OD&D OD&D Now In PDF on DnDClassics

Is this the WOTC print, or an actual wood/white/oce?

Is this the WOTC print, or an actual wood/white/oce?

Yesterday, OD&D Dungeons & Dragons Original Edition was added to WotC's D&D Classics storefront in PDF format. By Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson, this 1974 classic was released as a 2013 Collector's Edition. You can pick it up for $9.99 for 122 pages (three books) of old-school goodness. It's hard to exaggerate the importance of the OD&D rules not just to D&D, but to the roleplaying game hobby as a whole - it was the first tabletop roleplaying game.

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.49.29.png

The download package includes four PDFs - Book I: Men & Magic; Book II: Monsters & Treasure; and Book III: The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures; plus a PDF containing 20 pages of reference sheets. I'd go into more detail on the history of this edition, but the product page on D&D Classics contains a very in-depth summary by Shannon Appelcline which more than thoroughly does the job! If you're at all interested in the history of the hobby, or in old-school gaming, you owe it to yourself to pick this up.

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.51.32.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.52.51.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.49.29.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.49.29.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 12,058
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.51.32.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.51.32.png
    506 KB · Views: 3,557
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.52.51.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 16.52.51.png
    461.1 KB · Views: 3,563
Last edited by a moderator:

Downloading now, it's being realllllly reeeeeeally slow. 20 mins! But on the ODD74 forum someone mentioned it was just Books 1-3, so the others are due out soon, I hope!

The preview shows the WotC logo instead of Copyright TSR on page 2, so I guess it is the premium reprint. The preview doesn't show the cover page.

People who have previously purchased it are getting access again, too :D

JeffB

Legend
Downloading now, it's being realllllly reeeeeeally slow. 20 mins! But on the ODD74 forum someone mentioned it was just Books 1-3, so the others are due out soon, I hope!

The preview shows the WotC logo instead of Copyright TSR on page 2, so I guess it is the premium reprint. The preview doesn't show the cover page.

People who have previously purchased it are getting access again, too :D

Disappointed, but thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

I also didn't read the description lol

First published in January 1974, the original edition rules of Dungeons & Dragons would go on to see six different printings. This edition is for the Original Collector's Edition released By Wizards of the Coast in 2013, which was itself a revision of the 6th and final printing, the "Original Collector’s Edition" or white box edition.

Big J Money

Adventurer
I splurged on the premium reprint because I've never gotten anything premium D&D before, and that era of D&D is probably the one I like most these days. Although technically I prefer the OSR variations of it.

It did feel a little like being on dial up! It was a whole bunch of PDFs and I am all The way over The Pacific in NZ. The whole website was being slow, but it got there. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads