• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Working on a Star Wars Jedi campaign, need some advice.

KnockingDevil

First Post
So I'm working on a new Star Wars Campaign, the basic premise of it is this. All of the players will all start out as Jedi Younglings and do things from learning how to use the force to finding and building their first lightsaber. Eventually they will progress to Padawans and then Jedi Knights.
That's the only part I'm 100% certain on yet. I'm still trying to decide when to set this. Before movies, if so how long before. After movies, if so how long. During the movies? Any advice/ opinions on this would be awesome.
I'm also not 100% sure just yet which system I want to use for this, I'm not too familiar with most of the SW rps out there and I know there are a few. So any advice on this would be greatly appreciated
I think that's most of it, I guess also if you have any cool things to share about Jedi training/ anything in that vein that would be cool too. So that's it, if you have anything to share please do!!

Chimpy

First Post
If you want them to eventually become actual Jedi then it would probably be best before Order 66 occurs - i.e. before Episode 3.

If you're not bothered about the proper Jedi order and just want to the characters to become "like a Jedi" then it doesn't really matter. The period of the original trilogy is the most widely detailed and covered.

In the FFG system force sensitive characters start out as having hardly any force powers at all, and very gradually gain them over time as they earn and spend XP, investing in the force talent trees, so that might suit you. I don't know anything about the old star wars systems.

Force and Destiny has details about making lightsabres and finding the crystals for them.

Quickleaf

Legend
So I'm working on a new Star Wars Campaign, the basic premise of it is this. All of the players will all start out as Jedi Younglings and do things from learning how to use the force to finding and building their first lightsaber. Eventually they will progress to Padawans and then Jedi Knights.
That's the only part I'm 100% certain on yet. I'm still trying to decide when to set this. Before movies, if so how long before. After movies, if so how long. During the movies? Any advice/ opinions on this would be awesome.
I'm also not 100% sure just yet which system I want to use for this, I'm not too familiar with most of the SW rps out there and I know there are a few. So any advice on this would be greatly appreciated
I think that's most of it, I guess also if you have any cool things to share about Jedi training/ anything in that vein that would be cool too. So that's it, if you have anything to share please do!!

I can only speak to Star Wars SAGA d20, since that's all I know. A great system that has easy multi-classing. So you could start the youngling PCs off as some non-Jedi class (noble, scout, scoundrel, or solder, heck there's even a droid class), and then let them select a Jedi as a class at the time you feel is appropriate. Low level characters aren't particularly tough in SAGA, so you could probably get by running younglings with it; I think around 4th-6th level is when characters feel fully formed in SAGA.

There were also guides put out for SAGA for various eras of the SW universe. I'd agree with [MENTION=99474]Chimpy[/MENTION] to go with something before Order 66. In SAGA that means the Clone Wars book or the Knights of the Old Republic book (I have the later and it's great).

SAGA is familiar to anyone familiar with d20 games, has some nicely streamlined stuff (though several things, like the talents and the droid/starship construction) are unnecessarily fiddly, and the books are just beautiful. Only problem is SAGA is out of print without any legal PDF versions, and they can run you a bit of money. There's a decent online resource for the game here: http://www.starwarsrpgindex.com/ And the Order66 podcast had lots of cool ideas for it, before switching focus to the acclaimed FFG treatment of the SW universe.

ccs

41st lv DM
I'd start it slightly before Phantom Menace. That way the characters can have Episodes I-III as a backdrop, interact with Anikin, & fight in the Clone Wars as novice Jedi.

Don't forget, this youngling - padawan - Jedi arc is going to take YEARS of in-game time. So you might want to seriously slow down the xp gain of whichever system you choose. Otherwise you'll have zero-to-hero in an unbelievable (even for a SW story) short period.

And I'd end the campaign by having Darth Vader TPK them.

Remove ads