D&D 5E [IC] Against the Slavelords

Zeromaru X

Arkhosian scholar and coffee lover
[section]Even as oblivious as he was about non-elves, Alegast felt the tension in the table. He overheard the conversations of his companions and tried to look so not preoccupied. "Maybe I'm underestimating these folks...? My tutors warned me about doing that when I left Celene".

"I like Brak's idea", he said trying to look cool.
[/section]

[sblock='Mini-Stat Block']
Alegast - Wizard (Bladesinger) 5th level
Initiative: +3 Perception: +4
Passive Perception: 14
Passive Investigation: 17
Speed: 30' (40' while Bladesong active)

AC: 15 (Studded leather + Dex) - 19 (while Bladesong active)
HP 27/27

In Hand:Rapier
Off Hand: Wand (of the War Wizard +1)

Prepared Spells:
1st: Absorb Elements, Burning Hands, Magic Missile, Shield
2nd: Magic Weapon, Mirror Image, Misty Step
3rd: Fireball, Vampiric Touch

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 4/4
2nd: 3/3
3rd: 2/2

Active Spells: (c) denotes concentration
None

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
After Adreek leaves and moves back behind the bar, the group can discuss their plans without too much attention but Evendur and Cedric still notice that the group in the next table are still watching them. They relaxed a bit when Adreek moved on but they are still tense... as if they are waiting for something...

[OCC] Just want to make sure the group is in agreement about leaving before I move you to the Devil's Den or Lusty Lady...[/OCC]

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]Levanna let out a breath. The rhythmic clunks of the dwarf's retreating steps were as sweet as birds tweeting after a heavy rainstorm.

Finally able to speak freely with her companions, she straightened in her chair, leaned forward, and said "Must we remain here? If our business in this common area is concluded, then I would rather get a room and retire. Or better still, be on our way. The barkeep's warm words were the shell of an egg, concealing ill intent beneath. And it's a feeling I get from most here..."
[/section]

[sblock='Mini Stat Block']
Levanna (Wizard 5) 5th level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Passive Perception: 12
Speed: 30'

AC: 14 (Mage Armor + Dex + shield)
HP 32/32

In Hand:Quarterstaff
Off Hand: None

Spell Save DC: 14

Prepared Spells:
1st: Mage Armor, Shield, Feather Fall, Disguise Self, Magic Missile,
2nd: Misty Step, Suggestion, Invisibility
3rd: Counterspell

Spell slots remaining/Spell slots total:
1st: 3/4
2nd: 2/3

Active Spells (c) denotes concentration
Mage Armor

Character Sheet
[/sblock]

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tirion Cayde, Cleric Level 5 (Life)

Elredd/The Broken Rutter
Day 1/Night

Tirion nodded to Levanna. “Yes, milady,” he said. “Perhaps a new venue might be nice. We were warned, after all. Brak, you wish to fight?” Tirion looked to the big pit fighter with a bit of distaste. “It will, perhaps, allow us time to make some inquiries,” he mused. “We can try and make our way out of the city later and find a farmstead on the road.”

Tirion finished his ale and put the mug down, gathering up his pack again. “Let us be on before it gets too late and we are forced to wake a poor farmer from his well-deserved slumber.”

[sblock=OOC]On to the Devil’s Den! Or the Lusty Lady.[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +0
Perception: +4 (Passive: 14)
Speed: 30
AC: 20 (plate and shield)
HP: 33/33 HD: 5/5d8
Main Hand: None
Off Hand: Shield

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Mending, Sacred Flame
1st: Bless, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Command
2nd: Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon, Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: Beacon of Hope, Revivify, Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic, Mass Healing Word

Spell Slots Remaining/Total

Conditions: Guidance ©
[/sblock]

Forged Fury

First Post
Brak Blood-Bear, 5th Level Barbarian

“Brak, you wish to fight?” Tirion looked to the big pit fighter with a bit of distaste.

Brak looked at the noble as if he was crazy. Do I wish to fight? Who does not wish to fight? Perhaps this is one of those rhe... ray... one of those questions that isn't a question. He kept his inner monologue to himself and, in the event it was not one of those questions, slowly nodded for Tirion's benefit, to make sure that the cleric understood that Brak, indeed, wished to fight.

Scotley

Hero
Kelvyn Human Rogue

Kelvyn shrugs, "I get the impression we are going to fight here sooner or later no matter what we do. Might as well do it on our terms in an organized fashion."

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Tirion Cayde, Cleric Level 5 (Life)

Elredd/The Broken Rutter
Day 1/Night

Tirion sighed, giving Brak a look as well. It wasn’t that he couldn’t hold his own in a fight when it came to that, but he had no love of smashing someone’s skull in with his mace. He would rather have a good and just reason to fight.

“Then let us be off,” he said, moving over to Levanna and offering her a hand up. “Let us get Brak his entertainment and find suitable lodgings at this...Lusty Lady.” He felt such an establishment might not be the best place for Levanna, but the Mad Elf seemed to think it safer than the Broken Rutter.

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +0
Perception: +4 (Passive: 14)
Speed: 30
AC: 20 (plate and shield)
HP: 33/33 HD: 5/5d8
Main Hand: None
Off Hand: Shield

Prepared Spells:
Cantrips: Guidance, Thaumaturgy, Mending, Sacred Flame
1st: Bless, Cure Wounds, Healing Word, Guiding Bolt, Command
2nd: Lesser Restoration, Spiritual Weapon, Prayer of Healing, Hold Person, Blindness/Deafness
3rd: Beacon of Hope, Revivify, Spirit Guardians, Dispel Magic, Mass Healing Word

Spell Slots Remaining/Total

Conditions: Guidance ©
[/sblock]

GreenKarl

First Post
The group heads out of Broken Rutter and get the sense that they are being watched. Evendur notices that the dwarf Draken (the one with the tattooed arms) makes some gesture to the table next to yours that he makes out as “Wait”. No one tries to stop them and back outside the half-orc is still standing loyally by Kelvyn horse, holding the reins.

[OCC – depends on what you want to do with the horse again. The half-orc will follow along and keep protecting it if you want, etc. [/OCC]

Moving deeper into the village the group can now see the wooden palisade that surrounds it. A large stone fort also comes into view. Torches and lanterns are blazing around it and you can see that on the roof there are serval huge wooden carving of roaming dragons.

[OCC anyone who wish can make a religion roll, but as this is somewhat obscure it is a difficult check…
[sblock=Religion 15+]You believe that the dragons are religious symbols of something called the Earth Dragon or the Serpent of the Deep. It is an rarely practiced cult of ancient Suloisie peoples rumored to be dark and depraved. But then most of ancient Suloisie culture is often seen as dark and depraved.[/sblock]
[sblock=Religion 20+]The Earth Dragon cult was very much about appeasing some ancient demigod that the old Suloisie cults sacrificed living being to. They were said to fight many of the old druidic orders as they had little regard for the ancient forests or the creatures that dwelled within them. Almost no one worships it anymore and yet here is a huge display to this ancient demigod. [/sblock]
[/OCC]

The group quickly finds the Devil’s Den, a large wooden structure with a lot of noise coming from within. Two large half-orcs are standing guard outside but they don’t ask any questions or seem to be looking to charge any entrances fee, they are just looking menacing outside.

Inside it is all one large smoke filled with a fighting pit dug into the central area. Around it are several rows of benches to allow a good viewing of the fighting pit area. At present the room is full of about forty individuals, yelling, screaming and laughing as the watch the action below. Almost everyone here is wearing some form of armor and carrying multiple weapons. There are a few well-dressed merchant types but they are surrounded by any number of menacing guards.

Once the group moves to the benches to get a view of the fight they see that within the pit there is a large black bear, chained to one wall and on the other wall is a dirty scruffy looking human male, wearing only short pants and wielding a short spear. This man is also chained to the opposite wall. The chains allow the two to almost reach the opposite walls but not quite as still out of the reach of the bear, straining at its chain, the human is trying to hold the enraged animal back with his spear.

The crowd is turning ugly, shouting for the man to fight the bear and the group can see that some heavily armed men with long poles are moving over to push the man in the pit to within reach of the bear…

Forged Fury

First Post
Brak Blood-Bear, 5th Level Barbarian

At the scene in the pit below, Brak's eyes go red. "What?!?" he yelled. "What sport is this? This is an insult!" Looking for the pit master, Brak shouldered his way through the crowd. "This is no contest! That scrawny piece of jerky stands no chance." Turning to the crowd, Brak raised his voice to a truly daunting level. "I, Brak Blood-Bear, will fight the bear. I will even fight it bare-handed! Not bear-handed, but with no weapons, you know what I mean?"

Last edited:

BlueLotus

Explorer
[section]
"Thank you,"Levanna said as she smiled and placed her hand in Tirion's. She stood, turned, retrieved her bag, and followed the group out the door.

"Well done sir," Levanna said to the half-orc minding the horse. She produced a silver piece from her pouch. "May we hire your services guarding the animal for the rest of the night?" she asked, handing over the coin.

When the group entered the Devil's Den, Levanna felt a strange relief in the cacophony. All eyes were focused on the pit below. She used the opportunity to draw her staff from the depths of her Bag of Holding. If the party drew unwanted attention anyway, she might as well be at full capacity, she reasoned. Levanna straightened her shoulders and her back, feeling her confidence return.
[/section]

[sblock=OOC]I'll keep the half-orc doorman in tow to guard the horse for the night unless anyone objects. The silver piece is for fair pay for a fair night's work, plus he'll get another after dismissed for the inconvenience.

My original post was made after GreenKarl posted that we left the Broken Rudder, but I didn't refresh the thread before posting. So I updated my post once I read where we went. It included a perception check to see if Levanna noticed anyone taking a new or renewed interest in the group as they stood to leave. I don't think it's important anymore but if it was, the result was 10.

Perception roll [roll]1d20+2[/roll][/sblock]

[sblock='Mini Stat Block']
Levanna (Wizard 5) 5th level
Initiative: +1 Perception: +2
Passive Perception: 12
Speed: 30'

AC: 14 (Mage Armor + Dex)
HP 32/32

In Hand:Quarterstaff
Off Hand: None

Spell Save DC: 14