D&D 5E So what's the scoop on D&D in PDF Format?

Why? Yes there are good reasons to do so, there are also bad ones. Just like users have different needs and priorities, why shouldn't companies be able to make their own valuations and decisions?
Because locking a game behind DRM and preventing users from archiving the things they have purchased for personal use is both an anti-consumer practice and hostile to the historical preservation of RPGs as an art form.

Because locking a game behind DRM and preventing users from archiving the things they have purchased for personal use is both an anti-consumer practice and hostile to the historical preservation of RPGs as an art form.
And yet for some reason the one company in the RPG market that does all those anti-consumer and hostile things happens to also be far and above the most successful and the one that has done the most toward the development of RPGs as an art form. Interesting dichotomy.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
And yet for some reason the one company in the RPG market that does all those anti-consumer and hostile things happens to also be far and above the most successful and the one that has done the most toward the development of RPGs as an art form. Interesting dichotomy.
IP control plus marketing equals massive influence. Doesn't mean that's the best way to preserve an art form.

dave2008

Legend
That's true of everything, and "X is good except when it is bad" is not a good argument for not producing X.

Every rpg company should produce PDFs, and those that don't want to use them can avoid them.
I assume you read the rest of my quote? I also wished for both, not sure why you suggested I didn't

mamba

Legend
I’d like for you to make the case that they do the most for RPGs as an art form

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Why? Yes there are good reasons to do so, there are also bad ones. Just like users have different needs and priorities, why shouldn't companies be able to make their own valuations and decisions?
They should be able to, and they are able to. I understand the business reasons WotC chooses not to sell their current materials in PDF, but there are many good reasons why it would be good if they did (others have posted many of those reasons above).

I would also like to see WotC offer more bundling of D&D Beyond with books and work with VTT companies to support more portability or discounts. At least here, at least with DnD Beyond, they are making cautious steps in this direction. It'll be interesting what they do with their 3D VTT. If they wanted to quickly become very (unfairly?) competitive vs. the other major VTTs, they would just charge a reasonable subscription for using the WotC VTT but any adventures you own in DDB would be available for no extra cost in their VTT.

Last edited:

Remove ads