Star Wars Spoilers Thread [Spoilers]

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy. It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good. I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team. Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their...

So here's my review: 100% a Star Wars film which belongs with the original trilogy.

It's a transitional film, but it does it well. The new generation is really good.

I think the major death was kinda signposted a bit. You knew it was coming long before it happened. I felt worse for Chewie, but he, Rey, and BB8 make a great team.

Is this the first Star Wars film where nobody gets their hand cut off?

Luke lives in Ireland, eh?

Question: WHY was there a map to Luke, and why was it split into two? I feel like I missed something. For that matter, why a map and not just some coordinates? Seems like a random puzzle set up for the sake of it.
ebdc7e9da0a98a020498d701b47512ef.jpg

Water Bob

Adventurer
And...I wasn't clear on why Kylo Ren wears a mask and talks through a speaker. Is that just part of his Vader worship?

And...just how much does Ren's helmet weigh? The two times he set it down, it sounded like he was dropping a canon ball.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I didn't get that from the movie at all. What I saw was that the First Order was the most influential political body in the universe, but it wasn't near at the strength of the old Empire. The Rebellion had hurt them, badly. And,the war is still going on. After their victory, the Rebels became the "Resistance". The Empire became the "First Order". And, much of the galaxy is independent--self ruled.

Nah, the other canon stuff (the book Aftermath and other things) tell us that the Republic is in control. I agree that the movie isn't very clear; hopefully they'll put more info in the next one. The First Order is more akin to those Nazis on the moon in Iron Sky - remnants who hid and are trying to come back now.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Nah, the other canon stuff (the book Aftermath and other things) tell us that the Republic is in control. I agree that the movie isn't very clear; hopefully they'll put more info in the next one. The First Order is more akin to those Nazis on the moon in Iron Sky - remnants who hid and are trying to come back now.

I just downloaded the first of the Aftermath trilogy. I'll start listening to it on my commute Monday.

The reason the Resistance doesn't "look" in charge is because, besides their name, they don't LOOK in charge. That base they have looks like a secret Rebel installation. You'd think the government in charge would have more permanent looking HQs.

What I saw in the film made me think that the Resistance is held together with hope, shoestring, and gum, just like the Rebel Alliance from 30 years ago.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
The reason the Resistance doesn't "look" in charge is because, besides their name, they don't LOOK in charge. That base they have looks like a secret Rebel installation. You'd think the government in charge would have more permanent looking HQs.

What I saw in the film made me think that the Resistance is held together with hope, shoestring, and gum, just like the Rebel Alliance from 30 years ago.

It would make sense if the Resistance are considered to be unsanctioned paranoid fearmongers by the Republican leadership.

-Hyp.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I just downloaded the first of the Aftermath trilogy. I'll start listening to it on my commute Monday.

No, Republic, not Resistance. They aren't the same thing. The former is the current galactic government. The latter is a ramshackle military operation run by Leia.

Curmudjinn

Explorer
The Hosnian system, which is destroyed, is not the New Republic's seat. It is just the nearest Republic system to the Starkiller Station, not unlike the Death Star test on Alderaan, or the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Republic allows the Resistance to operate and fight the First Order to keep their hands clean of war. They are specifically the Resistance against the First Order, and nothing more. The New Republic's capitol is Chandrila and Mon Mothma is Chancellor of the new Galactic Senate there. I'm not for sure if she is still in charge during the events of The Force Awakens though.

ZzarkLinux

First Post
About the Movie

Just saw the movie today with an uncle.

Nice Review:

My initial feeling is that it was "alright". Not great, not terrible. It carries the " Star Wars torch" forward and progress and stuff. I feel like it had 3 target audiences: new kids, new family parents, and hardcore fans. They couldn't put in too much detail or they'd lose the "new crowd". They had to cover all the selling points (force, resistance, republic, desert planet, etc) to verify it for "existing fans". Hopefully the next movies won't have such a "Bland & Generic Star Wars for Dummies" feel.

Naughty Review

WHY DID EVERYTHING FEEL FORCED ??
Why did they need to show the Republic destruction? It lasted like 5 minutes, and had nothing related to anything else in the movie. Should have cut it!
Why did they force the relationship between the Rey and the dude? Maybe to hit some target audience (just add romance)? But wow it wasn't done well.
Why did they even show Luke at the end? It wasn't needed, and could have been saved for the start of the next movie!
What was the motivation for going to visit Luke at the end? It added nothing. Lol okay I killed some bad guys, now I'ma take this LightSabre to some guy that's having a mid-life crisis. Why does she care!

I give it 4/5 stars. It would be 3/5 stars for any other movie, but the brand-name adds a star all by itself. The next one won't get a bonus star on it's own...

Water Bob

Adventurer
The Hosnian system, which is destroyed, is not the New Republic's seat. It is just the nearest Republic system to the Starkiller Station, not unlike the Death Star test on Alderaan, or the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Republic allows the Resistance to operate and fight the First Order to keep their hands clean of war. They are specifically the Resistance against the First Order, and nothing more. The New Republic's capitol is Chandrila and Mon Mothma is Chancellor of the new Galactic Senate there. I'm not for sure if she is still in charge during the events of The Force Awakens though.

Where'd you get your info?

Water Bob

Adventurer
There's a lot of unanswered questions in the film--exactly the way that there were a lot of unanswered questions after A New Hope came out.

What is this "Sith"? Now, it is, "Who are the Knights of Ren?"

It was, "what do we know about the Old Republic and now, the Empire?" Now, it's, "What is the Resistance, and what is their place in the Republic? What is the First Order?"

There were important people that we know little about: Dodonna and Wedge Antilles. Here, it's Lor San Tekka and Max Kanata.

In A New Hope, we saw a large Star Destroyer that blocked out our view overhead. Here, we saw an even larger Star Destroyer that blocked out the sight of a planet.

The Death Star = Starkiller Base.

The desert planet of Jakku. And, of course, Tatooine.

Grand Moff Tarkin. General Hux.

And so on.

I think that we sometimes take for granted the 38 years of information we've learned about the Star Wars universe that was outside of the first film.

With this sequel/re-launch, we're in basically the same place, almost 40 years later.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads