proficiency. In level 8 I'm level 6 Paladin and 2 fighter.

Since we are only playing till level 15 I am planing on going two ways. Going for Paladin level 12 and 3 levels of fighter to get Battlemaster or Level 13 Paladin and 2 Fighter. Which one do you recommend?

This are my Current FEATs

Level 1 human Great Weapon Mastery
Level 4 Inspiring Leader (took this because are party needed more healing)

When ever i get to PALADIN LEVEL

Level 8 Planing on taking SENTINAL feat ( we are playing with the Dungeons master guide combat option MARK)
level 12 what do you suggest? I'm between the two. taking my STR 20 or getting Resilient WIS feat.

Right now i have a +1 great sword that whenever i hit i add 1d6 of cold damage. I have great-weapon style and Defence as my fighting styles. The two barbarian are battle masters so they are going to do Trip to get Advantage on melee attacks most of the time. If this helps with the decision.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dasem

First Post
This is likely subject to some debate. However, I want to throw it out there:

Hitting a Paralyzed creature within 5ft of you is considered a critical hit.

Read Greatweapon Master again... When you score a critical hit, or reduce an enemy to 0HP, you can make a bonus action attack.

So for Vengeance Paladins with Hold Person.... Does this work?

RulesJD

First Post
This is likely subject to some debate. However, I want to throw it out there:

Hitting a Paralyzed creature within 5ft of you is considered a critical hit.

Read Greatweapon Master again... When you score a critical hit, or reduce an enemy to 0HP, you can make a bonus action attack.

So for Vengeance Paladins with Hold Person.... Does this work?

Yes. The only reason the combo isn't better is that it uses your action and gives the enemy 2 saves before you get to swing at them. Also, it only works on "humanoids" which is a fairly small category of enemies.

However, 3+ level dips into Sorc this gets significantly better because you can Quicken it, albeit just for 2 big hits for 1 save.

Dasem

First Post
Yes. The only reason the combo isn't better is that it uses your action and gives the enemy 2 saves before you get to swing at them. Also, it only works on "humanoids" which is a fairly small category of enemies.

However, 3+ level dips into Sorc this gets significantly better because you can Quicken it, albeit just for 2 big hits for 1 save.

Or a 2 dip in Fighter for Action Surge. Still, thank you for reminding me that the target would have to fail two saves before it opens up. I'd forgotten that aspect.

Nameless Hero

First Post
[MENTION=68748]Gladius Legis[/MENTION]

What do you think of the tough feat? I didn't see a rating for it. I play a high level paladin and I often end up front line tanking damage? Thinking that the extra hit points might give me more durability.

Remove ads