D&D 5E [IC] Against the Slavelords

GreenKarl

First Post
Brak shoulders his way to a large bald, fat man wearing blue robes. He eyes the barbarian with flat eyes and says"Sport? That man is just a sla...ah ... I mean a convicted prisoner sentenced to death. The crowd wants a little blood is all... whats the harm in that? 'Sides, the bear be worth more then he is..."

The armed guards are pushing the chained man out away from the wall and he screams in terror but avoids the bear, at least for now but holding it back with the spear.

GreenKarl

First Post
Levanna said:
"Well done sir," Levanna said to the half-orc minding the horse. She produced a silver piece from her pouch. "May we hire your services guarding the animal for the rest of the night?" she asked, handing over the coin.

Smiling stupidly the half-orc nods and says "More den a nuff me lady"

He then follows the group to stand outside the Devil's Den talking to himself softly.

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
[section]Alegast followed the rest in the group in silence, donning his hood before they left the Broken Rutter. Preoccupied about what is seems to be happened, he walks wary of his surroundings all the way. The carved dragons were interesting, but Alegast didn't know about them. "Maybe I'll research on them later", he thought.

When the group entered the Devil's Den, Alegast recalled why the elves considered humans unworthy. "This is just barbaric". But he said nothing, smiling when Brak asked for a fair fight against the bear. He then looks the around, searching for potential threats and uncommon stuff.[/section]

[sblock='Roll checks']
Here.
[/sblock]

[sblock='Mini-Stat Block']
Alegast - Wizard (Bladesinger) 5th level
Initiative: +3 Perception: +4
Passive Perception: 14
Passive Investigation: 17
Speed: 30' (40' while Bladesong active)

AC: 15 (Studded leather + Dex) - 19 (while Bladesong active)
HP 27/27

In Hand:Rapier
Off Hand: Wand (of the War Wizard +1)

Prepared Spells:
1st: Absorb Elements, Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Shield
2nd: Magic Weapon, Mirror Image, Misty Step
3rd: Fireball, Vampiric Touch

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 3/3
3rd: 2/2

Active Spells: (c) denotes concentration
None

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Forged Fury

First Post
Brak Blood-Bear, 5th Level Barbarian

Brak frowned and furrowed his brow. "Wait, are you saying there's no betting going on here? Well then, do I have an idea for you!"

Remembering that he was trying to get the opportunity to apply knuckles to something's face, hopefully allowing his comrades time to develop some information, Brak returned to the plight of the man below. "Convicted prisoner? Why didn't you say so? You don't need a real bear to deal with that when you've got the Blood-Bear here! There's a slim chance that bear might die, there's no chance that Brak will!"

OOC: Hell, I don't know. Here's a Persuasion roll. I'm sure this is going to go oh so well...
Persuasion: [roll0]

^Hey now... that's a natural 20!

GreenKarl

First Post
The pit master get an evil grin on his face at Brak's suggestion (no insight required). "Well nows" he says "My bear be a bit enraged and hungry rights about now, but if you want to beat someone up with yer fists, how about the next fight? There will be a betting on that one... it be a free for all between four or our local boys. If ye think you can."

He then looks down into the pit and says "But then this one be a taking a bit longer then sporting... if ye want be join in the fight below, be my guest. Just don't hurt me bear..."

3SpdDragster

First Post
Evendur Buckman Rogue Level 1 (warlock 4)

[section]

Evendur Buckman drank in the aroma of the ‘arena’. Now, let’s see what we can do here, he thinks to himself.
He weaves his way through the crowd, insinuating himself in conversations and buying drinks and convincing people he is their new best friend.
[sblock=OOC]
He is trying to find a place to get horses and information on the slav… I mean convicted criminals.
It is a straight Charisma Check from what I understand. Score:21
charisma: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21
[/sblock]
[/section]

[sblock='Mini-Stat Block']
Grigor (Rogue1/Warlock4) 5th level
Initiative: +2 Perception: +5
Passive Perception: 15
Passive Investigation: 14
Speed: 30'

AC: 18 (Breast Plate + Dex + shield)
HP 33/33

In Hand:Rapier Silvered
Off Hand: Shield

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
Evendur said:
[sblock=OOC]
He is trying to find a place to get horses and information on the slav… I mean convicted criminals.
It is a straight Charisma Check from what I understand. Score:21
charisma: 1D20+3 = [18]+3 = 21
[/sblock]

Evendur quickly gets a good read on the crowd. He discovers that the man in the pit is in fact a slave brought in by the 'baron' as an example. Seems the fellow had escaped from the baron's private household slaves and was captured this morning. He also finds out that the only people in town with horses are the baron's militia, the Iron Guard. There are a few farmers outside of town with horses also... Evendur thinks he hears of one or two that might have horses for sale but no one here really goes outside the walls as there is nothing really out there... (at least for the people who frequent fighting pits)

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
Through the mob of shouting people drunk on bloodlust, Levanna could barely make out the unfortunate man fighting for his life. She made her way to Brak Blood-Bear and the pitmaster catching them at the end of their conversation.

"Well nows" he says "My bear be a bit enraged and hungry rights about now, but if you want to beat someone up with yer fists, how about the next fight? There will be a betting on that one... it be a free for all between four or our local boys. If ye think you can."

He then looks down into the pit and says "But then this one be a taking a bit longer then sporting... if ye want be join in the fight below, be my guest. Just don't hurt me bear..."

Levanna stepped forward, raising her voice to be heard above the noise. "The crowd doesn't seem to care for his ability to fight. But my friend Brak here would definitely give them a good show! Pull that miserable sod out and put in a real champion!"

Levanna then leaned in and spoke in the pitmaster's ear. "Either way you win. Either he loses and the crowd gets their blood, but with a good fight on top of that. Or he wins and everyone will talk about the fight for the next fortenight at least. Surely the patrons such tales would bring to this establishment would be worth the price of a bear?"[/section]

[sblock='Mini Stat Block']
Levanna (Wizard 5) 5th level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Passive Perception: 12
Passive Investigation: 17
Speed: 30'

AC: 14 (Mage Armor + Dex)
HP 32/32

In Hand:Quarterstaff
Off Hand: None

Spell Save DC: 14

Prepared Spells:
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, Feather Fall, Disguise Self, Magic Missile,
2nd: Misty Step, Suggestion, Invisibility
3rd: Counterspell

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 2/3

Active Spells (c) denotes concentration
Mage Armor

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tirion Cayde, Cleric Level 5 (Life)
Elredd/The Broken Rutter
Day 1/Night

They moved out of the inn and through the village. Tirion could now make out the wooden palisade and a large stone fort. On the roof of the fort, lit by torches and lanterns, were huge wooden carvings of roaming dragons. Something in it triggered a memory and he studied the iconography closer, recognizing the form of the Earth Dragon, an ancient and evil primordial demigod long since ceased to be worshipped in most parts of the world. What was it doing here?

There was little time to contemplate it before they arrived at the Devil’s Den. The cacophony and stench of the large, smoke-filled wooden building was off-putting. Everyone was armed and armored, so they wouldn’t stand out. Of course, that also meant that everyone in the place was likely dangerous. In the fighting pit was a large black bear and a scrawny human with a spear. The human didn’t seem at all eager to engage with the bear, to the fury of the crowd, and workers were prodding at him to get him closer to the animal.

Tirion winced as Brak bellowed out. Well, he’ll certainly get the attention, the cleric mused, and the pit master pushed his way through the crowd toward the large gladiator.

Evendur split off from the group and started moving through the crowd, but Tirion was loathe to leave Levanna’s side. A lady had no business being alone in a place like this.

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +0
Perception: +4 (Passive: 14)
Speed: 30
AC: 20 (plate and shield)
HP: 33/33 HD: 5/5d8
Main Hand: None
Off Hand: Shield

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Mending, Sacred Flame
1st: Bless, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Command
2nd: Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon, Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: Beacon of Hope, Revivify, Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic, Mass Healing Word

Spell Slots Remaining/Total
1st: 4/4
2nd: 3/3

Conditions: Guidance (C)
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
The pit master eyes Levanna, nodding but adds "Well that there might bes a good plan and all but I've got a schedule to keep. The main fight is later and the champ already got himself a challenger. Nows if yer lad here wants to maybe 'speak' to the challenger and gets him to back off... I am sure Braggi Bloodboar would be happy to fights him. Buts later, after this... demonstration and the free-for-all brawl comin' next..."

About then another man appears besides the pit master. The man moved so subtly that Levanna and Brak did really notice him until he was standing there. Which is odd, give his look. The man is young, with very pale almost white hair and skin, clean shaven and wearing silk scarlet robes, that very clean despite the location you are all in, and saddles. He is leaning on a long wooden staff with a number of strange runes across it, but Levanna can tell that they are not arcane runes... just some strange language that she does not recognize.

With slight bow to the pair the young man says in a soft voice "I am sure Master Yenth here would be more then happy to accommodate your request, but it is important the the present fight continue without interference. I am sure you understand?"

[OCC - If anyone wants they can make an Intelligence (History) or Intelligence (Religion) check here who has seen the young man in red...
[sblock=History or Religion 15+]
The young man appears to be a member of the Scarlet Brotherhood a monk order from the southlands. They have been making many appearances of late in the northern lands, especially around seat of power. They claim to wish non-violence and often act as peace and trade negotiators for many of the rich houses and nobles of the north and free cities. Members wear the distinctive red silk robes but are otherwise appear to be living simply, humble lives.[/sblock]

[sblock=History 20+]
There are rumors that the order also includes assassins and warlocks but mostly these rumors are dismissed as they do seem to do a lot of good for the various powers. In the almost 10 years that they have appeared in the lands there have never been any confirmed evil deed done by one of their order, that has not been "proven" to be a renegade or impostor. [/sblock][/OCC]

Meanwhile Tirion moves about and through the crowd, noting the level of bloodlust and greed in the eyes of many here. One man, dressed in fine robes and surrounded by four heavily armed guards takes notice of the cleric and steps forward saying "You look like a fighting man, come to partake in a some good-natured roughhousing?"

Remove ads