D&D 5E So what's the scoop on D&D in PDF Format?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Licensed games often end up hard to get in PDF. I am pretty sure you couldn't get PDFs of FFGs Star Wars games. But it isn't universal. Modiphius puts out all of their licensed games in PDF.
This is a very good point. Star Wars in general has had issues. After the licenses drop, I'm sure Lucas Arts doesn't want them available.

Staffan

Legend
Licensed games often end up hard to get in PDF. I am pretty sure you couldn't get PDFs of FFGs Star Wars games. But it isn't universal. Modiphius puts out all of their licensed games in PDF.
I believe the Star Wars situation has something to do with how the Star Wars license are split between different companies – something about the wording in the Star Wars RPG license dating back to the West End Games days and not allowing PDFs, because they count as electronic games, and EA has that license. There's probably some hair-splitting going on there as well because FFG (and Edge) does make PDF support material, up to and including companion apps for some games, freely available. It sounds like something Disney (a) could fix when renegotiating the licenses, but (b) doesn't believe is worth the effort because RPG PDFs is a niche within a niche.

Remove ads