• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SRD confusion

dekrass

Explorer
I'm preparing to run my first game of NEW, and I've been looking at the SRD for rules that aren't in the books yet. I noticed a couple of odd things in the SRD.
First, there's a bit in the SRD under derived statistics that says you add your skill dice with a weapon to damage as a flat bonus. I didn't see that in future careers anywhere. Is that a mistake in the SRD or an omission in the book?

Also, there's conflicting information in the SRD about Luck. The part under Attributes says you use it to replace another Attribute for one roll once per day, but there's a separate Luck section that has the Luck Attribute as a pool to enhance other attribute rolls. Since the former rule is in the Future Careers book I'm guessing that's the correct rule, but I was hoping for some clarification.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The damage bonus is in the equipment books where it describes weapon damage.

image.jpeg

LUCK is the pool; it can be used to do various things. It replaced attributes in early play tests before it evolved into its present form. The LUCK rules are in Future Core, Fantasy Core, and Modern Core (Future Core is imminent, BTW).

It sounds like you found a legacy reference in the careers book - thanks for spotting it. I'll add it to the errata! Where does it say that, BTW? I just checked Future Careers under the LUC entry in the attributes section, and it has the dice pool correctly referenced, not the replacement. Is there another reference somewhere?

Last edited:

dekrass

Explorer
Thanks for the quick reply.
I overlooked the damage part in the equipment guide.

I thought I saw a reference to the non-pool version of Luck in Future Careers, but apparently I was mistaken. Sorry for the confusion.

On the subject of errata, page 52 of Careers seems to be missing a word in the last sentence. It says "For RANGED DEFENSE, the quality of your or shield be used". I assume it should say armor or shield.

dekrass

Explorer
I assumed armor could apply because Fantasy Careers has almost that same line, but says armor or shield. It's on page 44. Is the rule different in the two games?

Remove ads