Axanar meets legal resistence from CBS

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Of course you're right, from the standpoint of legal terminology, but I was simply trying to set it apart from all of the actual broadcast programming and movies, that are posted to Youtube wholesale. It's not a complete and copywritten work that someone has appropriated, then posted.

Ah, sorry, I see that now.

Ryujin

Legend
It is interesting. I'm guessing that it is less a legal strategy question than a business strategy one. Perhaps, in essence, they want to put the kibosh on big-crowd-funding, professionally-staffed infringing major projects. "Prelude to Axanar" itself really isn't what will do the damage, so they don't feel a need to insist it go away right now, and insistign might well cheese fans off *even more*. It is the larger Axanar work that could become a distressing precedent, that they need to deal with, and better to do that before it ever hits youtube.

"Prelude" is also named in the document that I linked. As such whenever they name "the Axanar works" they are also referencing "Prelude to Axanar."

Ryujin

Legend
Here's what Alec Peters the Executive Producer of Axanar is saying:
http://www.axanarproductions.com/captains-log-jan-4th-2016/

short of it is, this suit is not about the stuff we all speculate about. It's about exactly what is cited in the filing.

We can speculate all that we want but in the end that's all it is; speculation. On Facebook, in particular, calmer heads have tried to get the hotheads to cool down and stop with all the "boycott this & that" talk, as it's counter productive.

Janx

Hero
We can speculate all that we want but in the end that's all it is; speculation. On Facebook, in particular, calmer heads have tried to get the hotheads to cool down and stop with all the "boycott this & that" talk, as it's counter productive.

Yup.

Most every thing would be better if the hotheads who are angry would STFU and let the calm people come to a compromise.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Here's what Alec Peters the Executive Producer of Axanar is saying:
http://www.axanarproductions.com/captains-log-jan-4th-2016/

short of it is, this suit is not about the stuff we all speculate about. It's about exactly what is cited in the filing.

Huh, I read that and came away with an entirely different take. He said that the suit was about more than what was in the filing, but no one except CBS can know what that is and speculating is just spinning wheels.

But, to point, yeah, the whys and wherefores don't matter a jot. The bit in front of the court is exactly what's in the filing. That and what comes out of discovery. No more, no less.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Yup.

Most every thing would be better if the hotheads who are angry would STFU and let the calm people come to a compromise.

Did you read the filing? I don't think there's a compromise possible here. Maybe to reduce the breadth of the defendant pool. But Axanar is deader than a doornail.

MarkB

Legend
Did you read the filing? I don't think there's a compromise possible here. Maybe to reduce the breadth of the defendant pool. But Axanar is deader than a doornail.

Yeah, threatening legal action would have been negotiating - but when your first move is to file legal action against every single person involved in the production, that's not the move of someone looking for compromise.

Janx

Hero

that would likely be due to more uncalm people being involved in the filing of the suit..

we need to calmly collect such people and calmly smother them with pillows.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
that would likely be due to more uncalm people being involved in the filing of the suit..

we need to calmly collect such people and calmly smother them with pillows.

We need to murder people that disagree with your preferred course of action?!

Remove ads