Axanar meets legal resistence from CBS

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
that would likely be due to more uncalm people being involved in the filing of the suit..

I'm guessing it was done in a quite calm manner. Cold and calculated, even. It isn't like Axanar was new to them - they've known about it too long to be shocked or excited.

we need to calmly collect such people and calmly smother them with pillows.

I know you probably intend this as dramatic hyperbole. We would really, deeply prefer if your hyperbole not extend to suggestion of causing harm to others.

Janx

Hero
I'm guessing it was done in a quite calm manner. Cold and calculated, even. It isn't like Axanar was new to them - they've known about it too long to be shocked or excited.

I know you probably intend this as dramatic hyperbole. We would really, deeply prefer if your hyperbole not extend to suggestion of causing harm to others.

Sorry. I was joking, but as you say. Will endeavor to not do that again.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
the real question isn't "is this the end of axanar" it's "Will this stop future big budget fan films"

Not really, as long as they ask and receive permission from the IP holders. And afterward keep to the agreements made, there will be fan films from IP owners that will deal with fans on this matter.

Alec Peters didn't do that. Didn't ask permission as far as I understand the situation, didn't receive permission. He used the 'unwritten rule' that said (Wikipedia quote):
Paramount Studios, who owns the Star Trek franchise, traditionally allows fan-made projects to move forward just "as long as they agree not to sell anything—including tickets, merchandise, or copies of the finished film or series.

Then with the Star Trek: Axenar kickstarter they sold: Merchandise and copies of the finished film...

Do we find it strange that the IP owner hit them with a hammer?

A real shame, because they got freaking Soval (Gary Graham)! I like that Vulcan! ;-)

Alec Peters is an attorney, he should know better. Also his skills with dealing with criticism online isn't exactly helpful, not to his project, not to people getting to understand the situation:

Alec Peters said:
Wow, you really are a tool. Sorry buddy, but there is too much you have no clue about, and I have no time to explain the history of fan films to you.
This on a blog dedicated to w40k, made by Games Workshop, one of the most heavy handed companies regarding fan works. Many fan movies got shutdown by GW, that is until recently "The Lord Inquisitor" actually got permission to proceed...

Ryujin

Legend
This from Alec Peters, last night. I only caught it a couple of minutes ago. Curse Facebook's crappy notification system.

"WOW, do I have some great news for you all. But I can't say anything till the paperwork is dry! I know, what a tease I am.

Also, the offices upstairs are finally coming together. Photos in tonight's Captain's Log which has up to the date info on all the goings on at Axanar."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Then with the Star Trek: Axenar kickstarter they sold: Merchandise and copies of the finished film...

Do we find it strange that the IP owner hit them with a hammer?

It is a little inconsistent, as they have been allowing ST: Renegades to sell copies of the finished work. They aren't required to be consistent, mind you, especially when Renegades has so many former cast members involved.

But, from what Ryujin just posted, I'm guessing they cut a deal, and can move forward.

Ryujin

Legend
It is a little inconsistent, as they have been allowing ST: Renegades to sell copies of the finished work. They aren't required to be consistent, mind you, especially when Renegades has so many former cast members involved.

But, from what Ryujin just posted, I'm guessing they cut a deal, and can move forward.

I'm hoping so but then again it could be a casting announcement for Peters' replacement as Captain Garth, when they still haven't cleared production yet.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm hoping so but then again it could be a casting announcement for Peters' replacement as Captain Garth, when they still haven't cleared production yet.

"Great news, everyone! We've got some sucker to sign on to a production that likely won't happen!"

Remove ads