Axanar meets legal resistence from CBS

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
The Axanar Productions website is gone -- every page replaced with a '522 - Request timed out' message combined with the web-hosts generic page that explains that the site is off-line.

The YouTube page is still up, but I suspect that's only a matter of time before it too joins the official website in Internet oblivion.

So long, Axanar. Was nice knowing you.

--
Pauper

Ryujin

Legend
The Axanar Productions website is gone -- every page replaced with a '522 - Request timed out' message combined with the web-hosts generic page that explains that the site is off-line.

The YouTube page is still up, but I suspect that's only a matter of time before it too joins the official website in Internet oblivion.

So long, Axanar. Was nice knowing you.

--
Pauper

http://www.axanarproductions.com/ is alive and kicking.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That site was *extremely* slow in responding earlier today (I got a 422 as well). Itseems to be back now, but not terribly snappy. I suspect technical issues, rather than legal ones here.

Janx

Hero
That site was *extremely* slow in responding earlier today (I got a 422 as well). Itseems to be back now, but not terribly snappy. I suspect technical issues, rather than legal ones here.

probably getting a lot of traffic. Some of it hackerific since increased attention brings out the jerks.

Ryujin

Legend
A little more on the Axanar front: CBS/Paramount have started to refine their suit, based on the motion by Axanar's lawyers for more than a vague handwave regarding "thousands" of IP that were being breached. So far they're putting their money on the appearance of the Vulcan race, the uniforms, and the Kingon language.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/paramount-claims-crowdfunded-star-trek-874985

With respect to the appearance of the Vulcans the original series, itself, stated that they looked remarkably like classic devils (Satan himself, in point of fact, along with many "pointed eared hobgoblin" comments). It was used as a plot point ("The Omega Glory"). I think that's the only one that the Axanar folks can really fight. I thought that the Klingon language was developed and the dictionary released personally by a linguist who worked with CBS, but apparently that have the copyright. They might have gotten away with the uniforms if they had made up their own, instead of essentially using the ones from "Enterprise", "The Cage" (original pilot), and the first couple of original series episodes.

MarkB

Legend
Actually, those just seem to be the examples the article picked out, presumably as the most photogenic / recognisable.

The amended suit linked in the article cites literally dozens more alleged infringements, in equal or greater levels of detail - twenty-nine pages' worth, in fact.

Ryujin

Legend
Actually, those just seem to be the examples the article picked out, presumably as the most photogenic / recognisable.

The amended suit linked in the article cites literally dozens more alleged infringements, in equal or greater levels of detail - twenty-nine pages' worth, in fact.

Well that's a bit down from the undefined "thousands", that was being tossed around in the beginning. It's pretty hard to fight a legal battle against undefined encroachments ;)

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
Well that's a bit down from the undefined "thousands", that was being tossed around in the beginning. It's pretty hard to fight a legal battle against undefined encroachments ;)

I can't believe a lawyer looked at an obvious star trek movie and said "but what exactly do you think is star trek about it?"

Remove ads