Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

Everyone in Star Wars understands droid beeps. It's just one of the things about that universe.

I was always in the belief that you either had to learn the droid beeps or be lucky enough to be a Jedi and pretty much understand everything through the force. That is what I thought was the first tip to Rey being a force adept. She understood both the droid and the Chewy.

Yeah, the binary language might be known to a lot of folks who work or interact with a lot of droids. The fact that Rey understood Chewie right away was a big hint that she had a connection to the force. We don't know a whole lot about her life on Jakku but there wasn't anything there to suggest that she had previous dealings with wookies.

Minor quibbles and unanswered questions aside, I loved this movie. I want to go see it again before it leaves the theaters. I really liked all the new generation characters and look forward to geeking out over the next films. :D:D

Klaus

First Post
Yeah, the binary language might be known to a lot of folks who work or interact with a lot of droids. The fact that Rey understood Chewie right away was a big hint that she had a connection to the force. We don't know a whole lot about her life on Jakku but there wasn't anything there to suggest that she had previous dealings with wookies.

She doesn't need to learn it from a wookiee, she could have been taught by someone else, like Max Von Sydow's character (whose voice we hear when we get the flashback of young Rey being left on Jakku).

If she is Luke's daughter, and the Empire (and later the First Order) was actively hunting him, it'd make sense for him to leave her in the care of a trusted ally, with no knowledge of her real heritage, trusting that the Force would bring them together at some point.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not impressed. Not bad like the prequels, but nothing original or captivating. The movie is just fast paced and that help us from thinking too much about plot holes, stereotypical dialogues and just copie/past from the first films. There were no risks taken by the director, no real surprises*. Abrams gave fans what they wanted, not what they didn't know what they wanted, to paraphrase a critic.

Yes, well, critics make their money off being *critical*, which is not the same as being correct.

There was a whole lot on the screen that was captivating. The audience in my theater was captivated - drawn in, wrapped up, and engaged - for most of the film. I'm sorry if you weren't captivated, but that is often as much about the viewer as the medium, so that's very difficult to dissect or critique. As for original... new is actually incredibly hard to come by - it is said that there are no new plots, no new characters, that we tell so many stories that you will have to repeat other things. And whether or not that it literally true, is is a practical hurdle, at least.

I personally find that new is not a very major selling point, in and of itself. I think of it this way - we've each had many meals in our lives, many dishes. You've had lasagna before, you'll have it again. There's nothing *new* in lasagna. But, when someone hands you are really good plate of lasagna, that can be an excellent meal.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Didn't bother me, though, as a lot of the tiresome tropes were thankfully missing (hallelujah for the lack of severed limbs).

Saw Han's death coming a mile off, but it was done well. It's what a father would do, and he died trying to save his son; no regrets. There was real struggle in Ren's face. I don't think that act is irredeemable; Anakin killed dozens of Jedi, including children, and was redeemed 20 years later. But now that Rey has done with him for now, he has reason to be wearing that mask after the scar she gave him!

New trope! Evil inside is marked by flaws without! Anakin. Kylo Ren. Snoke. All scarred.

BB-8 was a lot better than I thought he'd be.

I was ready to really dislike BB-8. It was so clearly *engineered* to be cute, that my gut reaction going in was to dislike being manipulated. However, BB-8 is so well engineered to be cute that you can't help liking the droid! In a cinematography sense, I really see the point of what would otherwise be a completely inane piece of engineering. BB-8 has all the cute of R2-D2, with added expressiveness from being able to move the head more.

When I saw Squidward (or whatever his name was)

"Supreme Leader Snoke".

With how things are often named in the Star Wars universe, I am half-expecting there to be a lot of misapprehension. That *huge* hologram - the dude is compensating, and is probably Yoda-sized. "Snoke and mirrors" if you will.

SailorNash

Explorer
Luke totally Language! that puppet. That's why she kept his saber in her purse, he made the ultimate Walk of Shame to the far side of the galaxy, and the look at the end? That was him being thankful that his kid didn't need those big goofy glasses or take after her mom.

Mod Edit: Inappropriate language. If we can tell you used foul language, then you used foul language, even if you cover it. ~Umbran.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod note: And no, that's not where she gets it. Luke lost it on Bespin, when he got his hand cut off by Vader. In the next movie, he has a new saber.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Presumably, it can move. And yes, you want to still shoot from a distance. Notice that the thing was taken down by a bunch of fighters - not a single capitol ship in sight! If you bring it in-system to eat the star of your real target, well, it's pretty darned vulnerable.

What I don't get, is removing the star destroys the system, so why shoot anything? The system loses its heat, its gravity well, and everything not sealed up dies. That's one of the few things that made me scratch my head.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What I don't get, is removing the star destroys the system, so why shoot anything? The system loses its heat, its gravity well, and everything not sealed up dies. That's one of the few things that made me scratch my head.

You kill the star in one system, and then shoot the planets in *another* system. The thing reaches across interstellar distances, through hyperspace.

Last edited by a moderator:

New trope! Evil inside is marked by flaws without! Anakin. Kylo Ren. Snoke. All scarred.

Nothing new here. Move along. The dark side grants power easily but it comes with a price. Look what happened to Palpatine when his force lightning account was overdrawn. The dark side will have its payment sooner or later. Kylo Ren has yet to truly know how much power will cost him.

If an untrained girl can kick his butt, then he is going to need a massive power up before facing her again. I am curious to see how expensive that will be for him in the next film.

Against our planet Earth that would do the trick. We don't massive numbers (or even 1) of star ports and ways to quickly leave the planet. Blowing a planet up destroys it RIGHT NOW instead just really soon.

The plant killer gun-when you absolutely, positively HAVE to kill every inhabitant on the planet in a single shot!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads